U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 12:29 PM

5,430 posts, read 3,875,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
What does that matter? The Cuban-American community took what was a small beach retirement city (Miami), and transformed it into an international globally renowned metropolis. Why are you bringing illegals into this conversation?

And yes, there are illegals in Southwest Florida, as well as large LEGAL immigrant communities. The rich retirees would be helpless without them.
I am just wondering who the 3 or 4 million residents are. Are more Cubans still coming from Cuba? I can't imagine there are many illegals from Mexico?? (just because of the geography of things).
(BTW I assume you meant SE Florida).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2016, 12:31 PM

4,780 posts, read 5,319,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Billions upon billions of dollars are not sunk into development without a return.
When the developers grease the politicians...which is non stop here...isn't that the return?

Old 02-13-2016, 02:17 PM

22,094 posts, read 9,380,714 times
Quote:
But in a state of 20 million, is a million more in "peak season" really such a big deal??

I was amazed at the number of luxury cars.......I mean top end. At least a third of the cars I saw were in that category.

All I could think of is that the tourism industry is BOOMING in SE Florida. Is the New York money (much of it the Jewish community) still a huge chunk? Or maybe it's still the huge drug money coming in?
I just can't imagine that things like polo can be much to build a great economy on.
It isn't drug money. There are many different factors fueling the economy in SE Florida. Everyone I know is fully employed, and the wages are pretty decent.

"Strong gains in international trade, tourism, construction, and profession and technical services are all fueling the gains..."

"Last year's surge in the growth of the South Florida economy was led by the finance, insurance, real estate, rental and leasing sector, said economist Ralph Rodriguez at the Bureau of Economic Analysis. That sector accounted for more than a third of the rise in the local economy, he said...Indeed, new construction accounted for only 0.2 percent of South Florida's economic growth, according to the federal data. South Florida's second-highest economic increase was in professional and business services, adding 0.79 percent to last year/s economic growth, Rodriguez said..."

South Florida's growing economy beats US average - Sun Sentinel

Florida

Old 02-13-2016, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
It isn't drug money. There are many different factors fueling the economy in SE Florida. Everyone I know is fully employed, and the wages are pretty decent.

"Strong gains in international trade, tourism, construction, and profession and technical services are all fueling the gains..."

"Last year's surge in the growth of the South Florida economy was led by the finance, insurance, real estate, rental and leasing sector, said economist Ralph Rodriguez at the Bureau of Economic Analysis. That sector accounted for more than a third of the rise in the local economy, he said...Indeed, new construction accounted for only 0.2 percent of South Florida's economic growth, according to the federal data. South Florida's second-highest economic increase was in professional and business services, adding 0.79 percent to last year/s economic growth, Rodriguez said..."

South Florida's growing economy beats US average - Sun Sentinel

Florida
Thanks for the good info. The quote makes it sound as if NEW construction isn't the hugest thing, but suggests that OVERALL construction is a major factor right now??

All I know from my limited travel was that there is an ungodly amount of money and wealth flowing around SE Florida at the moment, and secondly, there is just incredible sprawl taking place (do the Everglades or Keys even stand a chance, in the long-run?).

Thanks for your posts everyone. Interesting info.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:40 AM

8,706 posts, read 8,778,625 times
Quote:
Just returned from a week driving through the area, including the keys. Am I wrong? Seems like the area is absolutely booming.
Yep. Florida is a great place to be and there is a ton of money flooding in. Just check out all the interest in the Tampa Bay area alone. Big changes are a coming.

The Rules ~ Infractions & Deletions ~ Who's the moderator? ~ FAQ ~ Personal Attacks ~ Trolling ~ Copyrighted Material

Old 02-14-2016, 08:32 AM

8,964 posts, read 6,214,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
Yep. Florida is a great place to be and there is a ton of money flooding in. Just check out all the interest in the Tampa Bay area alone. Big changes are a coming.

Big changes? In what way do you mean?

Old 02-14-2016, 11:56 AM

9,663 posts, read 6,962,505 times
Quote:
I was just using them as an example. The point is that the scale of new development (commercial and otherwise) in the area is astounding. Who is paying to build all of these places, and then who is paying to shop in them or be customers there? For the residential, who is paying to buy them?
Billions upon billions of dollars are not sunk into development without a return.
I get your point, and it's true. You do see quite a bit of overbuilding, things like strip shopping centers even malls, and in some places infrastructure, ie, platted roads, that sit empty and idle to this day. I was just thinking from your post that it doesn't seem that the Big Pharma drug stores are among that group. Of all the CVS and Walgreens drug stores I've ever seen pop up jn new locations, I have only seen one that didn't take off. And that one was "repurposed" into a check-cashing store about a year later.

Old 02-14-2016, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I get your point, and it's true. You do see quite a bit of overbuilding, things like strip shopping centers even malls, and in some places infrastructure, ie, platted roads, that sit empty and idle to this day. I was just thinking from your post that it doesn't seem that the Big Pharma drug stores are among that group. Of all the CVS and Walgreens drug stores I've ever seen pop up jn new locations, I have only seen one that didn't take off. And that one was "repurposed" into a check-cashing store about a year later.
Good post. I did see lots of CVS and Walgreens (newish). But there are 100 other chains that are putting new locations up seemingly everywhere, also.
So when I saw that level of development, I wondered, "who is using all of these new places?? Most tourists wouldn't go to many of these places. Where is everybody getting all the money necessary to support this level of development............or alternatively, is this overdevelopment, and it's going to crash and burn??"

Old 02-14-2016, 01:38 PM

17,432 posts, read 10,504,982 times
Quote:
Good post. I did see lots of CVS and Walgreens (newish). But there are 100 other chains that are putting new locations up seemingly everywhere, also.
So when I saw that level of development, I wondered, "who is using all of these new places?? Most tourists wouldn't go to many of these places. Where is everybody getting all the money necessary to support this level of development............or alternatively, is this overdevelopment, and it's going to crash and burn??"
I am glad So FL is booming as that means where I want to Live in FL will not be as crowded. keep it up.

Old 02-14-2016, 01:44 PM

12,135 posts, read 13,205,272 times
Quote:
Supposedly the level of fraud and crime in the Miami area is high (have heard this from a number of people). This would be white collar fraud, racketeering, drugs rings, etc.
Is this true, and if so, is it just tolerated because of all the cash it brings in?

(I hate to say it, but the entire state seems to have quite the reputation for a lack of..........morals, let's just say...)
" white collar fraud, racketeering, drugs rings, etc."

Try NYC, Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles or any other large U.S. metropolitan area and tell me that the same thing does not exist and has existed for decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or