U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 09:34 PM

9,661 posts, read 6,962,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
I am NPA and one thing I like about the area we live in FL is that it is a nice blend of political philosophy, rather than mainly conservative or mainly liberal. Having lived in places which were mainly liberal, it was a breath of fresh air to be in an area with more diverse views. Of course there are still harcore people here, such as my far right wing born again intolerant in-laws.

The thing I find funny when people complain about people in FL, is that they are usually complaining about people who are originally from up nawth.....LOL!

I would love to know some specifics the OP is referring to in the opening post.

LOL, I hope you aren't holding your breath waiting for that.

Old 02-13-2016, 10:09 PM

882 posts, read 1,921,213 times
I haven't been back here in about three years since I moved away from FL, but I find it funny that the original post was posted earlier today and it already elicited 6 pages of responses. There are a lot of people who gave FL a try, including the OP and myself. I left FL without resentment and in fact gratitude of my time there, but it wasn't for me for the long term, to be exact, for the last one-third of my life.

Why can't people accept the fact the there are some things that are not so great about the state of FL and leave it at that? Why do they feel they have to defend staying if you're happy there? There are some good things about it, great place to vacation like someone said earlier, but some people don't want to deal with the ordeal of daily living, so wish them well and good luck. There are negatives about every place, but I just find it intriguing how polarizing the state of FL can be. Yes people will move in to take the OP's place, but there will be as many who will also leave, isn't FL one of the most transient states?

Good luck to the OP, hope you find happiness in your next place to live, and for those who are happy staying in FL, good for you, much peace and happiness.

Old 02-14-2016, 01:18 AM

8,706 posts, read 8,778,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
[/b]LOL, I hope you aren't holding your breath waiting for that.
I was. I passed out and just came to.

The Rules ~ Infractions & Deletions ~ Who's the moderator? ~ FAQ ~ Personal Attacks ~ Trolling ~ Copyrighted Material

Old 02-14-2016, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
I love NC. which part are you headed to?
We left the Raleigh area of NC to move to Palm Harbor. Huge upgrade, with one exception. Nicer drivers in NC. Other than that, this part of Florida has that part of NC beat solidly for us. Of course, YMMV. That area of NC was pleasant to live in, mind you. However this area of FL just has a lot more to offer us and saving over $10k in state income tax is a nice perk.

The Rules ~ Infractions & Deletions ~ Who's the moderator? ~ FAQ ~ Personal Attacks ~ Trolling ~ Copyrighted Material

Old 02-14-2016, 01:35 AM

Quote:
But people have been leaving FL for NC for years now.
Yep. Called halfbackers. People from further north come to FL, decide heat lasts too long and/or want more change of season and halfback it to NC. So, NC end up with the same transplants we do. I guess that accounts for the similar types of complaining about things in NC posts found in the NC forum. Ironic.

Old 02-14-2016, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrome View Post
I haven't been back here in about three years since I moved away from FL, but I find it funny that the original post was posted earlier today and it already elicited 6 pages of responses. There are a lot of people who gave FL a try, including the OP and myself. I left FL without resentment and in fact gratitude of my time there, but it wasn't for me for the long term, to be exact, for the last one-third of my life.

Why can't people accept the fact the there are some things that are not so great about the state of FL and leave it at that? Why do they feel they have to defend staying if you're happy there? There are some good things about it, great place to vacation like someone said earlier, but some people don't want to deal with the ordeal of daily living, so wish them well and good luck. There are negatives about every place, but I just find it intriguing how polarizing the state of FL can be. Yes people will move in to take the OP's place, but there will be as many who will also leave, isn't FL one of the most transient states?

Good luck to the OP, hope you find happiness in your next place to live, and for those who are happy staying in FL, good for you, much peace and happiness.
It's an open forum. The OP made a few very broad, but vague statements and people are replying with their experience. That is pretty much what happens in forums. I have asked the OP to provide more detail with some examples, so we can drill down a bit......however no followup to this point. Sometimes the issue is not really the state. It could be the particular area of the state one chose, such as an active younger person buying in Naples. Or a person who likes a slow pace of life and lots of space who bought in Miami.

See, these details would be nice as then one can have a very enlightening and open minded discussion which could benefit many readers. That beats "FL wrecked my life, so I am leaving you in my dust" type post. Very rarely, if ever, is an entire state the actual core problem of one's issues. There are pros and cons to each and every state and no one place is best for everyone. Thank god for that, as FL is already so popular that it has passed NY as the third most populated state. There is a reason for the many accolades about many parts of Florida and a reason why many companies and people are moving here. Not all the same reasons, but a group of reasons.

Old 02-14-2016, 05:37 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,142,597 times
Quote:
I love NC. which part are you headed to?
Huntersville/Corneulis area just north of Charlotte. Hubby has a finance degree and Charlotte is a great place for finance. He's a govt worker here now so with rent being some of the highest and govt pay its just not working. Overall I think we NC is going to be a better place to raise our daughter. My sister and mother also left Fla for NC this year. We r the last to go.

Old 02-14-2016, 05:41 AM

9,661 posts, read 6,962,505 times
Quote:
Yep. Called halfbackers. People from further north come to FL, decide heat lasts too long and/or want more change of season and halfback it to NC. So, NC end up with the same transplants we do. I guess that accounts for the similar types of complaining about things in NC posts found in the NC forum. Ironic.
I first heard that expression "halfbackers" from friends of ours who met here in FL and married-both had been retired and widowed. He was originally from Rhode Island, I think it was, and she was a FL native, having spent most of her life in St. Pete and later in Ft. Myers. He said he had always wanted a house in NC, and she had kept the condo she owned after they married. So they sold his house, bought one in a small town in the mountains of NC close to where she has family. They spend most of the winters here in FL, and the rest of the time in NC. I guess that makes them part snowbird and for him, at least, part halfbacker, but since she is a FL native, I'm not sure you could call her that.

I've been in FL for eons (moved to Miami in the late 70's after I finished graduate school),,and have loved my life here, even with the warts that are part of everyday life anywhere you go. I've met a number of FL natives-more on this side of the state than in the SE, but think that may be a function of the sheer numbers of people over there, maybe you just don't run into them there. I'd say as to the "type"of people those natives may be, IMO they cross the spectrum of human nature, and it certainly is unfair to categorize everyone who was born and raised in the Sunshine state as an uneducated, lazy, intolerant redneck. And that is not what I have found at all.

As for moving to NC, there are times I think it would be the best of both worlds to have a house in the mountains somewhere, and to be able to bundle up the FL house during the hottest parts of the year and spend them in the mountains. Maybe NC, maybe in northern GA, somewhere in the Appalacians, I think- I'd love the Rockies but that is so far to travel for these collective old bones ( mine and DH's). Don't think it's going to happen though, we love it where we are now, and DH thinks its paradise.

Old 02-14-2016, 06:02 AM

4,780 posts, read 5,319,176 times
Quote:
It's an open forum. The OP made a few very broad, but vague statements and people are replying with their experience. That is pretty much what happens in forums. I have asked the OP to provide more detail with some examples, so we can drill down a bit......however no followup to this point. Sometimes the issue is not really the state.

That beats "FL wrecked my life, so I am leaving you in my dust" type post. Very rarely, if ever, is an entire state the actual core problem of one's issues. .
The OP was pretty clear with what they didn't like about the state.
Florida isn't for everyone and that's why it's so transient.

Asking someone to "prove" why they don't like it is like asking someone to prove why they don't like a certain genre of music or food.

It's a matter of opinion.
We all don't have to have the same opinion.
And that's ok

Old 02-14-2016, 07:07 AM

11,305 posts, read 7,662,140 times
Florida gets a bad rap, that's why some people feel defensive. I personally love it. I moved here seven and a half years ago and never plan to move back up north where I grew up, I would rather move to Mobile Alabama that move back up north.

Soon Florida will have more people than NY and will be the third most populated state. Every day about 1000 people move here, many from NY state. I think it's a good thing that some people do not like it. If everyone loved it, it would get very crowded. Mind you besides south east Florida there is a lot of room for more people in other parts of Florida.

NC is popular because it's still cheaper than up north, and it's only about a 12 hour drive to get back to the NY area. But it's too cold for me, just checked online and Rocky Mount NC is 21 degrees at 9am.

I moved to Florida to get away from the cold. I hate the cold and snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida