Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 09:48 AM

472 posts, read 668,721 times

Advertisements

IMO most Florida people are cool, except some economically-challenged individuals that are not trust-worthy. I don't care too much about rude people as mentioned in some posts in this thread. Rude people don't bother me as long as they are not violent people. However I can't tolerate dishonest people. How many people out of the state has been fallen victims of Florida scammers? This doesn't help the reputation of the state. I have been ripped off by people I trusted. I really feel bad about these people.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:56 AM

910 posts, read 2,331,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
It's not being "offended" it is the ridiculous stuff people come up with. In my 27+ years here I have never seen the situations some describe. It appears that some people decide to live in the most desolate parts of their city/town/county. If you live in a slum the people that live there are going to be exactly what one would expect. Perhaps they travel in the wrong circles.

I spent 17 years in Orlando. I left due to the wild growth. I was 3 miles from downtown. The traffic got out of hand, the lines of people everywhere. Supermarket, bank, tax collectors office, etc.

They never state where they intend to go next.

What do people in other areas due when bad weather hits? Hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, snow/ice storms, earthquakes? They live through them.
Just curious Spring Hillian, where did you end up moving to after leaving Orlando? Stayed within FL I guess? Maybe had I lived in a coastal town, we would still be there, cooler off the coast and not as crowded because it costs more to live in an expensive area, right? You have to pay more to live away from the masses, so the majority of the populus can't invade which is what happened to Orlando.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:00 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesebugle View Post
Yeah, adding a lane here or there (and taking forever and a day to do so) to existing roads which has been shown in countless studies to be a very ineffectual method of traffic mitigation. Whoopie. Maybe instead they should design a more logical grid pattern with more freeway ingress/egress for the areas that are experiencing exponential growth. Wait, no, too logical for FL.

Maybe less people should come to inhabit FL. Then the roads wont be so crowded.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrome View Post
Just curious Spring Hillian, where did you end up moving to after leaving Orlando? Stayed within FL I guess? Maybe had I lived in a coastal town, we would still be there, cooler off the coast and not as crowded because it costs more to live in an expensive area, right? You have to pay more to live away from the masses, so the majority of the populus can't invade which is what happened to Orlando.
After Orlando we moved 90 miles due west to Spring Hill. I am 5 miles from the water. It certainly is less crowded here because much of the surrounding area is preserved. If you go east from here there are ranches and farms, north is pretty much very rural. The COL here is less than we paid in Orlando. I dont think its cooler here perhaps less humid.

Orlando and the metro areas population increase had gotten to be more than we wanted to tolerate. Our house was directly across the road from Blue Jacket Park which is attached to Baldwin Park and we quickly saw an increase in traffic, longer lines at the supermarket, bank, everywhere, once it started to populate.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fengxg View Post
IMO most Florida people are cool, except some economically-challenged individuals that are not trust-worthy. I don't care too much about rude people as mentioned in some posts in this thread. Rude people don't bother me as long as they are not violent people. However I can't tolerate dishonest people. How many people out of the state has been fallen victims of Florida scammers? This doesn't help the reputation of the state. I have been ripped off by people I trusted. I really feel bad about these people.
Getting "scammed" is usually a result of the greed of the person being scammed. Common sense would tell most people that a price significantly less than the going rate may lead to problems or that a return on an investment is many times higher than the norm.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:26 AM

14,945 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
The hell? Where did I mention *income* tax specifically? I guess you see what you wanted to see so you could feel better about your reply.

No, I spelled it correctly.
I have seen criticisms by liberal left transplants about FL's lack of a state income tax. So maybe you don't want to limit tax increases to imposing a state income tax, maybe you'd rather see an across the board increase in property, sales, utilities, and service taxes then? I can guarantee you it wouldn't just be retirees objecting to such taxes.

And no, the word is Republican. Your spelling is the middle school mentality name calling aren't I clever ( although hardly original) version. The mentality of those who fancy that their regurgitated name calling for their political opponents substitutes for intelligent and thoughtful debate, or civil discourse.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:51 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,526,933 times
Quote:
Getting "scammed" is usually a result of the greed of the person being scammed. Common sense would tell most people that a price significantly less than the going rate may lead to problems or that a return on an investment is many times higher than the norm.

You mean like this? Especially when they were buying the land at pennies on the dollar, but who wouldn't trust a guy who played a cop on TV. Should of kept his bike and stayed in California.

Old 02-15-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Let me just make this clear - You're saying the person getting scammed is 100% at fault because they were too dumb to know better, right? None of the blame falls on the scammer, yes?
You need to take a reading comprehension course. "... is usually a result... "

Old 02-15-2016, 11:16 AM

910 posts, read 2,331,439 times
Quote:
After Orlando we moved 90 miles due west to Spring Hill. I am 5 miles from the water. It certainly is less crowded here because much of the surrounding area is preserved. If you go east from here there are ranches and farms, north is pretty much very rural. The COL here is less than we paid in Orlando. I dont think its cooler here perhaps less humid.

Orlando and the metro areas population increase had gotten to be more than we wanted to tolerate. Our house was directly across the road from Blue Jacket Park which is attached to Baldwin Park and we quickly saw an increase in traffic, longer lines at the supermarket, bank, everywhere, once it started to populate.
Ha, I could have guessed from your user name, lol. I moved in Orlando in 1997 and left 2012, very familiar with the sprawling growth in the areas you described, just when the Naval Training Center closed over there. They did made some great improvements on the east side of downtown, but as you said, the growth was no longer tolerable with the traffic despite the widening of 50, especially further east you go towards UCF, there's no relief actually until you pass Bithlo where the 50 and 520 split. You need to go somewhere either desolate, unincorporated or somewhere where the COL is extremely high, again, to get away from the masses. Too bad, Orlando metro area was a pleasant place when we just got there, probably could have still tolerated the extreme heat and humidity, but as soon as it got densely populated, it was tough to bear. I would do most of my shopping in Titusville instead of having to deal with that area in the corners of Alfaya and 50 and Alafaya/University.

Old 02-15-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrome View Post
Ha, I could have guessed from your user name, lol. I moved in Orlando in 1997 and left 2012, very familiar with the sprawling growth in the areas you described, just when the Naval Training Center closed over there. They did made some great improvements on the east side of downtown, but as you said, the growth was no longer tolerable with the traffic despite the widening of 50, especially further east you go towards UCF, there's no relief actually until you pass Bithlo where the 50 and 520 split. You need to go somewhere either desolate, unincorporated or somewhere where the COL is extremely high, again, to get away from the masses. Too bad, Orlando metro area was a pleasant place when we just got there, probably could have still tolerated the extreme heat and humidity, but as soon as it got densely populated, it was tough to bear. I would do most of my shopping in Titusville instead of having to deal with that area in the corners of Alfaya and 50 and Alafaya/University.
I would say you got there with the huge wave of new residents which I feel started in 1994. IMHO the key to finding the right place in FL (or anywhere) is to be as far from a major metro area as possible. In 94 we were looking at Clermont, Winter Garden, Ocoee and do the commute to Orlando using the East-West Expressway (SR 408). We had "discovered" Spring Hill in 98 but the timing to relocate was not good for us. We were lucky to have had perfect timing in 2005 with real estate prices in my neighborhood going sky high and factors that would reduce my salary by 20% had we chose to stay there. It was an easy decision to make.

I can understand the need to go further away from the city to shop. Orlando was a really nice place when we got there in 88.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida