U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 09:34 PM

13 posts, read 8,629 times

Advertisements

Anybody ever take their RV to the Keys? Preferably near Key West. My wife and I planning on driving our RV to the area but are not sure where to go. Anybody have any recommendations? Any places to avoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 01:11 AM

34,209 posts, read 41,163,630 times
If you do find an appropriate camp site i'd definitely call ahead and make reservations.As it can get crowded and camp grounds fill up fast.

Old 02-14-2016, 04:38 AM

3,547 posts, read 6,161,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Watts View Post
Anybody ever take their RV to the Keys? Preferably near Key West. My wife and I planning on driving our RV to the area but are not sure where to go. Anybody have any recommendations? Any places to avoid?
Reminds me of an old high school friend's experience last year. They RV every year in Naples. Last year they decided to hit the Keys and then go back North on I-95. They did not do a lot of planning because they did not plan to spend the night. Just a day trip and maybe have lunch somewhere was their plan. Turned out a little differently . All pictures were taken from inside the camper as they drove past because they could not find a place to park their camper with the car trailer on it anywhere in Key West.

Old 02-14-2016, 07:22 AM

4,769 posts, read 5,299,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If you do find an appropriate camp site i'd definitely call ahead and make reservations.As it can get crowded and camp grounds fill up fast.
Good advice!

Old 02-14-2016, 11:53 AM

13 posts, read 8,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Reminds me of an old high school friend's experience last year. They RV every year in Naples. Last year they decided to hit the Keys and then go back North on I-95. They did not do a lot of planning because they did not plan to spend the night. Just a day trip and maybe have lunch somewhere was their plan. Turned out a little differently . All pictures were taken from inside the camper as they drove past because they could not find a place to park their camper with the car trailer on it anywhere in Key West.
We're planning on taking a 2 week trip early April leaving from Long Island NY and stopping at campgrounds along and near I-95. Each campground I plan on already having reservations for at least 1 night each until we arrive in the Keys. Once there we would like to stay as close to Key West as we can for 3-4 days. I would defiantly not travel all that distance without having reservations somewhere.

Old 02-14-2016, 03:45 PM

772 posts, read 1,617,383 times
www.boydscampground.com boyds is just outside of key west easy bike or short taxi ride. also big pine key fishing lodge about 30 miles away from key west in big pine. there is a sugar loaf KOA about 20 miles outside key west. also Bahia Honda state park has rv spots right on the water. its a beautiful sight to see!!

Old 02-14-2016, 09:35 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,123,315 times
Yes, tons of people do this. That is actually sort of your problem. Everybody's advice to you applies, you do want to plan ahead and have reservations so you have a place to stay and ideas about where to park. This is a popular time of year and locations often fill up well ahead of time. You don't want to drive the RV itself in Key West. Park it at the campground, then take in one of multiple different transportation options into Key West proper.

Key West and the Lower Keys are great, but are you going because you specifically want the feel of Key West? It has its own vibe, crowded, a party location. If that's what you want, there is no substitute. But if you just have it in your head that you want something tropical, or want to see the reef, etc, then you may be happier not driving all the way down, but staying in Marathon, Islamorada, or Key Largo. 2 weeks is not long for such a long trip, and you're not giving yourself a lot of room for things to go wrong to delay your travel. Staying up in Key Largo instead, for example, allows you to do some Keysey things and also to spend more time in Miami, if you would enjoy that. Key Largo has multiple RV parks and campgrounds, including the campground at Pennekamp State Park if it's not all booked up. I don't know, but I assume they take RVs? You can take a boat to snorkel the reef directly from there, hike, kayak, whatever water sport or natural thing you could possibly want. It would save you a lot of time possibly getting stuck in Keys gridlock traffic all the way down to Key West and back.

But, if you're looking for lively partying or very old buildings, you'll have to go all the way to Key West. Many people want specifically to see the light turquoise water, and you'll have to drive to at least Islamorada to see it, because most of Key Largo and Tavernier are surrounded by protected seagrass beds, which are essential to ocean health and fisheries, but do make the shallow water appear more green or brown in many places.

You picked a good time given that gas prices are so low! Hopefully you'll be able to find SOMEWHERE that still has openings for when you plan to be here.

Please drive safely, and remember that the majority of US-1 is 45mph. Expect delays and gridlock (that may lead to an average speed much lower than 45mph), and plan ahead accordingly for them. When you're here, you're on island time - slow down and enjoy it. Read the thread "Please Drive Carefully on the Overseas Hwy" in the Florida forum, which discusses some of the things to watch out for on US-1 in the Keys. If you go down to the Lower Keys, drive especially slowly in areas marked for the endangered Key Deer, which would be hard to stop for in an RV - especially a speeding RV.

Have fun!

Old 02-15-2016, 10:07 AM

30 posts, read 95,394 times
Key West and the Keys in general are packed from now until probably April or May. You will definitely want to have reservations for something like an RV. I've had friends that couldn't find tent camping sites before.

The advice given above is true regarding the feel of Key West being different though the party reputation is maybe a bit blown out of proportion as there is a lot more to this Island than just getting drunk. I always say if you are looking for the Key West experience then come here, if you are looking for the Keys experience though I'd stick to the middle and "upper lower" keys from around Sugarloaf up to Marathon and maybe Islamorada. Key Largo, while beautiful in it's own way definitely has more of a mainland feel to those of us further down.

The advice to drive safely also can't be emphasized enough. Hardly a week goes by without some catastrophic head on collision due to careless driving. Imagine a busy two lane interstate without any center median or divider add in some beautiful distracting scenery then take away all of the other roads anywhere within 100 miles and that's essentially what you have down here. As the saying goes "what's the hurry, you're already here!"

Enjoy your trip, the weather is beautiful this time of year!

Old 02-15-2016, 03:50 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,064,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Watts View Post
do you have access to the military installation? they have good RV camping down at KW.

Old 02-15-2016, 03:51 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,064,104 times
U.S. Military Campgrounds and RV Parks - Key West Military RV Snow Birding for Newbies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or