Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 01:56 PM

499 posts, read 585,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Word of advice, before jumping in the pool make sure theres nothing in it like Snakes,spiders,scorpions or even the occasional gator.etc.

https://www.google.ca/webhp?hl=en#hl...n+pool+florida

https://www.google.ca/webhp?hl=en#hl...n+pool+florida
Gaaaaahhhhhhh! How DOES a gator get through an enclosure?? Wow - I didn't want to click on those links but I felt compelled to - now I can't un-see those images So...how does someone comfortably swim at night? Lots of lights? Seems like kind-of a mood killer, but I guess bumping into a snake or gator in the dark would REALLY kill the mood
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 02:09 PM

17,122 posts, read 15,341,895 times
We have a pretty large yard, and I've never felt the need to install a pool... The only way I'd do it would be if I could afford to get one large enough to swim laps, as that's the only type of swimming I really enjoy... Maybe some water volley-ball too or something, which also requires quite a bit of space and decent depth. I see lots of homes with those nice (but small) pools in their screened porches, and can't help but wonder what there is to do in there other than cool off and have a beer... A large pool would be nice, but it's currently out of my budget. I just go to the beach or use the Olympic-sized pools at my sports complex.

Old 02-16-2016, 02:11 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,244,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCTtoFL View Post
Gaaaaahhhhhhh! How DOES a gator get through an enclosure?? Wow - I didn't want to click on those links but I felt compelled to - now I can't un-see those images So...how does someone comfortably swim at night? Lots of lights? Seems like kind-of a mood killer, but I guess bumping into a snake or gator in the dark would REALLY kill the mood
Fiberglass screen really isn't that strong. I had a neighbor who was constantly having problems with raccoons tearing thru his screening to get to the water. Armidillo's can easily go thru pool screening. He eventually had to put fiberglass panels on the bottom 4 feet to solve the problem. Just take a good look around before you jump in.

Old 02-16-2016, 02:22 PM

121 posts, read 176,766 times
I have a 3 and a 6 year old. We love our pool in the summer! We live in Tampa, so our winters are colder, but we can swim from May-September. Our pool has a screen enclosure which actually reduces the water temperature. Our next door neighbor's pool does not. His feels like bath water in the mid-summer, which is not refreshing, while ours feels great. However his pool is usable in April & October, and ours is too cold in those months.

We own our home so we put up a pool fence around our pool for peace of mind. Personally, I would be nervous living in a house without a pool fence and a little child that can't swim, but many people do it. There are all sorts of safety latches you can put on the doors if the house doesn't come with a pool fence.

The screen enclosure helps a LOT with keeping bugs and leaves out. Expect more work (and chemicals) if it isn't screened.

Old 02-16-2016, 02:37 PM

17,122 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
Fiberglass screen really isn't that strong. I had a neighbor who was constantly having problems with raccoons tearing thru his screening to get to the water. Armidillo's can easily go thru pool screening. He eventually had to put fiberglass panels on the bottom 4 feet to solve the problem. Just take a good look around before you jump in.
In their defense, raccoon are known to be able to get into pretty much anything. They are EXTREMELY intelligent, and if they want to get into your house, they'll wait to see how you open the door, and then proceed to try to open it in your absence. Same if they want to get to the water... Put up barriers all you want, they'll find new ways to get in.

Old 02-16-2016, 03:45 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,631,226 times
The effectiveness of screen enclosures with keeping bugs and leaves out largely depends on the design of the pool (how effective it skims, do you have a weir door?, etc.) and individual backyards. I don't have an enclosure on mine now and didn't at my old house and the pool looked near perfect all the time. There is no one size fits all answer to this question. It seems more and more people are ditching the screen enclosures, and if trends mean anything.......

Old 02-16-2016, 06:28 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,140,103 times
We live a few hundred feet from the beach and some of our neighbors have pools. Whatever floats your boat.

Old 02-16-2016, 08:06 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,911,705 times
Only worth it if u plan on staying in the house a long time. Otherwise no.

Old 02-17-2016, 01:34 PM

103 posts, read 230,412 times
I vote you go for the pool! We have one, with a cage, and love it. I live farther north, central on the west coast side. On the hottest of days it totally cools you off to be in the pool. We have a pool heater but it runs on propane so it gets expensive to run it. So we just don't swim during the winter months. It's so relaxing to float, read a magazine, listen to music & have a drink....all at the same time. And I did buy some floating weights for water work outs as well.

Enjoy & good luck!

Old 02-17-2016, 02:02 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,631,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
Only worth it if u plan on staying in the house a long time. Otherwise no.
What does staying in the house a long time have to do with them renting a house with or without a pool?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida