U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 09:22 PM

499 posts, read 412,696 times

Advertisements

We have the opportunity to rent a home with a pool. My husband and I are weighing the pros and cons. We have a 3 year old and she would definitely take lessons. Will it keep us cool in the summer? I've heard some people say that with the summer heat & humidity in south Florida, its not very "refreshing" to swim in warm pool water. Is it good for exercise? Can I really use it year round? Is it difficult +/or expensive to maintain? Is it best to have a screen enclosure? Will the bugs be unbearable otherwise? Any feedback would be appreciated! (Except for blatantly rude, condescending & sarcastic comments - you know who you are and you can kindly keep those to yourself )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 09:28 PM

25 posts, read 33,632 times
Spending time in South Florida off the water (whether ocean, pool, or boat) is no way to live here. If you won't have a boat and access to the ocean, get a pool.

You will want a heated pool for the winter-time. The winter will have some days (especially this winter) where it's too cold to use the pool.

I can't speak to bugs where you will be, but here in Miami Beach you don't need a screen. There are few to no biting bugs.

Maintenance will vary by pool and just what you do to it, expect anywhere from 100-500 a month. It can be even free if you don't treat, clean or heat it

Old 02-16-2016, 05:57 AM

21,107 posts, read 30,175,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCTtoFL View Post
We have the opportunity to rent a home with a pool. My husband and I are weighing the pros and cons. We have a 3 year old and she would definitely take lessons. Will it keep us cool in the summer? I've heard some people say that with the summer heat & humidity in south Florida, its not very "refreshing" to swim in warm pool water. Is it good for exercise? Can I really use it year round? Is it difficult +/or expensive to maintain? Is it best to have a screen enclosure? Will the bugs be unbearable otherwise? Any feedback would be appreciated! (Except for blatantly rude, condescending & sarcastic comments - you know who you are and you can kindly keep those to yourself )
It's great to have a pool and if the option exists I would go for it if it's something you can comfortably budget. Many pools now have the robot vacuums in place which make keeping it clean less of a hassle, and keeping the proper levels of chlorination, etc. aren't a whole lot of work. Swimming is the best exercise for your body as it's zero resistance and doesn't have the risk for injury/wear and tear like running or biking. Screen enclosures are a must in my opinion, though some will wail about losing a view. What good is a view if you can't sit outside without being eaten alive by mosquitoes, not to mention all the debris that winds up in your pool without it?

Old 02-16-2016, 07:37 AM

5,971 posts, read 3,358,612 times
Yes, get a pool. Unless you're right near the beach you will want to get a pool cage, both for bugs and also to help keep it clean.

It doesn't get like "bath water" in the summer, at least in my experience, unless you take baths at 85-88 degrees. It definitely is cooling compared to the heat/humidity outside the pool.

A pool is great for exercise, assuming it's big enough to do laps. If not, then unless you have some sort of swimming harness you're really not exercising. Kids though will get plenty of energy out just splashing around.

If you are building a pool from scratch, I recommend looking into a salt chlorination system. You get water that's not noticeably salty and you don't have the chlorine smell on your skin and hair afterward. A heat pump pool heater is a good idea for the winter (I keep the pool at 83 when I know my kids are going to want to use it).

As kyle19125 mentions, there are all sorts of pool automation options out there. I have a pool robot (Dolphin Nautilus) that I throw in the pool a couple of times a week when the pool is in heavy use and it does a great job.

Also, you will find that pool service companies here are cheap compared to the NE. I pay something like $80 a month for weekly chemical and tile scrubbing, 2-week more thorough cleaning and monthly filter backwashing. Aside from some skimming I've had to do ZERO maintenance. I've never had to add salt or adjust the chemistry.

Old 02-16-2016, 07:45 AM

2,510 posts, read 1,796,113 times
When we first moved to Pensacola we leased a home with a pool. My wife used it every day in the Summer and I used it most summer evenings after work and on week-ends. We bought a house without a pool (my idea because I KNEW who would be doing the maintenance) and now we wish we had one. I also agree with above posters that a screened enclosure is a good idea both for bugs and also to keep debris out of the area.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:31 AM

34,238 posts, read 41,236,685 times
Word of advice, before jumping in the pool make sure theres nothing in it like Snakes,spiders,scorpions or even the occasional gator.etc.

https://www.google.ca/webhp?hl=en#hl...n+pool+florida

Old 02-16-2016, 09:49 AM

2,113 posts, read 1,360,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
If you are building a pool from scratch, I recommend looking into a salt chlorination system.
A salt system can be added to any existing pool very easily.

Old 02-16-2016, 12:20 PM

499 posts, read 412,696 times
Thank you for all of the helpful replies! As much as we love it here, the heat & humidity of last summer was rough. We spent a lot more time indoors then we wanted to. In the place we're looking at, the pool does have a screen enclosure and a spa area. We're going to look into hiring a pool company to do maintenance. I am so excited - I feel like a kid at Christmas!

Old 02-16-2016, 01:11 PM

5,971 posts, read 3,358,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Word of advice, before jumping in the pool make sure theres nothing in it like Snakes,spiders,scorpions or even the occasional gator.etc.

I wonder how a gator could easily get in a pool with an intact cage?

Smaller things, for sure. I get a ton of those millipedes. Even a couple of baby snakes. Small frogs. Other bugs. Definitely check the skimmer before swimming

Old 02-16-2016, 01:26 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,283,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCTtoFL View Post
Thank you for all of the helpful replies! As much as we love it here, the heat & humidity of last summer was rough. We spent a lot more time indoors then we wanted to. In the place we're looking at, the pool does have a screen enclosure and a spa area. We're going to look into hiring a pool company to do maintenance. I am so excited - I feel like a kid at Christmas!
Enjoy CTtoFL!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or