Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2016, 10:42 AM

2 posts, read 3,012 times

Advertisements

Hi there. We are a family with kids currently living in north shore of Long Island New York. My husband and I commute to work in NYC. We are thinking of relocating to either Tampa or Miami FL for a little less stressful life and better weather for the family. The plan is for me to stay at home (yay!). Our kids are boys 10 and 12 years old, so we are looking for an area with great public schools. Our budget for housing is around $1M. Of course, the less the better. Our priorities are great public schools (middle school and high school), safe neighborhoods, suburb living with green surroundings and reasonable (less than 1 hr) commute to work for my husband. I am having a hard time finding good public schools in both Tampa and Miami. I looked at data from greatschools.org and other school rankings site, but the ones ranked well don't seem to have good reviews from parents/students on students experience. We are currently in a very good school district both in terms of academic and students experience (bully-free, teachers/parents involvement, etc), so we would not want to change that experience for our children. We currently live in a very nice neigborhood where it's very safe to walk/bike around and neighbors are pleasant with each other, so maintaining the same neighborhood feel is also important for us. Any thoughts/information/insights would be very much appreciated.

Last edited by APlocate; 02-16-2016 at 11:05 AM.. Reason: increase accuracy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 03:17 AM

9,363 posts, read 14,307,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by APlocate View Post
Hi there. We are a family with kids currently living in north shore of Long Island New York. My husband and I commute to work in NYC. We are thinking of relocating to either Tampa or Miami FL for a little less stressful life and better weather for the family. The plan is for me to stay at home (yay!). Our kids are boys 10 and 12 years old, so we are looking for an area with great public schools. Our budget for housing is around $1M. Of course, the less the better. Our priorities are great public schools (middle school and high school), safe neighborhoods, suburb living with green surroundings and reasonable (less than 1 hr) commute to work for my husband. I am having a hard time finding good public schools in both Tampa and Miami. I looked at data from greatschools.org and other school rankings site, but the ones ranked well don't seem to have good reviews from parents/students on students experience. We are currently in a very good school district both in terms of academic and students experience (bully-free, teachers/parents involvement, etc), so we would not want to change that experience for our children. We currently live in a very nice neigborhood where it's very safe to walk/bike around and neighbors are pleasant with each other, so maintaining the same neighborhood feel is also important for us. Any thoughts/information/insights would be very much appreciated.

There is no way you can know what your experience will be like in a school until, well, you have actual experience in a school. So take the reviews with a grain of salt. And no guarantee that the great.schools rankings criteria are reliable either.

Having said that, to my knowledge there is no single school district in Miami-Dade County that has both middle and high district public schools that are 10-rated. There are some 10-rated magnet public schools in sort of suburban areas such as you describe.

Know the difference between district and magnet entry criteria and rules (a single school could operate under several different sets of rules), and check out Palmetto Bay (33157), Killian (33156, 33176), and Coral Gables (33146, 33134), all a more or less one hour commute to Miami's main business area Brickell/downtown.

In Tampa, check out the South Tampa district, especially the 33629 zip code, all 10-rated district public schools, SFH prices around $800,000 and close to the main business area. But do research on flooding issues.

Either way, if you decide to come, rent first, for at least a year or two, and do a lot of research also on homeowner's insurance issues in the State of Florida.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck!

Old 02-17-2016, 06:01 AM

27,207 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
You wouldn't most likely need the million dollar mark for comparable housing here so in that instance would recommend sinking some of your savings into private school educations to insure you're getting what you want on that end. You can find some very desirable homes in the 600K-700K bracket which should insure that.

Old 02-17-2016, 06:09 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,633,582 times
Skip Miami and look at west Davie and Weston. You can get a stunning and large house for less than $1 million, in a very safe gated neighborhood, with great public schools, and access to everything South Florida has to offer. It's really an amazing suburb, with lots and lots of green. West Davie has tons of horses and farms but isn't rural at all, so it's a great mix and vibe. Weston is more planned. The public schools in Weston, Davie, and Cooper City are pretty much the best in the area.

Since the area has direct access to I75, Sawgrass Expressway, and 595, it's likely your husbands commute will be reasonable. Though I don't think you said anything about where he would be working.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:27 AM

2 posts, read 3,012 times
Thank you all so much for such great insights and useful information. We are not quite sure where his office would be, but if he goes for the job in Miami it is most likely in Doral.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:40 AM

9,363 posts, read 14,307,279 times
Quote:
if he goes for the job in Miami it is most likely in Doral.
In that case, then, your best bets are the Killian section of Miami and, apparently, southwestern Broward (Weston, Davie, Cooper City). I have relatives who live in Cooper City and nearby Pembroke Pines, they have been satisfied with the public schools.

All the best!

Old 02-17-2016, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Thank you all so much for such great insights and useful information. We are not quite sure where his office would be, but if he goes for the job in Miami it is most likely in Doral.
YES. Even more reason to consider Weston/Cooper City/Davie. It's a quick drive to Doral. We live in west Davie across the little bridge from Weston. My wife drives to Doral for work and it's usually about 20 - 25 minutes commute. I don't think there is a better area for families then here. Outstanding schools. Lots of activities, sports, parks, you name it. And for the price range you are shopping, THIS is the area. For what you are asking for, this is a no brainer and exactly what you are looking for.

Check out just about anywhere in Weston on realtor.com - but also Google "Riverstone Davie" and "Imagination Farms Davie", which have lots of excellent modern, large size houses in a very well equipped community in the $800 - $900k range (and less).

A huge portion of the people living out here commute to Miami down 75. And also note that 75 is under a major renovation, which is a good thing. Express lanes, etc. So the commute will only get easier.

Last edited by BNBR; 02-17-2016 at 09:37 AM..

Old 02-17-2016, 01:12 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,572,193 times
Quote:
Miami has the reputation of being very fast-paced. If you are set on South Florida consider Palm Beach County, a little less crowded than Miami-Dade County.

Also remember school districts are county wide in Florida, fast growing counties can have changes in school assignment boundaries.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
Miami has the reputation of being very fast-paced. If you are set on South Florida consider Palm Beach County, a little less crowded than Miami-Dade County.

Also remember school districts are county wide in Florida, fast growing counties can have changes in school assignment boundaries.

You are recommending her husband drive from Palm Beach to Doral?

Old 02-18-2016, 07:06 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,572,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
You are recommending her husband drive from Palm Beach to Doral?
No not recommending that drive. The original post did not mention work in Doral. It asked for areas near Miami or Tampa wanting a slower pace of life than Long Island
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida