U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 09:56 AM

4,980 posts, read 7,282,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
No, apparently you don't know, despite your "I work there, so I know" claims. The requirements list on EVERY state school website clearly indicate that you CAN use utility bills.
You'd turn away a student who brings a utility billing history despite the fact that your own school website says it's an acceptable form of proof of residency? Boy you must be GREAT at your job.
Utility bills will never succeed in getting anyone FL residency.
To the OP, take my advice....or better yet, contact the admissions office at the school in which your daughter will be attending and ask them directly about utility bills. . .

and I am great at my job! Thx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 09:59 AM

9,559 posts, read 6,547,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Utility bills will never succeed in getting anyone FL residency.
To the OP, take my advice....or better yet, contact the admissions office at the school in which your daughter will be attending and ask them directly about utility bills. . .
Never? It worked at three different schools in my case.

Did you see the link to the FGCU list I posted? You;re going to tell me that admissions is going to go completely against what their own website says?

OP, do let us know what FGCU's admissions department tells you. You need 2 things from the list provided on their website. I've always used a valid DL and utility billing history. Come to think of it, I also used it at a fourth school, which I never attended, but at one point planned to: https://www.seminolestate.edu/registrar/residencyinfo

May be used in conjuction with one document form the First Tier
A declaration of domicile in Florida
A Florida professional or occupational license
Florida incorporation
A document evidencing family ties in Florida
Proof of membership in a Florida-based charitable or professional organization
Any other doucmentation that supports the student's request for resident status, including, but not limited to: utility bills and proof of 12 consecutive months of payments; a lease agreement and proof of 12 consecutive months of payments; or an official state, federal or court document evidencing legal ties to Florida

Old 03-02-2016, 10:11 AM

1,444 posts, read 1,924,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
Yes, after 12 months you will be a FL resident. Since she is your dependent, as soon as you will become FL resident, your daughter will too.
There are some exceptions (when you don't need 12 months) - like employment at certain type of jobs for certain employers or being a recipient of certain grants/ scholarships or have some FL prepaid college accounts. My husband who was international students still paid in-state/ FL resident tuition (or portion of it) from day 1 since he was a recipient of certain scholarship. Check with the school for their exceptions list.
Many years ago when I just moved here, I took a year off while waiting for my residency. It was way too expensive for me to pay as out-of-state....
It would be best to start college with in state tuition rather than try and change after a year. But since you are living here it should be easier. I changed after starting college and it was more difficult, but this was in 1991... a long time ago.

I recall there was one employee who was more of a stickler than the others. I luckily went in when she was on vacation.

Old 03-02-2016, 10:38 AM

9,697 posts, read 6,985,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
OK, u know better than me..... someone who works at one of the FL state universities.

OP, u heard the guy. Bring those FPL bills with u.
Historically utility bills were adequate proof of residency for school registration, voter ID, and so on. Perhaps it's different for in state tuition for a public university in Florida? Or has something changed? I guess a recent utility bill for a local address in an applicant's name ( or a parent in the case of a dependent) wouldn't indicate the length of time the applicant has lived at that address, maybe that's a reason utility bills might not be accepted as proof of residency. It's been a while since I had any reason to check FL public university applications, but IIRC acceptable documents for showing residency, and length of time for the residency were listed on the applications.

Old 03-02-2016, 10:45 AM

9,559 posts, read 6,547,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Historically utility bills were adequate proof of residency for school registration, voter ID, and so on. Perhaps it's different for in state tuition for a public university in Florida? Or has something changed? I guess a recent utility bill for a local address in an applicant's name ( or a parent in the case of a dependent) wouldn't indicate the length of time the applicant has lived at that address, maybe that's a reason utility bills might not be accepted as proof of residency. It's been a while since I had any reason to check FL public university applications, but IIRC acceptable documents for showing residency, and length of time for the residency were listed on the applications.
They still are. I posted links to 2 schools already, including FGCU.
You have to show proof of at least 12 months of consecutive billing and payments, which can typically be obtained on the utility websites.

Here is one for my school, USF: http://www.registrar.usf.edu/Residen...nt_Student.php

FGCU: http://www.fgcu.edu/Admissions/Prosp...residency.html

Seminole State: https://www.seminolestate.edu/registrar/residencyinfo

Valencia: http://catalog.valenciacollege.edu/a...ridaresidency/

All state that they can be used.

Last edited by Arcenal352; 03-02-2016 at 10:54 AM..

Old 03-02-2016, 10:51 AM

9,697 posts, read 6,985,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
They still are. I posted links to 2 schools already, including FGCU.
You have to show proof of at least 12 months of consecutive billing and payments, which can typically be obtained on the utility websites.

OK, now I remember accessing those payment histories on the FPL website.

Old 03-02-2016, 11:16 AM

3,313 posts, read 4,297,549 times
OptimusPrime69,
You might be right about utilities and residency proof for your specific state college, but rules can vary from one school to another, that's why it's always better to check with specific school you are planning to attend.
If let's say USF states they will accept utility bills for last 12 months under student name as a proof of residence, they decently will, so no need to you to argue with people who had this experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or