Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 06:12 AM

370 posts, read 325,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post

It's a different world with luggage shopping here in Orlando.
Speaking of....what's with the people I see going up & down OBT pulling their luggage behind them? Who are these people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 06:53 AM

4,479 posts, read 3,847,143 times
[quote=boy3365;52325281]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
It doesn't really matter what's causing retail contraction. The fact is that retail is contracting. And the more it contracts, the more people will turn to e-commerce.

Or Walmart and Target.....

Personally, when I bought toy gifts for child relatives when they were younger , I didn't even think about Toys R Us. It was Target or Walmart.

Party City is looking at opening pop up toy stores alongside their pop up Halloween stores.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ity/730534002/

A handful of Central Florida Toys R Us locations have been leased to other stores already.
Ashley Furniture wins bid for closing Toys R Us space in Orlando - Orlando Sentinel

The former CEO of Toys R Us is already working on a reboot. Good luck with that though. I remember hearing that Circuit City was going to make a comeback, which hasn't happened yet.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ailer-s-reboot

Brick and mortar is not dead.

It's a different world with luggage shopping here in Orlando.

Nobody is saying brick and mortar is dead, but you just keep repeating that as much as you like. What I am saying is that if more brick and mortar stores close, online shopping will increase.

A perfect example is the luggage. I'm glad that you live in a city with a plethora of luggage stores. I do not. And neither do MOST Americans. For the majority of America, who live in small cities and rural areas, e-commerce is a lifeline.

Old 06-28-2018, 08:11 AM

17,166 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 843904 View Post
Speaking of....what's with the people I see going up & down OBT pulling their luggage behind them? Who are these people?
LOL! Homeless bums and hookers.

As a side note, with brick and mortar losing some ground to online shopping, what's the deal with all of these mattress stores? They're always completely empty with barren parking lots. But every corner has them.

Old 06-28-2018, 08:40 AM

370 posts, read 325,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
LOL! Homeless bums and hookers.
With luggage? Not shopping carts?

How odd.

Old 06-28-2018, 08:59 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,748,013 times
[quote=sinatras;52332988]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post

Nobody is saying brick and mortar is dead, but you just keep repeating that as much as you like. What I am saying is that if more brick and mortar stores close, online shopping will increase.

A perfect example is the luggage. I'm glad that you live in a city with a plethora of luggage stores. I do not. And neither do MOST Americans. For the majority of America, who live in small cities and rural areas, e-commerce is a lifeline.
Shoppers aren't justmoving online as an alternative, they're moving to other physical stores too.

I guess Ross, TJ Maxx, Burlington and Marshall's better up their online game.....oh wait...they're signing leases all over the place. (Only TJ Maxx and Burlington have online stores.) Many of your former JCP and Macy's shoppers are going there and not just switching to online shopping, because they don't have as much money as they used to have to purchase clothes.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/08/macy...-shopping.html

Yes. Malls are closing, but there are certain malls that are thriving. Malls where people who have money to spend are spending it.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/26/why-...thers-die.html

Orlando lost its lone Nordstrom and Saks 5 Avenue....but gained two Nordstrom Rack and Saks Off 5th each. Macy's is taking their Backstage (clearance) departments and turning them into full-fledge stores. Whole Foods is opening 365 by Whole Foods, which is their response to the popularity of Aldi, which has really beefed up its natural/organic and special diet food offerings and destroying WFM on price.

Again, if everything is moving online, then why are initially online-only retailers either partnering with legacy bricks and mortar stores or opening up their own physical shops? A repeated statement of mine on here that never gets a response...

Old 06-28-2018, 09:08 AM

[quote=boy3365;52334144]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post

Shoppers aren't justmoving online as an alternative, they're moving to other physical stores too.

I guess Ross, TJ Maxx, Burlington and Marshall's better up their online game.....oh wait...they're signing leases all over the place. (Only TJ Maxx and Burlington have online stores.) Many of your former JCP and Macy's shoppers are going there and not just switching to online shopping, because they don't have as much money as they used to have to purchase clothes.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/08/macy...-shopping.html

Yes. Malls are closing, but there are certain malls that are thriving. Malls where people who have money to spend are spending it.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/26/why-...thers-die.html

Orlando lost its lone Nordstrom and Saks 5 Avenue....but gained two Nordstrom Rack and Saks Off 5th each. Macy's is taking their Backstage (clearance) departments and turning them into full-fledge stores. Whole Foods is opening 365 by Whole Foods, which is their response to the popularity of Aldi, which has really beefed up its natural/organic and special diet food offerings and destroying WFM on price.

Again, if everything is moving online, then why are initially online-only retailers either partnering with legacy bricks and mortar stores or opening up their own physical shops? A repeated statement of mine on here that never gets a response...

Yes that is true. Many new physical retail concepts popping up. Weird partnerships. Amazon is opening checkout-less stores. Off-price is doing great (I would never buy luggage at TJ Maxx, sorry)!

But more than 90 million square feet of retail space has already been vacated this year.
That's easily on track to surpass a record 105 million square feet of space shuttered last year.

And both of those numbers eclipse any new retail space that is opening.

Old 06-28-2018, 11:30 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,239,632 times
Publix Super Markets has entered into an agreement to acquire Safeway's three Florida stores. The Safeway stores are projected to close in September, then reopen as Publix in the fourth quarter of 2018.

Further reading

Old 06-28-2018, 11:54 AM

8,070 posts, read 4,744,624 times
Quote:
Publix Super Markets has entered into an agreement to acquire Safeway's three Florida stores.
Wow, we don't usually get a thread with such a "neat and tidy" beginning, middle, and end.

Old 06-28-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Publix Super Markets has entered into an agreement to acquire Safeway's three Florida stores. The Safeway stores are projected to close in September, then reopen as Publix in the fourth quarter of 2018.

Further reading
That is an awesome move by Publix!!!!!!!!

Guess I won't be able to visit that Safeway in Largo.

Old 06-28-2018, 12:58 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,748,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post

Further reading
You beat me. I actually swore off City-Data for the rest of the day, then I saw this and had to come back. .

https://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay...n-florida.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida