U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 08:54 AM

2,130 posts, read 1,371,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
I agree, Trader Joe's is awesome. Good food for very reasonable prices. We don't go out to restaurants as often as before because the food from Trader Joe's tastes better for a fraction of the cost. The frozen foods are great because they are very tasty and most are very healthy as well.

I go to Sav-A-Lot for fresh meats. Their sale prices can't be beat and their meat is always super fresh and doesn't have added solutions.
Personally, I don't "get" Trader Joe's. Went to one a week ago, walked around for 3 minutes, and left. It doesn't offer any of the great specialty items that you would get at Whole Foods or Fresh Market, and doesn't have the selection of a Publix. I'd say it falls in the middle somewhere, but I don't know if that is even true. What's the point of Trader Joes? I already go to Publix with maybe a stop at a specialty store like Mimi's, Fresh Market, or Whole Foods. I'm curious what the draw is to Joe's, what am I missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 09:24 AM

17,889 posts, read 17,761,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
There's another company called Lucky's Market that's expanding into Florida also and is in the process of a store opening in Orlando on East Colonial near Waterford Lakes. Lucky's Market | Organic for the 99%
Now this is something that excites me!

Old 03-09-2016, 09:25 AM

17,889 posts, read 17,761,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Personally, I don't "get" Trader Joe's. Went to one a week ago, walked around for 3 minutes, and left. It doesn't offer any of the great specialty items that you would get at Whole Foods or Fresh Market, and doesn't have the selection of a Publix. I'd say it falls in the middle somewhere, but I don't know if that is even true. What's the point of Trader Joes? I already go to Publix with maybe a stop at a specialty store like Mimi's, Fresh Market, or Whole Foods. I'm curious what the draw is to Joe's, what am I missing?
Look at the ingredients in Trader Joes when it comes to their snacks and foods and compare them to Publix or any other mass grocery store. It's much more wholesome and pure, yet isn't outrageously priced. Pretty much all their products have ingredients you can understand instead of long complicated chemicals or high fructose in everything.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:35 AM

21,144 posts, read 30,256,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Little puzzled as to why you felt you couldn't find anything unless you tend toward brand name processed foods. People who tend to actually cook like Trader Joe's for the fact you can pick up quality ingredients (often organic) at lower prices because there's no middle man in terms of branding. The produce section, cheese/dairy section, dry goods aisles and meat section all have sufficient options if you're not married to a certain brand or type of processed food.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:42 AM

341 posts, read 525,977 times
I was in the Fort Lauderdale Albertson's recently, and the renovations are well under way (while the store is open). Should be interesting. The only time I lived in an area where there were Safeways was when I was in college in Hampton, VA in the 1975-76 school year (though I've been to them during visits to San Francisco).

Old 03-09-2016, 10:12 AM

7,142 posts, read 8,856,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Isn't Safeway where you bag your own groceries and you have to bring your own bags as a cost savings. The merchandise is kept in their original boxes just cut open so shoppers can take what they need. To me Safeway is a drab looking store but then you get what you pay for, you are not at Publix.
No, you are confusing it with something else. The only places people bring their own bags to Safeway is where local laws require it. I’m not really sure how they compare to your southern chains like Publix, but I have shopped at Safeway stores in about 10 different western states over 40 years and have never seen a store like what you described. Safeways are full-service, somewhat upscale stores. They are not a terrible place to shop.

The problems I have with Safeway. First the prices. I find that I can often buy the exact same products at other stores from less money then the Safeway Club Card price. Second, like many chain stores, their product quality is not as great as they would have you believe. I’m sorry almost every time I try to buy produce at Safeway. It’s just nasty. It’s sits in the store for weeks with water showering down on in to keep it looking presentable. Even the organic produce is very low quality.

Old 03-09-2016, 10:46 AM

893 posts, read 552,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Little puzzled as to why you felt you couldn't find anything unless you tend toward brand name processed foods. People who tend to actually cook like Trader Joe's for the fact you can pick up quality ingredients (often organic) at lower prices because there's no middle man in terms of branding. The produce section, cheese/dairy section, dry goods aisles and meat section all have sufficient options if you're not married to a certain brand or type of processed food.
Trader Joe's has a small selection, and is often inferior to Whole Foods. Anything I can get in Trader Joe's, I can get in Whole Foods. But I can get so much more in Whole Foods. Back in California Trader Joe's was always considered a grocery store for college students on a budget.

Old 03-09-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
Trader Joe's has a small selection, and is often inferior to Whole Foods. Anything I can get in Trader Joe's, I can get in Whole Foods. But I can get so much more in Whole Foods. Back in California Trader Joe's was always considered a grocery store for college students on a budget.
That's pretty much how I saw it. I personally like a large selection and tend to purchase higher end food products. For example, I don't buy the cheap normal pasta, I'll either buy fresh pasta at Mimi's or very high quality boxed. Same with sauces when I don't want to make my own. Plenty of other items like this. I don't like having a minimal selection so a small store like Trader Joe's doesn't work for me.

I'm also a vegetarian, and even Publix has WAY more than Trader Joe's as far as vegetarian products.

Old 03-09-2016, 12:13 PM

21,144 posts, read 30,256,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
I don't disagree with your assessment versus Whole Foods, but can see where someone who wants organic yet wants to save money would choose Trader Joe's. Florida doesn't have the options that California has with varying options for organics so it stands to reason Trader Joe's is as popular as it has been since opening here.

Old 03-09-2016, 12:25 PM

A few of you did convince me to swing by Trader Joe's again

Maybe later this week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida