Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 09:23 PM

26 posts, read 23,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
Most of Florida is very sprawly, Jacksonville Beaches( Jacksonville Beach, Neptune Beach and Atlantic Beach especially. Ponte Vedra Beach is more sprawly, no real downtown, business are all in shopping centers etc) have a small town feel. There is just not room to sprawl on barrier islands.

Many beach towns maintain the small town feel. What is nice about the Jax beaches you have access to larger city amenities and a decent airport

Jacksonville skews conservative but you can find diverse politics in surprising places. Most people wont really care about your politics if you are a good neighbor, friendly and not a jerk and don't try and convert them to you point of view because they are stupid etc.
The Jax area beaches are sprawly or have more of the small-town feel?

I would think that a metropolitan area like Jacksonville would be politically diverse, but I haven't spent enough time there to really know. As far as trying to convert anyone... that's exactly what I'm looking to avoid. I don't want to be judged for my beliefs and certainly wouldn't judge anyone for theirs. I'm not a Christian. Would that make me an immediate outcast?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2016, 11:12 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,969,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumble_bee View Post
Sadly, we can't afford Miami Beach. If we could afford to live there, Coconut Grove (the nicer area), the Gables, Brickell or even Pinecrest, we would be pretty happy here. But as it stands, the value isn't here for us. Miami's coat of living is so high and the return isn't on par with the cost, IMO. Maybe if we were wealthy (or without kids) it would be another story. But we're just a typical family with an old $265k house in the nicest area of Miami we could afford... which isn't awful, but just part of the sprawl (unincorporated Dade county) with no sense of community.
You are not gonna find what you are looking for. Florida is mostly sprawl. It gets worse when you leave Miami-Dade county.

Old 03-13-2016, 03:47 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,460,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
I had the same thought.

I am from Jacksonville and there are some more "redneck" areas but really most of the metro area is suburban, not much different than places like Altamonte Springs or Lake Mary

Someone who thinks that Southern accent=redneck would think most of Jax is redneck.
I think people that would label a large city like Jacksonville as "redneck" have very limited experience outside of big cities. I've been in many rural towns throughout the south, in Texas and Florida, and most of them I wouldn't call "rednecky". People think "country" is "rednecky.." umm no. Jacksonville is not rednecky, I haven't even been there and I know it isn't. Santa Ana, TX... is rednecky. Miami urbanites who never have lived or even visited in a small town would die there

Old 03-13-2016, 10:59 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,969,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I think people that would label a large city like Jacksonville as "redneck" have very limited experience outside of big cities. I've been in many rural towns throughout the south, in Texas and Florida, and most of them I wouldn't call "rednecky". People think "country" is "rednecky.." umm no. Jacksonville is not rednecky, I haven't even been there and I know it isn't. Santa Ana, TX... is rednecky. Miami urbanites who never have lived or even visited in a small town would die there
I wouldn't call it that but it is definitely "southern". It's not so much the buildings but the culture you will encounter. Much more southern than Lake Mary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida