U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-21-2016, 01:08 PM
 
Location: SWFL
22,763 posts, read 19,207,018 times
Reputation: 20882

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
I hate to burst your bubble but most of Florida has been mostly built by Yankees.The entire Southeast coast was developed by them & Miami is considered the "Sixth Borough".
You are correct that the Panhandle is Florida's last part that's still small and southern but that is the charm of Florida where we have large swaths of a rural environment and "Southern" culture is maintained even though Florida isn't really a culturally Southern state when within 500 years of it's existence we had 5 Nations having flown their flags over the state.

If you dislike big Urban Florida you can escape it relatively easy by driving about a hour away from most major metro areas and has concentrated development.
Florida is a very Urban state :


http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/x...psvnnqpduk.jpg

I love Florida even with all the craziness.

PS: Florida is a environmentally sensitive state despite concrete everywhere. No drilling off our shores for Oil.
Look at all those lights in SFla!! Yowzza!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
As long as you do your research on Florida and visit there as often as you can (especially summer)--you can then make an educated decision about the move.
You don't even need to visit more than once! A friend came, saw and moved. I at least came down here twice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-21-2016, 02:49 PM
 
Location: Milwaukee Area of WI
1,886 posts, read 1,284,764 times
Reputation: 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Look at all those lights in SFla!! Yowzza!



You don't even need to visit more than once! A friend came, saw and moved. I at least came down here twice.
True story
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2016, 06:30 AM
 
Location: Tampa, FL
27,798 posts, read 26,110,720 times
Reputation: 14611
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I spent 2 months in Orlando, Tampa and Sarasota. I thought it was a very, very clean and orderly state.

The interstates were in very good shape compared to most states and the roads in Orlando were some of the maintained I have seen.

I live in Phoenix now and prior to that was in Vegas. I was stunned how Orlando was so lush and smelled like a tropical rain forest with all the amazing trees, plants and flowers. The whole city is like a botanic garden with no admission fee.

Orlando was the cleanest city I have ever seen. The roads were silky smooth, I saw very little litter and seemed like they must do a thorough cleaning of the city often. The interstate was spotless going through Orlando and the lushless is beautiful, its like a constant mist of Fabreeze.

The area around Lake Eola was busy with many people enjoying the lake and neighborhood. The skyline is very nice for a city of 230,000 people with all the sleek mid-rises.

Tampa was a bit rough around the edges, it seemed like the infrastructure was not as good as Orlando but it was still far, far better then most American cities. The downtown has a very nice skyline for a city of 350,000 and even the rougher areas of North Tampa are nothing compared to most North American major cities.

I like the fact Tampa metropolitan area isnt a one size fits all metro area where everyone is married with kids. Its been rated a great for singles of all ages and I did see alot more non-married then most metropolitan areas.

Pinellas County is great with the proximity to the beaches, the cities are well maintained and the people are very friendly.

I also spent time down in Sarasota which instantly seems like one of the most well run cities in America. It is a city of only 50,000 people but yet the downtown is better then many cities of 500,000 people or more.
The downtown was very clean, unlike other cities with only restaurants and bars they had a wide variety of retail. Many cities 10 times larger then Sarasota don't even have a downtown grocery store but yet they have a massive Whole Foods in the middle of the downtown.

Overall, I had heard that Florida was trashy and dirty before I visited but I was shocked by how clean, orderly and well-run the state and it's cities are.

I also noticed that Floridians are the most attractive people I have seen. Floridians have such soft and smooth skin from the lack of pollution and the abundent humidity. The friendly, older ladies in Sarasota look healthier then women in most of America half their age.

What is amazing about Florida is it has no state income, very low sales taxes compared to other areas and very low property tax rates but yet has some of the most beautiful, well-maintained, cleanest cities I have ever seen.
Tell us how it is this week...supposed to get hotter than hell Fri, Sat, Sun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2016, 07:13 AM
 
4,978 posts, read 7,271,609 times
Reputation: 7907
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Tell us how it is this week...supposed to get hotter than hell Fri, Sat, Sun.
Well, we are headed into May.
Pretty typical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2016, 07:36 AM
 
Location: Davie, FL
2,122 posts, read 1,363,527 times
Reputation: 1492
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Tell us how it is this week...supposed to get hotter than hell Fri, Sat, Sun.
Sounds like waverunner and pool weather to me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2016, 07:39 AM
 
1,750 posts, read 1,621,584 times
Reputation: 1067
Why do people that hate the heat/humidity move to FL?

We need some higher temps, gulf water is still 75F / Pinellas (and that's probably on the surface).

http://www.surf-forecast.com/breaks/...latest/six_day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2016, 08:00 AM
 
96 posts, read 80,274 times
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I spent 2 months in Orlando, Tampa and Sarasota. I thought it was a very, very clean and orderly state.

The interstates were in very good shape compared to most states and the roads in Orlando were some of the maintained I have seen.

I live in Phoenix now and prior to that was in Vegas. I was stunned how Orlando was so lush and smelled like a tropical rain forest with all the amazing trees, plants and flowers. The whole city is like a botanic garden with no admission fee.

Orlando was the cleanest city I have ever seen. The roads were silky smooth, I saw very little litter and seemed like they must do a thorough cleaning of the city often. The interstate was spotless going through Orlando and the lushless is beautiful, its like a constant mist of Fabreeze.

The area around Lake Eola was busy with many people enjoying the lake and neighborhood. The skyline is very nice for a city of 230,000 people with all the sleek mid-rises.

Tampa was a bit rough around the edges, it seemed like the infrastructure was not as good as Orlando but it was still far, far better then most American cities. The downtown has a very nice skyline for a city of 350,000 and even the rougher areas of North Tampa are nothing compared to most North American major cities.

I like the fact Tampa metropolitan area isnt a one size fits all metro area where everyone is married with kids. Its been rated a great for singles of all ages and I did see alot more non-married then most metropolitan areas.

Pinellas County is great with the proximity to the beaches, the cities are well maintained and the people are very friendly.

I also spent time down in Sarasota which instantly seems like one of the most well run cities in America. It is a city of only 50,000 people but yet the downtown is better then many cities of 500,000 people or more.
The downtown was very clean, unlike other cities with only restaurants and bars they had a wide variety of retail. Many cities 10 times larger then Sarasota don't even have a downtown grocery store but yet they have a massive Whole Foods in the middle of the downtown.

Overall, I had heard that Florida was trashy and dirty before I visited but I was shocked by how clean, orderly and well-run the state and it's cities are.

I also noticed that Floridians are the most attractive people I have seen. Floridians have such soft and smooth skin from the lack of pollution and the abundent humidity. The friendly, older ladies in Sarasota look healthier then women in most of America half their age.

What is amazing about Florida is it has no state income, very low sales taxes compared to other areas and very low property tax rates but yet has some of the most beautiful, well-maintained, cleanest cities I have ever seen.

I have to say it is nice to read your post. I've never read one positive post on this Forum about Florida. I've been thinking about moving down there on the East side but all I hear is how trashy and crime ridden Florida is. With horrible drivers to the point where it makes me afraid to get into my car. I know there are bad areas in every town but I researched every area on this forum and nothing but how it's a horrible, hot and crime ridden state it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2016, 08:11 AM
 
Location: Gorgeous South Florida
499 posts, read 412,968 times
Reputation: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Tell us how it is this week...supposed to get hotter than hell Fri, Sat, Sun.
Thank G-d! I never thought I'd say this but anything below 80 feels cold. Can't wait for it to hit 90! I'm gonna just live in the pool
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2016, 08:27 AM
 
Location: Milwaukee Area of WI
1,886 posts, read 1,284,764 times
Reputation: 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCTtoFL View Post
Thank G-d! I never thought I'd say this but anything below 80 feels cold. Can't wait for it to hit 90! I'm gonna just live in the pool
Super Jealous........Just sayin' LOLOLOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2016, 10:30 AM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 13,207,142 times
Reputation: 6009
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmg4me View Post
I have to say it is nice to read your post. I've never read one positive post on this Forum about Florida. I've been thinking about moving down there on the East side but all I hear is how trashy and crime ridden Florida is. With horrible drivers to the point where it makes me afraid to get into my car. I know there are bad areas in every town but I researched every area on this forum and nothing but how it's a horrible, hot and crime ridden state it is.
CD is a lot like any internet site where opinions are posted. Like a consumer complaint site. Where do you find the reviews from people who like a product or service?

You really need to skip the opinions and check factual data from websites that offer crime maps and also look at the local newspapers on line, watch streaming local news. Check AAA for road related situations. Reading the local law enforcement sites will tell you a lot about crime. I can assure you that the 20 million people who do live here arent here because its among the worse places on earth. Also, keep in mind that metro areas, here or anywhere, are going to be a lot different than outlying areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:39 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top