Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 02:46 PM

892 posts, read 859,497 times

Advertisements

I WFH and my clients (3) are in San Francisco, Santa Monica, and Manhattan. I'm an iOS mobile developer. Absolutely no relation to tourists/snowbirds on my income, in fact Florida has no impact at all except not taxing me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2016, 06:15 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,141,678 times
I work from home too and everyone I work with is out of state. My work isn't affected by tourism, but the amenities in my area are and my taxes are kept low though revenue collected from visitors.

Old 03-12-2016, 06:20 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times
Snowbird season is over, now its SPRING BREAK season! Oh lord! I hope it won't be bad in April when I go visit. Especially since I'm takin' I-95 this time.

Old 03-12-2016, 07:11 PM

8,070 posts, read 4,744,624 times
Depends on which part of April. The end of Snowbird season seems to coincide with Easter where I live, though all bets might be off since Easter is so early this year. If there isn't some freak, Winter-like weather event in late March or early April, they will likely flock back north during the first two weeks of April. By the end of April, I-95 might actually be back to normal...if there is such a thing.

Old 03-12-2016, 07:49 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
But every industry and profession is effected to some degree by the tourists coming here.
There are many professions that don't deal with tourists, or even Floridians, at all. Such as people that work for global or national companies where the customers are other companies and often these companies don't have offices in Florida.

Old 03-12-2016, 08:35 PM

14,945 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
Depends on which part of April. The end of Snowbird season seems to coincide with Easter where I live, though all bets might be off since Easter is so early this year. If there isn't some freak, Winter-like weather event in late March or early April, they will likely flock back north during the first two weeks of April. By the end of April, I-95 might actually be back to normal...if there is such a thing.
We have snowbirds who don't go home till the beginning of June.

Be careful on I-95, it's nuts on that road, especially when you get into S. FL.

Old 03-12-2016, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
Yeah but that proves Rabflmom's point, your work load was effected by the snowbird bubble, and it effects the healthcare situation to fulltimers who now have to share the finite resources. Although you work from home, do local prices go up "in season"? So, is there a net effect on your income?
If you mean my work has been negatively affected by the presence of throngs of snowbirds, I suppose you would be right, by adding to the workload without any increase in pay ( I was salaried, not an hourly employee), and as you mention the increase in demand for healthcare by snowbirds without an increase in resources or personnel also negatively affects the fulltimers due to their difficulty in accessing healthcare when they need it. And while I can't say I have noticed increases in local food or other prices during the season ( these go up so regularly it's hard to tell what the increase is in response to), if they did I suppose that would be a negative effect too.

But my comments regarding my jobs not being affected by tourism/snowbirds was in response to post #12 that stated "be careful what you wish for, your job may depend on it", in response to yet another post where someone expressed a wish for snowbirds to go away, or something like that. The implication in post #12 was that jobs in FL are dependent on tourism, and jobs would go away if snowbirds did. My response was intended to show that not only are all jobs NOT dependent on tourism, but that some jobs are negatively affected by the sheer numbers of seasonal visitors to the area.

Old 03-13-2016, 05:32 AM

296 posts, read 319,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
As another perspective to look at this from, we live in coastal Connecticut, summer time is peak tourist season, same thing, small towns with a lot more traffic and restaurants are overcrowded, strains existing resources. So, we stay away from the crowds, we cook out on the deck more often, try to get early tee times, just try to find our leisure away from the shore for a few months until the tourists go home. Yeah, we don't get to enjoy the shoreline as much as we'd like, but we're a lot less frustrated too.
I agree...we live in Md, (for two more weeks, then to Punta Gorda)...however I lived on the Eastern Shore....and we didn't really call it 'in season' or 'snow birds', etc, but from the end of May until early Sept the bay bridge will be backed up for miles and miles on any given Fr/Sa/Sun, going both ways.

Then over at Ocean City, again from May-Sept, the entire beach is full of people, the board walk is more of a board shuffle, all the restaurants are jamb packed, and so forth.

We always found the most peaceful time of OC to be off peake season.

It's just how it is and the way of life living on the Eastern Shore of Md....if ya don't like it, then move, lol.

Old 03-13-2016, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetdoc3037 View Post
I agree...we live in Md, (for two more weeks, then to Punta Gorda)...however I lived on the Eastern Shore....and we didn't really call it 'in season' or 'snow birds', etc, but from the end of May until early Sept the bay bridge will be backed up for miles and miles on any given Fr/Sa/Sun, going both ways.

Then over at Ocean City, again from May-Sept, the entire beach is full of people, the board walk is more of a board shuffle, all the restaurants are jamb packed, and so forth.

We always found the most peaceful time of OC to be off peake season.

It's just how it is and the way of life living on the Eastern Shore of Md....if ya don't like it, then move, lol.
I'm sure it's the same way in any location popular with tourists.

Old 03-13-2016, 10:56 AM

296 posts, read 319,267 times
I'd imagine....snowbirds, beach season, whatever you want to put in front of it...its a lot of people that don't normally live in an area but influx it be it winter, spring, summer or fall....we used to always love it when school started up then you could cross the Bay Bridge without having to wait an hour or more, or go to the beach and have a spot in the sand without people laying across your feet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida