U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 02:22 PM

17,453 posts, read 10,525,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
I understand and agree that they contribute. The post you replied to was my sarcastic reply to Blue Heron's inference that our lack of state income tax is due to snowbird revenue. I realize she was probably exaggerating as well. I don't hate, loath or feel ungrateful for the snowbirds' contributions to our economy. Individually they are mostly wonderful. Collectively, they have quite an impact on day to day activities during the few months they're here.

I have many snowbird friends and they express some of the same frustrations that I do at the crowds, the traffic, the slow pace of play on the golf course and the aggressiveness in the aisles of Publix. Hey, I love my brother but he gets on my nerves sometimes. I look forward to late April.
Suggest that if they don't like it, they can go somewhere next Winter.

It will either get better or worse and the Snow Birds control it. They don't come, it is less crowded, they come less often, ditto. It isn't the residents causing the problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 03:57 PM

9,684 posts, read 6,974,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Who knows if you would have even been hired for a Florida medical job if it weren't for the tourists. Instead of large medical facilities, we might still have the little podunk hospitals of our small town hospitals etc. Sure the overall population has grown, but even in my town which is not a huge tourist destination the amount of people here during the winter has a huge impact on everything. Some of the snowbirds buy homes etc and make this area their home away from home and have primary doctors they see while here, use our banks, our lawyers, etc when they are residing here.

For example My BIL comes down in September stays through May. While he was here many years ago he got sick. Had to find a doctor. That doctor is his primary doctor and he even flies down in the summer to get medical care and returns to Tennessee rather than seeing a different doctor in Tennessee for his cancer. Even though he doesn't live here full time his financial advisers are here.

Our tourists and snow birds may not be the people you treated but just maybe because of them the population has grown to work in all the services they need to survive here and those people who move down to take the jobs are the people you referred to that would be here anyway. Tourism effects us all to varying degrees. You have to look at the whole big picture of things. For some who don't work even it may just be that it makes our taxes just a little cheaper for them to live here.
LOL, I'm quite capable of seeing the big picture, but thank you for the advice.

But considering the jobs I have had over my 40+ yrs of employment in FL, I'd be very hard pressed to say that snowbirds, or even other tourists had any effect on my getting and working in those jobs. The hospitals I worked in were located in areas where the population was dense, and growing (southern Miami-Dade county) and serving the local population kept us busy all year long, I never even noticed any uptick in the winter, and if we had snowbirds, I never noticed them-it's so crowded there I imagine if they were there they were lost in the crowd. The gain in population in this area was due in great part to immigration, legal and illegal, from points south of the US. Not snowbirds.

Teaching in a capped professional program in a university setting, locals, although they did seem to have a number of foreign students who came to the university, interestingly enough, on scholarships. But I never saw a snowbird in the entire time I spent there.

I never saw a snowbird, nor was the "work product" geared towards tourism when I worked in research and instruction in the medical manufacturing industry in that area. And not in the governmental regulatory industry either, although in my travels I certainly came to dread having to spend time on the roads in northern Broward, Palm Beach, Monroe or Collier Counties ( Lee county didn't get that crowded till later) or try to book lodging in those places during snowbird season.

Old 03-15-2016, 07:51 AM

3,553 posts, read 6,180,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
LOL, I'm quite capable of seeing the big picture, but thank you for the advice.

But considering the jobs I have had over my 40+ yrs of employment in FL, I'd be very hard pressed to say that snowbirds, or even other tourists had any effect on my getting and working in those jobs. The hospitals I worked in were located in areas where the population was dense, and growing (southern Miami-Dade county) and serving the local population kept us busy all year long, I never even noticed any uptick in the winter, and if we had snowbirds, I never noticed them-it's so crowded there I imagine if they were there they were lost in the crowd. The gain in population in this area was due in great part to immigration, legal and illegal, from points south of the US. Not snowbirds.

Teaching in a capped professional program in a university setting, locals, although they did seem to have a number of foreign students who came to the university, interestingly enough, on scholarships. But I never saw a snowbird in the entire time I spent there.

I never saw a snowbird, nor was the "work product" geared towards tourism when I worked in research and instruction in the medical manufacturing industry in that area. And not in the governmental regulatory industry either, although in my travels I certainly came to dread having to spend time on the roads in northern Broward, Palm Beach, Monroe or Collier Counties ( Lee county didn't get that crowded till later) or try to book lodging in those places during snowbird season.
Personally, I think you still missed it. Wasn't talking 1 on 1 interaction; but the other way tourists effect all of our finances and infrastructures in our counties, but whatever.

For example the population that could sustain you without the tourists or snowbirds is there because of the tourists and snowbirds. If grandma was a snowbird, loved it,retired here, her sons and daughters often move down to be near her. Schools, roads, medical facilities, financial institutions, etc were all needed because of this, so more people move down to run them.

When Disney came, they brought down a lot more tourists and snow birders. They did not build I-4 our taxes did etc. Toll roads were built and the tolls were supposed to pay for the roads in a matter of years, but because more snowbirds and tourists continue to come down, we are still paying tolls. Roads in general are constantly adding lanes and being repaired etc. on our dime and theirs to a point and many Floridians have never been to the parks or used the roads.

And the main thing that effected us that were here is the loss of the laid back Florida living that we loved as the snowbirds demanded more to keep them happy. Not a bad thing because we gain from it, but long time residents do long for some of the old ways. Just having to stop on the causeway bridge to let the boats pass is something that added some charm. You'd hop out of the car for 10 minutes to watch, talk to others waiting, and it was just part of your day. If you had to get to work over the bridge you planned for the closing of the bridge to get around waiting. With people from the North came the rush to get there and forgetting to smell the flowers. Anyway that is my take so I guess we will just never see this the same way and that is OK.

Old 03-15-2016, 08:00 AM

16,393 posts, read 13,061,532 times
Yet you all completely overlook/ignore the fact that millions of illegal immigrants are now filling your roads...unlicensed and uninsured and ignorant of the rules of our roads. It's a MUCH bigger problem than "snowbirds".

Old 03-15-2016, 08:40 AM

6,132 posts, read 3,059,819 times
This was not mentioned mostly because that's not the topic of discussion.

Old 03-15-2016, 08:53 AM

34,249 posts, read 41,284,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Yet you all completely overlook/ignore the fact that millions of illegal immigrants are now filling your roads...unlicensed and uninsured and ignorant of the rules of our roads. It's a MUCH bigger problem than "snowbirds".
How do you determine any given driver is an illegal immigrant or that he/she is unlicensed and uninsured? And how many millions are we talking about?.

Old 03-15-2016, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Personally, I think you still missed it. Wasn't talking 1 on 1 interaction; but the other way tourists effect all of our finances and infrastructures in our counties, but whatever.

For example the population that could sustain you without the tourists or snowbirds is there because of the tourists and snowbirds. If grandma was a snowbird, loved it,retired here, her sons and daughters often move down to be near her. Schools, roads, medical facilities, financial institutions, etc were all needed because of this, so more people move down to run them.

When Disney came, they brought down a lot more tourists and snow birders. They did not build I-4 our taxes did etc. Toll roads were built and the tolls were supposed to pay for the roads in a matter of years, but because more snowbirds and tourists continue to come down, we are still paying tolls. Roads in general are constantly adding lanes and being repaired etc. on our dime and theirs to a point and many Floridians have never been to the parks or used the roads.

And the main thing that effected us that were here is the loss of the laid back Florida living that we loved as the snowbirds demanded more to keep them happy. Not a bad thing because we gain from it, but long time residents do long for some of the old ways. Just having to stop on the causeway bridge to let the boats pass is something that added some charm. You'd hop out of the car for 10 minutes to watch, talk to others waiting, and it was just part of your day. If you had to get to work over the bridge you planned for the closing of the bridge to get around waiting. With people from the North came the rush to get there and forgetting to smell the flowers. Anyway that is my take so I guess we will just never see this the same way and that is OK.
Honestly, I can see your points in the influence snowbirds and other tourists have had on the state, and they are valid. There is no denying that FL is a big time tourist destination, and has been ever since I can remember. It's just that in my experience, living in an already densely populated area like Dade County, the ever growing local population ( a lot more of whom came from South America and the Caribbean Islands, especially later on, than came from the northern states) had a lot more influence on my work life than did tourists. Perhaps it was different on the various parts of Miami Beach, which were more likely to be tourist destinations than say, West Kendall or South Miami, but even still, I can't recall seeing a snowbird on Miami Beach since the mid-70's to early 80's when they replaced all those old folks rocking in their chairs on the porches of those old hotels with the Mariel boatlift refugees who settled in the area.

And it's been my observation that when it's time for the grandma who's lived in FL for years, or was a snowbird, to be closer to her kids and other family, most often she moves back to where they are, they don't move to FL.

Old 03-15-2016, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
How do you determine any given driver is an illegal immigrant or that he/she is unlicensed and uninsured? And how many millions are we talking about?.
We have some friends who are FHP troopers and work on the highways of south FL. They stop folks for traffic violations and work the numerous accidents occurring on these roads, and they've commented to us that fully half of the drivers in south FL they encounter have no driver's licenses, no insurance and never have. They also have no ID, or they'll give an alias, have no residence on record (or falsify that as well). Idon't know that you can say it's millions, but it's more people than you can ever imagine.

Old 03-15-2016, 02:29 PM

3,692 posts, read 3,087,308 times
It's not illegal immigrants clogging up the golf courses or tipping with Canadian coins.

Old 03-15-2016, 02:42 PM

12,135 posts, read 13,212,782 times
Actually there are approximately 1 million illegal aliens in FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida