U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 01:52 PM

296 posts, read 215,010 times

Advertisements

State employees or county...tough job
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 12:51 PM

1,444 posts, read 1,791,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetdoc3037 View Post
State employees or county...tough job

In Florida your car registration is handled by county not the state. That's part of the reason we had counties specified on the tag. You can register your car at any tax collectors office in the state, but the money will go to your home county. Now you can get tags that don't specify county... it will say SUNSHINE STATE or IN GOD WE TRUST(state motto of FL) for no additional cost, or you can opt for one of the hundreds of specialty tags for a group you want to support or have it match the color of your car better

In the Jacksonville area St Johns County has one Saturday a month that the tax collector is open, good for people who work full-time and cant make it at lunch, thats how one of the cars we have has tags from St Johns County even though I never lived in that county. I know of a guy who is a hard core Libertarian, he will renew tags in Liberty County in the panhandle, population of around 10k, so his tags have LIBERTY across the bottom.

Old 03-15-2016, 06:05 PM

Interesting....I am a Marine so I am trying to go with that type of license plate for our cars.

Old 03-15-2016, 06:15 PM

12,135 posts, read 12,664,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetdoc3037 View Post
Interesting....I am a Marine so I am trying to go with that type of license plate for our cars.
They can do that.............. Specialty License Plate - U.S. Marine Corps

Old 03-15-2016, 07:08 PM

Sweet, thanks Spring.

Old 03-15-2016, 08:19 PM

3 posts, read 2,801 times
Are they still doing the county name on the bottom of the plate? All I see on the website is an option for either Sunshine State or In God We Trust

Old 03-15-2016, 08:20 PM

499 posts, read 383,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
They can do that.............. Specialty License Plate - U.S. Marine Corps
OMG! There are so many specialty plates! I didn't know about them all until after I'd already got my car registered. I would love to get one, I just can't decide which. Check 'em out here:

Florida DHSMV - Specialty License Plates Images

Old 03-15-2016, 08:21 PM

499 posts, read 383,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by welch621 View Post
Are they still doing the county name on the bottom of the plate? All I see on the website is an option for either Sunshine State or In God We Trust
I got the standard off the shelf plate and mine says Palm Beach County.

Old 03-16-2016, 07:10 AM

1,444 posts, read 1,791,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by welch621 View Post
Miami-Dade does not have the option for county name but as far as I know all 66 others do. Online may be different.

People in the 1990s were afraid of getting car jacked if they drove into Miami with Palm Beach or Martin tags. They dont want anyone to know they live in a certain county but they will put stickers with their kids names and and kids sports teams, school but God forbid I know you are one of the millions in Hillsborough County! And they broadcast their entire life on facebook.

We were supposed to get a new tag design after 2012, but put on hold... The new design does/did not have county specified

Old 03-17-2016, 12:09 PM

1,782 posts, read 1,129,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCTtoFL View Post
OMG! There are so many specialty plates! I didn't know about them all until after I'd already got my car registered. I would love to get one, I just can't decide which. Check 'em out here:

Florida DHSMV - Specialty License Plates Images
Neat!! Thanks for the link!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida