Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 02:59 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,837,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
I look at it this way the I-95 corridor pulls in the people from the Northeast and they settle along the Atlantic Ocean side of Florida. Think warm and most flock to South Florida, especially New Jersey and New York people do.
The I-75 corridor pulls in people mainly from the Midwest and they settle primarily in Southwest Florida think warm again.

Central Florida is basically for the tourist driving down any interstate corridor as most head to Orlando and some will decide they like the region and decide to move and reside there.
I think this is correct Perry from all the stuff I have read on here. Plus, I am a Midwest girl from Wisconsin and I love the Gulf side......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 07:08 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,224,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
I look at it this way the I-95 corridor pulls in the people from the Northeast and they settle along the Atlantic Ocean side of Florida. Think warm and most flock to South Florida, especially New Jersey and New York people do.
The I-75 corridor pulls in people mainly from the Midwest and they settle primarily in Southwest Florida think warm again.

Central Florida is basically for the tourist driving down any interstate corridor as most head to Orlando and some will decide they like the region and decide to move and reside there.
Judging by the licence plates of snowbirds and the people I have met I"d say it's a pretty even mix on the west side.

Old 04-17-2016, 08:34 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
Because yankees are wimps and can't wear a coat for 3 months or so without complaining cough cough!

There's lots of transplants from the Midwest as well, and a lot from the Atlantic south (Carolinas, Georgia) but yes, the majority do come from the Mid-Atlantic and New England. Apparently they think 70 degrees in January is better than good school systems, lower crime and actually appealing architecture. I'm glad I was actually RAISED in Florida so I wasn't suckered into thinking its paradise. If I was from Massachusetts or Connecticut, no way in hell would I leave to Florida.
Not many people from the west, besides maybe Texas and the occasional Californian. Geographically its a longer haul.

Most transplants to Florida don't come to raise a family, I tell you that.

Old 04-17-2016, 10:32 AM

782 posts, read 759,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
B

You need to go to SoFla sometime, I can tell you that statement is incorrect. Plenty of our friends were having kids and lot's of them, one of my co-workers had 5 kids in 10 years, some RN friends of my wife said there was a baby boom going on at the local hospital.

Old 04-18-2016, 09:14 AM

499 posts, read 585,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Because yankees are wimps and can't wear a coat for 3 months or so without complaining cough cough!

There's lots of transplants from the Midwest as well, and a lot from the Atlantic south (Carolinas, Georgia) but yes, the majority do come from the Mid-Atlantic and New England. Apparently they think 70 degrees in January is better than good school systems, lower crime and actually appealing architecture. I'm glad I was actually RAISED in Florida so I wasn't suckered into thinking its paradise. If I was from Massachusetts or Connecticut, no way in hell would I leave to Florida.
Not many people from the west, besides maybe Texas and the occasional Californian. Geographically its a longer haul.

I am so glad you specifically mentioned Connecticut! I love when people make incredibly naive comments like "yankees are wimps and can't wear a coat for 3 months or so without complaining cough cough" PLEASE allow me to educate you so you don't make anymore foolish statements. This is from research I did prior to moving fro CT to FL. BEWARE - this post is LONG b/c there are SO MANY REASONS why people are leaving...and weather is not even mentioned.

When I decided to finally leave CT for good, it had drastically gone down-hill in EVERY possible measure. Residents are moving out in record numbers. High state taxes spurring migration
It is #4 on the list of top 10 states people are leaving. Oregon is the most popular state to move to - Jan. 4, 2016

Here is a wonderful OP/ED published on Forbes website "How Did Rich Connecticut Morph Into One Of America's Worst Performing Economies?" Forbes Welcome

- When I decided to leave in 2013, Connecticut ranked #50 – the worst — in annual economic growth. It's the only state in the nation where in 2012, the combined value of goods and services produced shrank compared with 2011. Every other state showed growth. Connecticut's Economic Decline Worst In Nation - tribunedigital-thecourant

- Loss of manufacturing jobs and even entire industries - especially in the cities - has led to blocks of empty, abandoned buildings that are havens for drug use, vandalism, arson, gang activity, etc. Where I live in Fairfield County CT, Bridgeport has now risen to #9 on a cnn list of the Most Dangerous Cities Bridgeport, Conn. - Most dangerous cities - CNNMoney

- Traffic is HORRENDOUS! Bridgeport-Stamford area is #6 on the list of WORST traffic in the country
Ten cities with the worst traffic I-95 is the PREFFERED method of traveling west towards NYC vs. the Merritt Parkway which was built in the 1940's. A two lane highway with NO breakdown lane (and in places, not even a SHOULDER to pull over onto if there's an accident or breakdown) and HARDLY a median. There are horrible, fiery, fatal car crashes nearly EVERY DAY. The slightest little mishap closes down a travel lane and your left with one lane and tons of rubbernecking delays. It was never, ever meant to handle the amount of traffic that uses it. Bridges are notoriously unsafe and crumbling in disrepair.

- -The "Real Historic Architecture" is nice to look at and admire, but a nightmare to actual live or work in. Schools, courthouses, government buildings are just plain OLD, nasty, and can make people really sick: Are schools making kids sick? - CNN.com Asbestos in the ceilings, lead paint on the walls, lead in the water, radon in the basement, old/inadequate/unsafe wiring, copper pipes, antiquated cast iron water mains and gas lines, toxic dust, termites, rodent infestations, the list goes on and on:

- The infrastructure is crumbling: This is an article about NY, but CT's infrastructure is the same age. Harlem Gas Explosion: New York City Infrastructure Is Crumbling

- TAXES are the among the worst in the nation. Wallethub's list of best and worst states to be a taxpayer. Florida comes in at #10 on the list of best places to be a taxpayer (or #11 with COL adjustments). Average annual state & local taxes are $4,305. Connecticut is #48 (or #50 with COL adjustments) with an annual tax burden of $10,131. https://wallethub.com/edu/best-worst...plete-rankings

Oh and in response to THIS: Most transplants to Florida don't come to raise a family, I tell you that.
- Childcare in Connecticut is among the absolute worst in the nation! We Can Do Better Childcare Aware of America's Ranking of State Childcare Center Regulations and Oversight scores 51 states (including the District of Columbia) and Department of Defense (DoD) on key aspects of their child care centers. It reviews state licensing policies, which include both program requirements and oversight, plus compliance. In this case New York ranks #1, Florida ranks #25, and sadly Connecticut rates #42 http://usa.childcareaware.org/wp-con...2020041013.pdf

We Can Do Better - 2013 Update - Child Care Aware of America

- Plus childcare in Connecticut is VERY expensive: - annual childcare costs per state, taken from the above report:
Connecticut: Infant $12,844 / 4 y.o. $10,530
Florida: Infant $8009 / 4 y.o $6368

Old 04-18-2016, 12:57 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
If you havent lived there you cannot have a true opinion about life in the N.E. The weather is one of the least important factors to consider when leaving the N.E. Those who have not lived there simply cant grasp what it really about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCTtoFL View Post
I am so glad you specifically mentioned Connecticut! I love when people make incredibly naive comments like "yankees are wimps and can't wear a coat for 3 months or so without complaining cough cough" PLEASE allow me to educate you so you don't make anymore foolish statements. This is from research I did prior to moving fro CT to FL. BEWARE - this post is LONG b/c there are SO MANY REASONS why people are leaving...and weather is not even mentioned.

When I decided to finally leave CT for good, it had drastically gone down-hill in EVERY possible measure. Residents are moving out in record numbers. High state taxes spurring migration
It is #4 on the list of top 10 states people are leaving. Oregon is the most popular state to move to - Jan. 4, 2016

Here is a wonderful OP/ED published on Forbes website "How Did Rich Connecticut Morph Into One Of America's Worst Performing Economies?" Forbes Welcome

- When I decided to leave in 2013, Connecticut ranked #50 – the worst — in annual economic growth. It's the only state in the nation where in 2012, the combined value of goods and services produced shrank compared with 2011. Every other state showed growth. Connecticut's Economic Decline Worst In Nation - tribunedigital-thecourant

- Loss of manufacturing jobs and even entire industries - especially in the cities - has led to blocks of empty, abandoned buildings that are havens for drug use, vandalism, arson, gang activity, etc. Where I live in Fairfield County CT, Bridgeport has now risen to #9 on a cnn list of the Most Dangerous Cities Bridgeport, Conn. - Most dangerous cities - CNNMoney

- Traffic is HORRENDOUS! Bridgeport-Stamford area is #6 on the list of WORST traffic in the country
Ten cities with the worst traffic I-95 is the PREFFERED method of traveling west towards NYC vs. the Merritt Parkway which was built in the 1940's. A two lane highway with NO breakdown lane (and in places, not even a SHOULDER to pull over onto if there's an accident or breakdown) and HARDLY a median. There are horrible, fiery, fatal car crashes nearly EVERY DAY. The slightest little mishap closes down a travel lane and your left with one lane and tons of rubbernecking delays. It was never, ever meant to handle the amount of traffic that uses it. Bridges are notoriously unsafe and crumbling in disrepair.

- -The "Real Historic Architecture" is nice to look at and admire, but a nightmare to actual live or work in. Schools, courthouses, government buildings are just plain OLD, nasty, and can make people really sick: Are schools making kids sick? - CNN.com Asbestos in the ceilings, lead paint on the walls, lead in the water, radon in the basement, old/inadequate/unsafe wiring, copper pipes, antiquated cast iron water mains and gas lines, toxic dust, termites, rodent infestations, the list goes on and on:

- The infrastructure is crumbling: This is an article about NY, but CT's infrastructure is the same age. Harlem Gas Explosion: New York City Infrastructure Is Crumbling

- TAXES are the among the worst in the nation. Wallethub's list of best and worst states to be a taxpayer. Florida comes in at #10 on the list of best places to be a taxpayer (or #11 with COL adjustments). Average annual state & local taxes are $4,305. Connecticut is #48 (or #50 with COL adjustments) with an annual tax burden of $10,131. https://wallethub.com/edu/best-worst...plete-rankings

Oh and in response to THIS: Most transplants to Florida don't come to raise a family, I tell you that.
- Childcare in Connecticut is among the absolute worst in the nation! We Can Do Better Childcare Aware of America's Ranking of State Childcare Center Regulations and Oversight scores 51 states (including the District of Columbia) and Department of Defense (DoD) on key aspects of their child care centers. It reviews state licensing policies, which include both program requirements and oversight, plus compliance. In this case New York ranks #1, Florida ranks #25, and sadly Connecticut rates #42 http://usa.childcareaware.org/wp-con...2020041013.pdf

We Can Do Better - 2013 Update - Child Care Aware of America

- Plus childcare in Connecticut is VERY expensive: - annual childcare costs per state, taken from the above report:
Connecticut: Infant $12,844 / 4 y.o. $10,530
Florida: Infant $8009 / 4 y.o $6368
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida