U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 03:14 PM

7,647 posts, read 16,027,047 times

Advertisements

I'd say have a look at Jacksonville- I've heard the JAX beach communities described as how Southern California used to be in the 60s and 70s. If you've got the money to get Disney annual passes, even at Florida resident rates, then it shouldn't be that much more of a stretch to do an overnight motel stay on weekends when you visit the parks. Orlando hotel market is super overbuilt, and you can often find that which is not four star buy which is clean and safe for not that much money.

As for Orlando, there are actually a lot of nice, non-cookie cutter neighborhoods there. It's just that city planners neatly corralled the touristas in the theme parks-airport-outlet malls triangle SW of downtown and most tourists never venture beyond that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 03:33 PM

5 posts, read 3,149 times
Thank you! I'm checking out Tampa right now.

Old 03-31-2016, 04:12 PM

893 posts, read 550,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I disagree with your assessment. Miami Beach is the most similar to Las Vegas. All the lights, clubs, music, parties until 5:00 AM. Every friend that visits me in Orlando, we always go to Miami a couple nights too and they all love Miami, but also say it's like Vegas on the beach.
I don't know if I agree. Miami Beach certainly attracts tourists who want a wild weekend, as does Las Vegas, as does New Orleans but I find Miami Beach much more similar to a 'New Orleans' than a 'Las Vegas.'

Couple points why, Miami Beach is authentic, it's not a strip or a park built to take your money. When you come to Miami Beach you're in the Art Deco district and the clubs are intermingled with residences, shops and ofc, hotels. In regards to the Vegas strip, everything feels man-made and manufactured (kind of like the attractions in Orlando). The hotels are not Boutique style hotels as they are in Miami Beach and New Orleans but are mega-resorts with themes (like they are in Orlando).

Orlando targets a different kind of "wild weekend" than Las Vegas does, but it approaches the problem in a similar fashion. Essentially both Las Vegas and Orlando are giant man-made amusement parks whereas Miami Beach and New Orleans' are cities with clubs that stay open late.

Old 04-01-2016, 07:04 PM

16,990 posts, read 20,591,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaclynariana View Post
I'm looking to move to Florida in the next few months with my girlfriend and we are having trouble picking a city. My girlfriend wants to be less than 30 minutes to the beach and I want to be less than and hour and a half to Orlando. We are both in our mid twenties and we have a dog. So we want to take the dog to the beach if possible as we can't here. We are not party girls at all but we do like to do fun things so we need a city that we won't be bored in. By that I mean we lived in Las Vegas for a while and hated it because there was nothing to do but go to the strip. Also we are both girls so I must ask, how is the gay community out there? As for jobs, we are both dog groomers so we need an area that loves them dogs so we can can find jobs.
Thank you in advance for any help.
Hopefully you have extensive savings, as in at least 6 months for all you living expenses for two people. Moving without jobs is risky, you also have to worry about trying to rent an apt. or a house. Unless you can show you have savings that can cover a few months rent you're going to have trouble.

Maybe you're just thinking about this, but being close to Disney or the beach shouldn't be your top priorities.

Old 04-01-2016, 10:02 PM

17,878 posts, read 17,716,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
I don't know if I agree. Miami Beach certainly attracts tourists who want a wild weekend, as does Las Vegas, as does New Orleans but I find Miami Beach much more similar to a 'New Orleans' than a 'Las Vegas.'

Couple points why, Miami Beach is authentic, it's not a strip or a park built to take your money. When you come to Miami Beach you're in the Art Deco district and the clubs are intermingled with residences, shops and ofc, hotels. In regards to the Vegas strip, everything feels man-made and manufactured (kind of like the attractions in Orlando). The hotels are not Boutique style hotels as they are in Miami Beach and New Orleans but are mega-resorts with themes (like they are in Orlando).

Orlando targets a different kind of "wild weekend" than Las Vegas does, but it approaches the problem in a similar fashion. Essentially both Las Vegas and Orlando are giant man-made amusement parks whereas Miami Beach and New Orleans' are cities with clubs that stay open late.
I never said Miami Beach wasn't authentic. I just meant people who love living in Vegas, would probably hate living in Orlando. Las Vegas and Orlando are virtually polar opposites. Miami Beach is much more similar to Las Vegas as much of your entertainment and friends will be into the dancing and the whole clubbing scene. Where as in Orlando, you're life will be much more laid-back. Most locals in Orlando don't go to theme parks unless they have friends visiting from out of town.

You need to compare what life would be like... and it would be tough to say... a person living in Las Vegas would have a more similar lifestyle in Orlando than Miami Beach. I'm sure the person would say, their lifestyle would be the exact opposite in Orlando, in pretty much every way thinkable.

If you are viewing it from a tourist perspective, then you could draw a parallel between the man-made Vegas strip to the man-made Orlando theme parks. However, lifestyle is once again the complete opposite. Your weekend fun with friends won't be centered around getting trashed at the clubs. In Orlando, it would probably be going to a natural springs to swim or kayak or go to a farmers market.

Last edited by bmw335xi; 04-01-2016 at 10:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or