Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2016, 08:15 PM

96 posts, read 110,823 times

Advertisements

HI,

I'm single female with 2 dogs looking to move to Florida from NY this summer. I'm looking for an area in the Central part of Florida. My first priority is safety. I keep reading that Florida is one of the states with the highest crime. I'm also looking for easy access to a nice beach with not alot of tourists. Nice area for shopping and browsing in a nice town.
I came across Palm coast and Flagler beach and wanted information about those areas and what they offer.
If someone could give me names of other towns that I could research I would appreciate it.
I'm looking to rent either a townhome or home.

Thank you for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2016, 10:57 AM

26,798 posts, read 43,267,473 times
To begin with you need to get over safety as your primary concern as crime is typically isolated to areas you're not going to find yourself spending any time, like anywhere else in the country and falling victim to a crime in most good areas is up there with being struck by lightning. As a single female I would imagine you might want other singles around more so than families and retirees, so you may want to reconsider an area like Palm Coast which isn't known as a place to live as a single person. There are plenty of safe areas in more desirable places and would recommend some further investigation. Check out places like Clearwater, Dunedin and Oldsmar in the Tampa Bay area which offers easy access to the beaches, things to do and options for meeting others with plenty of safe neighborhoods to choose from.

Old 04-02-2016, 05:14 PM

96 posts, read 110,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
To begin with you need to get over safety as your primary concern as crime is typically isolated to areas you're not going to find yourself spending any time, like anywhere else in the country and falling victim to a crime in most good areas is up there with being struck by lightning. As a single female I would imagine you might want other singles around more so than families and retirees, so you may want to reconsider an area like Palm Coast which isn't known as a place to live as a single person. There are plenty of safe areas in more desirable places and would recommend some further investigation. Check out places like Clearwater, Dunedin and Oldsmar in the Tampa Bay area which offers easy access to the beaches, things to do and options for meeting others with plenty of safe neighborhoods to choose from.

Thank you very much

Old 04-02-2016, 07:11 PM

151 posts, read 153,833 times
As for looking for a place with a nice beach and not a lot of tourists, Palm Coast and Flagler Beach are nice. During Bike Week and Biketoberfest, Flagler Beach the town gets busy with bikes, but the beaches themselves are still fine. And about a nice place to shop and browse, Palm Coast and Flagler are not for you. Palm Coast has a Walmart, Home Depot, Lowe's, Target and other large box stores like those. There aren't really any "small town" shops there. Flagler Beach doesn't have anything other than a Publix really. You are close by to St. Augustine to go walk around and shop though.

Old 04-04-2016, 08:29 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,117,880 times
Get yourself a app that shows crime. The one I tried would show the location on a street map and color coded by type of crime.

We live in Ormond-by-the-sea which is just south of Flagler Beach. I don't care for Palm Coast and Hammock as A1A is pushed away from the Atlantic, if you look at satellite images on google maps it appears that A1A used to be nearer the Atlantic but washed out north of Beverly Beach and was rerouted. I think it is hard to pull out onto A1A in Flagler.

Ormond Beach, Daytona Beach Shores and Wilber-by-sea are all in the Daytona Beach area. New Symerna Beach, Coco Beach and Melbourne, Satellite Beach are all beachside Altlantic central Florida places to consider.

Old 04-04-2016, 08:41 PM

13,363 posts, read 7,666,489 times
You'd probably be happier a little further south. Ormond Beach, Port Orange, or Brevard county. Palm Coast is where yankees go to die, not live.

Old 12-18-2016, 04:23 PM

206 posts, read 570,554 times
OMG Palm Coast is where Yankees go to die? That is SO depressing hahaha

Old 12-19-2016, 03:19 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,552,678 times
The beaches in Flagler County are not really crowded. There is outcroppings of limestone so not all sand, it is a change from a lot of Florida. It could be dangerous if you like swimming or surfing, but there are tide pools etc. Palm Coast/Flagler County is as others have said very retirement centric, not a lot of jobs. People will commute to Jacksonville or Orlando. For some its worth it but it gets old driving 45 min-hour to a job.

You have grocery stores, Walmart, Target etc right there locally but if your want more its a trip to St Johns Town Center in Jacksonville or Orlando.

Most of the people in PC are from up north and are more oriented to Orlando and Central Florida, because its more familiar to them. But its really much easier to get to Jacksonville for work, shopping etc.

I like St Augustine better than PC but there some people who really love Palm Coast.

Is Central Florida a must for you? Consider North Florida beach towns too, St. Augstine, Fernandina Beach and Jacksonville Beaches ( Jacksonville Beach, Neptune Beach, Atlantic Beach in Duval County and Ponte Vedra Beach in St. Johns County) Nice towns, the Duval towns are more walkable and bikeable, you can even ride bike on hardpack sand when tide is out. You can walk dogs on beach easily (some hour restrictions). Not as well known as Central and South Florida in New York. It can get a little colder in winter but that will keep them from being overrun by retirees and tourists

Florida cities have a reputation for crime, but it really depends on the neighborhood of the city. Some really high crime areas but very safe areas. Florida cities are geographically large compared to the Northeast and encompass what would separate municipalities in New York.

Good luck on your search. If you can come visit, rent a car and drive A1A from Fernandina to Ponce Inlet

Last edited by jwolfer; 12-19-2016 at 03:29 PM..

Old 01-07-2017, 03:38 PM

1 posts, read 2,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post
You'd probably be happier a little further south. Ormond Beach, Port Orange, or Brevard county. Palm Coast is where yankees go to die, not live.
This is very true. Palm coast is almost all new yorkers.
Now the real problem is people are almost all drunks. Its the pass time and the only activity people seem to want to do is meet for drinks. dont get me started on the Bikers!! 50+ yr old people that act like they are
college kids. party party party, bike runs, bars, biker bingo. Alcohol & weed are the main pass time in palm coast. even down at the beach area... bikers feel superior and take over the bars & eateries along A1A

No class. I moved here and 3 yrs later I cant wait to leave

Old 01-24-2017, 10:47 AM

77 posts, read 81,049 times
[quote=floridabitbit;46748624]This is very true. Palm coast is almost all new yorkers.
Now the real problem is people are almost all drunks. Its the pass time and the only activity people seem to want to do is meet for drinks. dont get me started on the Bikers!! 50+ yr old people that act like they are
college kids. party party party, bike runs, bars, biker bingo. Alcohol & weed are the main pass time in palm coast. even down at the beach area... bikers feel superior and take over the bars & eateries along A1A

No class. I moved here and 3 yrs later I cant wait to leave.

Most bikers are decent, hard working people who just want to have a good time on their vacation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida