Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 10:41 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,753,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Have you made it down to Stuart yet?
Nope. North to south. Checked out Fernandina, Amelia and Jax Beaches. So far Atlantic Beach is the best fit but housing costs are high! San Marco, Riverside, Avondale today, St Aug for the weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 03:59 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,118,590 times
Remember to check out Hammock, lots of trees. Once you get to Volusia County (just south of Flagler Beach) you might want to drive John Anderson Drive as it has the most trees beachside. The easiest way to do that is turn right at Loggerheads, the street will dead end on John Anderson. You can drive John Anderson all the way to SR 40 (Granada). John Anderson is 25 mi an hour with an a few stop signs - very slow, but all the beachside areas with live oaks and other big broadleaf trees will be near John Anderson and the intercoastal waterway.

Old 04-17-2016, 09:52 PM

Went down to Ormond Beach today and drove John Anderson from there back north until it ended. Ormond Beach by the river was nice, but I didn't really find an area that clicked. Also checked out Hammock and almost ate at Captain's BBQ but decided to keep going. I think I may have had lunch at Captains about twenty years ago if it was there then. It looks like most of Hammock has been taken over by a mega-development and if there was any kind of downtown, I missed it. There were a couple of small areas of Anastasia/St Aug Beach that may be interesting.

The Saturday trip to the close in areas in Jacksonville was good. I liked Avondale the best but it's over a half hour to the beach and house prices are like up north! San Marco was good, and closer to the beaches and Riverside was okay too but not as nice as Avondale. It seemed like Riverside is about twenty years younger demographically than Avondale.

New Smyrna to Cocoa/Melbourne tomorrow.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:49 PM

New Smyrna looks okay near the beachside downtown near the North Causeway and the mainland downtown looks okay but the housing nearby is pretty dilapidated.

Took some time to hit the beach today because the wind finally died down. Went through the Cocoa Village area but doesn't look like any decent housing close to it except the riverside, high end stuff. Drove through Merritt south of 520 and will get back there tomorrow unless the beach calls again. Cocoa Beach will take some work to figure out the right area.

On down through Stuart to Delray later this week then over to the Gulf to visit friends.

Old 04-19-2016, 05:22 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,115,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
New Smyrna looks okay near the beachside downtown near the North Causeway and the mainland downtown looks okay but the housing nearby is pretty dilapidated.

Took some time to hit the beach today because the wind finally died down. Went through the Cocoa Village area but doesn't look like any decent housing close to it except the riverside, high end stuff. Drove through Merritt south of 520 and will get back there tomorrow unless the beach calls again. Cocoa Beach will take some work to figure out the right area.

On down through Stuart to Delray later this week then over to the Gulf to visit friends.
Don't waste any time in the north end of Cocoa Beach around the Pier and Ron Jons. The real town begins south of Dennys. Drive around the neighborhoods just west of downtown.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PABC View Post
Daytona Beach? Ormond, Daytona, Shores, Port Orange and Ponce Inlet are livable cities.
Went to Ormond Beach but have no interest in Daytona. Too big, too loud, too much traffic, too many crowds, especially during race and bike weeks. If there was a real tree in Daytona, I missed it.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:57 PM

Spent time at the beach again, going to check out Merritt Island a little more and then go through lower Cocoa Beach and Indialantic to Melbourne.

Working down towards Stuart tomorrow and Delray Thursday.

Old 04-20-2016, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PABC View Post
I have family in Daytona and know the area well. It is not what you say it is. Daytona is only loud during the few big events they have each year. Trees are all over the county. Air is clean. Small town feel but is the most populated city from West Palm to Jacksonville. Traffic is nothing compared to Orlando to West Palm. Some of the widest beach in the state are in Daytona. People are fairly nice. Daytona proper is not so great but the Shores and Ponce Inlet to the south are nice and Ormond to the north is nice. Other cities I suggest are Stuart, Jupiter-if u can afford it), Palm Beach-if u can afford it), Ponte Vedra Beach. Sebastian Inlet is cheap and has the best waves in all Florida.

That's my impression and I'm sticking with it; feel free to stick with yours. Why compare traffic to any other area with no interest? I'm sure there's more traffic in Chicago also, but no one is considering a move to Chicago here. Our idea of treed areas also is in disagreement - doesn't mean either is wrong, just different criteria or points of reference.

I guess I'm used to smaller towns than you are so we're not going to agree on what constitutes a small town feel. I'll be in Stuart tomorrow and Delray on Thursday; the Palm Beach area holds no interest to me.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:45 AM

74 posts, read 76,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Spent time at the beach again, going to check out Merritt Island a little more and then go through lower Cocoa Beach and Indialantic to Melbourne.

Working down towards Stuart tomorrow and Delray Thursday.
What did you think of the Merritt Island, Cocoa Beach and Melbourne? My wife and I might be relocating down there from Charleston for a job at NASA this summer. We're going down there this weekend to check things out ourselves to see if it's the right move but would love to hear your opinion on it as well. We hate to leave Charleston, but the plans are to rent out the house and come on back in a few years. Anyways, we were thinking of checking out those three areas you mentioned as well as Rockledge, Cape Canaveral and certain parts of Cocoa.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babu617 View Post
What did you think of the Merritt Island, Cocoa Beach and Melbourne? My wife and I might be relocating down there from Charleston for a job at NASA this summer. We're going down there this weekend to check things out ourselves to see if it's the right move but would love to hear your opinion on it as well. We hate to leave Charleston, but the plans are to rent out the house and come on back in a few years. Anyways, we were thinking of checking out those three areas you mentioned as well as Rockledge, Cape Canaveral and certain parts of Cocoa.
There are a lot of different housing choices in those areas - I'd be looking for a smaller house near a "downtown" kind of area. On advice of people familiar with the area I checked out Merritt Island south of 520 and found nice houses, largely concentrated near the rivers but none of the downtown type areas I saw elsewhere; it's possible I missed something.

I liked the Cocoa Village area of Cocoa but saw little housing close by. Cocoa Beach, also south of 520, had some nice areas west of A1A and does have a little downtown in the area where A1A splits apart with a couple of blocks separating the northbound and southbound traffic. Melbourne has a very nice downtown but is older and doesn't have much of the type housing I was looking for.

Melbourne Beach and Indialantic also have small downtowns very close to the beach and have a range of housing options which may work for me - if they're what you want may be another story, just as there is historic Charleston and developer created Charleston.

There are certainly lots of choices but everyone has a different idea of what is the ideal place for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida