Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 05:05 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Lets see now....you have not been able to retire at 65 and get full benefits for a few years now, so hasn't the age gone up and isn't it already higher for all you young people? Just checked.....67 is the retirement if born in 1970 and 68 if after 1970 but as more people live longer that will go up again, too. Medicare is still available at 65, but if more people continue to work that will probably go up.

These are not entitlements though. We all pay into SS and pay the medicare tax.
Too little to late. Want to guess what has happened to life expectancy since Medicare was created several decades ago?

(Hint: it's gone up several years more, not just 2). It should be indexed up continuously and reevaluated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 05:07 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,188,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
Not irrational at all but a strong sense of "fair play" I never asked for other people's money and I dislike when other people ask for mine. This is why I live in Florida -no state income tax- and why I go to Europe for 4 months every year - to reduce the amount of federal income taxes I pay.

I'm sorry to say but I'm not the only one - a lot of people in my shoes and those who make even more than me go through great lengths to minimize their taxes. For better or worse those of us who strongly value money, work very hard to make it and are very hard to part with it. Even when I give to charity it's more or less for tax purposes and to get some recognition and good pr. Not because I really care.
Really pathetic. Next time why don't you just stay in Europe. The US doesn't need more of your sort.

Old 04-10-2016, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upgrader View Post
Simple answer to this - join the rest of the civilized world in universal healthcare. Unless you live in hell, you shouldn't have to shop for healthcare. Kind of like shopping for breathable air or clean water. I'm all for properly regulated capitalism (read Michael Lewis if you don't understand), but healthcare doesn't work in the simple supply/demand/intelligent-consumer paradyme.

Wish I could rep you again. These people don't understand that. They also don't understand the concept of insurance. Not everyone gets what they put in, some get more, some get less, and some get none.

Old 04-10-2016, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I would be fine with that. That would be the ultimate goal. But you're not going to get there until those on Medicare share the pain. Look at those Tea Party protesters. Most were seniors receiving Medicare actually protesting against anyone younger getting coverage. In order to balance the scales, we're going to have to stop or severely reduce Medicare coverage so that they too feel the pain. Right now, all they do is vote for their own coverage. We just need to give them exactly what they paid for and nothing more. A heart bypass or hip surgery and they will be done.

And then what. Next problem you die? Or maybe after you use up your Medicare you should be put down.

I'm not on Medicare, I pay for insurance and I can tell you that private insurance companies really don't want to insure people over 60. You'd only last on private insurance (aka vouchers) for so long.

Old 04-10-2016, 05:16 PM

892 posts, read 859,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
Really pathetic. Next time why don't you just stay in Europe. The US doesn't need more of your sort.
I'm glad you know better but giving to charity is not a requirement, so why are you upset? If I were never to give to charity (like most Americans really don't) that doesn't make me a bad person, just not a generous person.

But I do give to charity, I can admit it's largely motivated by selfish reasons. But the charity benefits, I benefit, my business can benefit, everyone comes out smiling.

And I'm a US citizen just like you - you can say whatever you want, but I'll still do as I please. I don't know much about you so it's hard to judge, but I have a feeling I've done a lot more for the USA than you, especially if you're some office drone.

Old 04-10-2016, 05:18 PM

892 posts, read 859,713 times
Quote:
And then what. Next problem you die?
You will die anyway. Sorry to inform you.

The relevant topic is if Seacove should sacrifice going on a annual vacation to wherever he pleases for you to live a couple more years. I guess Seacove doesn't want to make that sacrifice and is fine with you dying a couple years early.

TBH, I don't care either. No offense I don't know you. If I knew you, and you were my friend, I'd care. But now I really don't.

Old 04-10-2016, 05:22 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
Quote:
And then what. Next problem you die? Or maybe after you use up your Medicare you should be put down.

I'm not on Medicare, I pay for insurance and I can tell you that private insurance companies really don't want to insure people over 60. You'd only last on private insurance (aka vouchers) for so long.
Perhaps seniors should have thought of that when they went all against health coverage for everyone. There is no reason taxpayers should pay for the huge gap between what Medicare recipients receive and what they paid, while receive no coverage themselves. Seniors are living longer than ever and getting more and more expensive treatments. While taxpayers are being called "losers" by the very same Medicare recipients taking all their tax dollars. Oddly enough, most seniors are Republicans and Paul Ryan wrote the plan for voucherizing Medicare.

Can you explain why there were no protests for unfunded Medicare Part D but huge protests at the thought of others receiving health coverage? Remember all the signs carried by seniors saying "Keep your government hands off my Medicare!"? And I've shown there is a huge discrepancy between what Medicare recipients pay and what they receive. Am I saying they should die? No, they are just going to have to struggle the same way those without health coverage do today. And once they see the struggle themselves, maybe they won't protest against everyone receiving health coverage.

Old 04-10-2016, 05:31 PM

To answer Seacove- I actually wanted to see universal coverage OR at least a public option so the insurance industry would have some competition.

To answer Majami- no started my own company that created good paying, real jobs and provided health insurance coverage as part of the employment package. Worked in the pharmaceutical industry so I am well aware of that segment of healthcare costs.

Old 04-10-2016, 05:32 PM

809 posts, read 746,842 times
Quote:
Wish I could rep you again. These people don't understand that. They also don't understand the concept of insurance. Not everyone gets what they put in, some get more, some get less, and some get none.
Thanks, rep'd you back and feel the same way.

But our medical absurdity is so irritating. Do you like reading about all the medical devices that can capture your "data"? Given the possibility of returning to medical underwriting, who the heck would knowingly like to participate in "big medical data"? Such a conflict. Help further medicine at the risk of getting discriminated against.

It will be a sad state of affairs if we stumble into cruze or maybe trump

Old 04-10-2016, 05:36 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,315,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Nope, we don't all feel that way. This woman was disgusting and out of line. To disrupt and speak to someone this way in public is uncivil and just rude.

And honestly, her complaints were nothing more than "I want free stuff, you are making it harder to get free stuff from the government, wah wah"
Agree her behavior was painful to watch. May be why she is a former public official. Doesn't act right
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida