U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-11-2016, 09:13 PM
 
4 posts, read 3,133 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacketHauler View Post
I'll be the first to admit this (and I'll probably catch flak for it): Minnesotans live in a bubble, thinking we are the best kept secret in the country. We aren't, "Minnesota Nice" really is a fancy term for being passive-aggressive. We just use the term to feel better about ourselves. Since my wife grew up in Florida, outside of that culture, it drove her up the up the wall when she moved to MN to live with me. Living outside that bubble now (for the first time ever), I can't say I blame her for feeling that way. Going somewhere completely different than what I knew, is eye opening, but completely refreshing. I wish more people that moved here, would instead just go with the flow instead of trying to change things to be like the north. Florida isn't the north, that's what makes it Florida!
Thanks for the advice. Not sure which part of MN you're from, but the passive aggressive part definitely holds true in the center of the state! It's also known as being "two-faced." The level of ignorance towards people that aren't German and pasty-white is pretty disgusting. I've learned to just bite my tongue and nod my head. "Yep, you go git-er-dun bud, you've worked hard all your life and don't want dose Somalians taking yer tax money."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-12-2016, 07:22 AM
 
4,978 posts, read 7,268,569 times
Reputation: 7907
Your wife is gonna leave u to live in a warmer climate?
Um... wow.
Your wife sounds like a terrible person.

I hope that warm weather helps her take care of her kids and provides for her. I hope that wamr weather keeps her warm at night and provides her with company day to day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2016, 07:40 AM
 
10,604 posts, read 14,126,728 times
Reputation: 17198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippycootie View Post
Thanks for the advice. Not sure which part of MN you're from, but the passive aggressive part definitely holds true in the center of the state! It's also known as being "two-faced." The level of ignorance towards people that aren't German and pasty-white is pretty disgusting. I've learned to just bite my tongue and nod my head. "Yep, you go git-er-dun bud, you've worked hard all your life and don't want dose Somalians taking yer tax money."
Oh for chrissakes don't move to FLORIDA. We do NOT need more smug condescending interlopers lecturing us here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2016, 02:33 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
6,009 posts, read 3,339,167 times
Reputation: 7666
You're leaving one of the best states in the country for one of the worst, because it is cold up there for a few months... okay.

Florida's weather is horrible, imo. I grew up there. It is way too hot for too long and the state is just a whole mess

If you want warmer weather but good quality of life then Texas or NC are better choices
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2016, 02:49 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
6,009 posts, read 3,339,167 times
Reputation: 7666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
I'll wager south florida is an even better economical decision/move for people with low incomes. Just imagine a life in central Minnesota. What will a person want to do come that long and cold winter? Take a vacation somewhere warm with a beach. There is a spike of swimming suit sales in Minnesota in the winter months due to all the vacations they take then.

Now a vacation is an expense, one can say terrible expense for low income earners since they're not saving to improve their situation. Well, if they move to Florida they will need to take less vacations, unless ofc they have left behind family they need to visit. Though most likely family will visit them.

... South Florida is a better economical decision for people with low incomes? It is wicked expensive down there, what are you talking about! 300,000 dollars for an ugly one storey stucco house in Hialeah, you think that is cheap? That might get you a beautiful two storey Victorian house where I live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2016, 08:03 AM
 
Location: Davie, FL
2,117 posts, read 1,361,268 times
Reputation: 1482
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
... South Florida is a better economical decision for people with low incomes? It is wicked expensive down there, what are you talking about! 300,000 dollars for an ugly one storey stucco house in Hialeah, you think that is cheap? That might get you a beautiful two storey Victorian house where I live.
Supply and demand. Nobody wants to live where you live. Just like where my dad lives in Georgia, you could get a nice 3/2 house for $45k. $300k is pushing the envelope of upper class.

And besides, you can get a lot more than a junk Hialeah house for $300k in South Florida. It's not THAT bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2016, 11:35 AM
 
Location: FLORIDA
8,964 posts, read 6,212,042 times
Reputation: 3374
Hialeah's a dump. I wouldn't live there for free.. How's that for supply and demand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2016, 12:49 PM
 
5,187 posts, read 5,661,203 times
Reputation: 1614
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
You're leaving one of the best states in the country for one of the worst, because it is cold up there for a few months... okay.

Florida's weather is horrible, imo. I grew up there. It is way too hot for too long and the state is just a whole mess

If you want warmer weather but good quality of life then Texas or NC are better choices

Yea, Florida is the worst state that has the third largest population with only one-fifth the area of boring Texas that Texas heat has burned your brain out.




Minnesota is a beautiful state until the frozen tundra of winters roll around, don't tell someone where to live unless you have lived there for a considerable amount of time.


Why aren't people flocking there everyday like they are Florida ? Duh, get your facts straight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2016, 12:52 PM
 
5,187 posts, read 5,661,203 times
Reputation: 1614
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
Hialeah's a dump. I wouldn't live there for free.. How's that for supply and demand.


So is Oviedo but hey it is a place to live, right Bubba.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2016, 03:56 PM
 
Location: FLORIDA
8,964 posts, read 6,212,042 times
Reputation: 3374
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
So is Oviedo but hey it is a place to live, right Bubba.
Oviedo is actually pretty nice, Pablo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:45 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top