U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 08:29 PM

4 posts, read 3,135 times

Advertisements

I'm 28 and my wife 26. We have a almost 4 year old and a new one coming in 7 months. We've lived in Central MN our whole lives. I'm working in software project management and she's been working here and there to help out, so we are anything from super well off. I have a nest egg of employee stock money and got pretty lucky with making over $20k on our first house from 2012 to now.

All that being said, my wife had gotten to the point where she will leave me if that's what it takes to live in a hot and somewhat tropical climate. We both get sick a lot lately and I do agree, we are the right people to move. We have visited Florida a couple times and I really don't think it's right for me. Way too humid and lots of people all over. She wants to be in the Tampa area by her sister.

I have done a lot of research to find good locations in the area, but I am so nervous about the adjustment and just failing. Any advice from some families that have moved around here that can ease my mind and so I know I can do it? I feel like any family can make it anywhere. I always excel at my jobs, but I want a good life for my family that got taken away from everyone else we knew, and I want some friends too.

Thanks for any help, I really appreciate it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 10:30 AM

1,338 posts, read 1,383,956 times
Florida would not be a good choice for you. The schools are terrible and the software industry is small compared to other places. I work from home but you usually have to bring your job with you (I did). My division's new manager wants everyone to come into the office to promote synergy or whatever and that means and I may have to find another job. If I had to depend on the local market for work, I would be hosed.

Silicon Valley has pleasant weather year round, lots of jobs for PMs but it has a high cost of living. Austin TX has a small tech industry and might be a good choice for you. I believe the Austin area is better educated than most of Texas and may value schools. About 10 years ago research triangle in NC would have been a decent destination, but I believe it is dying, their current governor has killed NC's attractiveness to educated folks and tech companies are leaving. NC just passed anti-transgender legislation and PayPal which was considering Charolette but decided not to create 400 jobs there after the legislation was signed into law.

Old 04-10-2016, 03:14 PM

17,443 posts, read 10,514,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippycootie View Post
I'm 28 and my wife 26. We have a almost 4 year old and a new one coming in 7 months. We've lived in Central MN our whole lives. I'm working in software project management and she's been working here and there to help out, so we are anything from super well off. I have a nest egg of employee stock money and got pretty lucky with making over $20k on our first house from 2012 to now.

All that being said, my wife had gotten to the point where she will leave me if that's what it takes to live in a hot and somewhat tropical climate. We both get sick a lot lately and I do agree, we are the right people to move. We have visited Florida a couple times and I really don't think it's right for me. Way too humid and lots of people all over. She wants to be in the Tampa area by her sister.

I have done a lot of research to find good locations in the area, but I am so nervous about the adjustment and just failing. Any advice from some families that have moved around here that can ease my mind and so I know I can do it? I feel like any family can make it anywhere. I always excel at my jobs, but I want a good life for my family that got taken away from everyone else we knew, and I want some friends too.

You should not move unless you have a job already In the State. That being said, FL, TX, CA would all fit your requirements IF you have a job that fits the COL. FL being my 1st choice, then TX,then CA and I am a CA native.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:06 AM

1,444 posts, read 1,921,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippycootie View Post

You can adapt to another climate but I would hate to move and miserable because of the humidity. If she has a sister in Tampa, talk to her and her family. At least you know someone who actually lives in FL and realizes its more than constant vacation. Going somewhere to visit and living there are very different.

Florida is a big state and has a few big cities that have different feels: Miami is Latino, Jacksonville is Southern, Tampa has lots of midwest transplants, South Florida has lots of NE transplants, etc. Unlike Minnesota, Georgia or NY with one big city and the "rest of the state".

You said she is not working full time, perhaps she could go for an extended visit in the middle of July or August and feel constant heat and humidity and see if living in Florida is actually what she wants.

IT jobs are going to be in the larger cities: Tampa, Orlando, Jacksonville, South FL. Obviously Orlando is closest to Tampa area, Jacksonville is 3-4 hours away, Miami is 4-5 Hours away.

Do some preliminary research and look into jobs for you in the larger cities

Old 04-11-2016, 12:35 PM

525 posts, read 459,090 times
Id caution you on her premise that moving for weather will make her happy. Everyone loves Fl weather when they come in March from the freezing cold and snow. They dont even think about mid April-Nov (give or take) when its 90+ and humid every single day. Its not that we have a few days like this; EVERY SINGLE DAY is like this for months on end. Florida is a revolving door of people who move here cause they had a few nice vacations and then realize day to day life here is not at all like that for any of who are not uber rich. Coming from MN there will be a massive culture shock once you settle into day to day life. I came from upstate NY and trust me when i say Florida is nothing remotely similar to the north.

Im not saying do not do it, but to be honest your wife sounds like she not being very realistic. Shes not thinking about day to day life, shes thinking it will be one big vacation

Old 04-11-2016, 01:17 PM

2,126 posts, read 1,364,581 times
I think it's one big vacation. It's all what you make of it.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:56 PM

4,785 posts, read 5,322,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
I think it's one big vacation. It's all what you make of it.
A lot depends on your income.
The OP specifically stated they're far from well off.

You talk quite often of your wealth.. so it's (2) very different situations.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:05 PM

893 posts, read 551,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
A lot depends on your income.
The OP specifically stated they're far from well off.

You talk quite often of your wealth.. so it's (2) very different situations.
I'll wager south florida is an even better economical decision/move for people with low incomes. Just imagine a life in central Minnesota. What will a person want to do come that long and cold winter? Take a vacation somewhere warm with a beach. There is a spike of swimming suit sales in Minnesota in the winter months due to all the vacations they take then.

Now a vacation is an expense, one can say terrible expense for low income earners since they're not saving to improve their situation. Well, if they move to Florida they will need to take less vacations, unless ofc they have left behind family they need to visit. Though most likely family will visit them.

Old 04-11-2016, 04:43 PM

109 posts, read 117,660 times
Some excellent advice given so far! From what you have said in your original post, I do not think Florida is for you. You both need to compromise or else one of you will be miserable. What about Virginia? It is beautiful there and the winters aren't nearly as rough or as long as Minnesota. So long as you don't live in Northern Virginia, you will find lots of space and a decent cost of living. There are jobs in your field there as well (my husband and I used to live in Richmond) so long as you aren't completely in the sticks.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:24 PM

8,964 posts, read 6,218,274 times
For weather? No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or