U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 03:10 PM

2 posts, read 1,335 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband and I are thinking to relocate to Fl and are considering the areas more to the north, panhandle, or somewhere on the gulf side. He doesn't like the central-south part of the state. We want to be close to the beach or have water view at least. Could be condo or single family. We want something less than 1 hour to the airport, and good shopping (grocery stores, outlets, malls, etc) and restaurants. We really don't party, want more like a laid back life style and a safe place. We are in our mid 40s. Good medical services is important too. I guess we want it all

Thanks a lot for all the input you can provide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 03:23 PM

1,444 posts, read 1,923,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangelstevens View Post
Hello,

My husband and I are thinking to relocate to Fl and are considering the areas more to the north, panhandle, or somewhere on the gulf side. He doesn't like the central-south part of the state. We want to be close to the beach or have water view at least. Could be condo or single family. We want something less than 1 hour to the airport, and good shopping (grocery stores, outlets, malls, etc) and restaurants. We really don't party, want more like a laid back life style and a safe place. We are in our mid 40s. Good medical services is important too. I guess we want it all

Look around the Jacksonville area. There are the Beaches and intercoastal for waterview. Jacksonville also has the St Johns River and tributaries that offer waterfront view and boating access throughout the metro area. Jax has good medical facilities, the airport has a decent amount of non-stops to major cities( NYC, Philadelphia, DC, Houston, Dallas etc) and connections world wide via Atlanta. And the airports in Orlando are about 2 hours if you find a really good deal.

Jax is a metro area of ~1.5 million, so you wont need to go far for shopping etc. And it is right on the coast, the farthest you would be from the beach is 45 minutes. Jax is more"Southern" and laid-back than Miami, Tampa or Orlando; and although there are transplants and retirees its not snowbirds, lots of military retirees. People who move here usually come for a job... not because they came here on vacation once and thought it would be cool to live in Florida or because grandma lives nearby

If you ever wanted to go to Disney etc its only a 2.5 hour drive

Old 04-13-2016, 03:28 PM

2,178 posts, read 6,437,120 times
Jobs?

Old 04-13-2016, 03:30 PM

8 posts, read 5,139 times
Jacksonville = Rednecks.

I don't think Tampa has ever been hit by a major hurricane. Correct me if I'm wrong. We were considering Tampa or Phoenix but decided on Phoenix.

Consider Tampa or Dunedin - Dunedin is just north of Tampa but a quaint town and nice beaches, and low crime rate. I don't know about the shopping there but Tampa is not too far away.

Old 04-13-2016, 03:50 PM

2,865 posts, read 6,390,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTraveler View Post
Jobs?
Agreed- we need employment info as well as housing budget.

Old 04-13-2016, 03:53 PM

469 posts, read 415,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangelstevens View Post
Hello,

Navarre or Gulf Breeze.

Old 04-13-2016, 04:00 PM

407 posts, read 667,422 times
Wow Jacksonville... you mean there are cities in Florida that aren't infested with snowbirds!? I am living in Fort Myers area, every winter this place fills up. Traffic is awful, beaches are packed! During the summer months southwest Florida empties out. This place is beautiful during the summer months. Wish it was like this all year long.

I have friends that are from Pensacola. They love it!

Old 04-14-2016, 07:55 AM

67 posts, read 78,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSkyBound View Post
Jacksonville = Rednecks.

I don't think Tampa has ever been hit by a major hurricane. Correct me if I'm wrong. We were considering Tampa or Phoenix but decided on Phoenix.

Consider Tampa or Dunedin - Dunedin is just north of Tampa but a quaint town and nice beaches, and low crime rate. I don't know about the shopping there but Tampa is not too far away.
you're wrong....there are rednecks in every Florida city. I lived in Phoenix for 5 years and moved to Tampa and then Jacksonville. good luck with Phoenix. Huge lack of water there.

Last edited by sidewinder103; 04-14-2016 at 08:34 AM..

Old 04-14-2016, 10:07 AM

1,444 posts, read 1,923,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSkyBound View Post
Jacksonville = Rednecks.

Idiot! Thats like saying Miami=Sp**s

I would venture you have not spent much time in Jacksonville, maybe you got gas while driving through once. Furthermore you are biased against Southerners. If I judged Tampa on driving on 275 I would think it is the strip club and adult toy store capital of the world; I dont because I realize a city is much more than one area.

Jacksonville and Tampa have not been hit by a major hurricane. Dora came ashore near Jax in 1964 as a cat 2. Still lots of damage. Although climatologically Jax and Tampa are less likely to be hit, either place could have a Cat 5 hit... and if you are living there when it happens it doesn't matter if has been 250 years.

Old 04-14-2016, 12:14 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,781,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder103 View Post
you're wrong....there are rednecks in every Florida city. I lived in Phoenix for 5 years and moved to Tampa and then Jacksonville. good luck with Phoenix. Huge lack of water there.
Sidewinder, you lived in Phoenix? How long ago?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or