U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-17-2016, 11:16 AM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 13,259,891 times
Reputation: 6010

Advertisements

You mistakenly perceive my comments as a defense while my purpose is to show that these problems exist in many places.


I dont know what you do to cause people to nearly run you off the road or have cars come inches from your bumper and people hanging out yelling and screaming with threats of "I'm going to kill you $#%#$".

I dont see why you are commenting on S. FL when you live in San Diego Not even one in the same, might as well be a different country.





Quote:
Originally Posted by aewan68 View Post
Yes, I have driven in San Diego 78, 15, 5, I also drive in North San Diego County daily, nothing comparable to SoFla yet. LA though is a not a fun place to drive.

Since you insist on internet sources, here you go and yes I have first hand experienced some of this aside from actual shooting, I have been nearly run off the road a few times, had cars come inches from my bumper and people hanging out yelling and screaming with threats of "I'm going to kill you $#%#$".

I do not know why you are defending SoFla when you live in Spring Hill? Not even one in the same, might as well be a different country.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sout...w=1366&bih=633


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCAjfuLcvQ8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-17-2016, 11:21 AM
 
Location: North County San Diego Area
786 posts, read 496,197 times
Reputation: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
Florida is a "No-Fault" state, meaning insurance will naturally be higher than states who are not "No-Fault."

Do you know another state that is "No-Fault"? One is Michigan, and at least the Detroit area has far higher insurance premiums than Miami.



3: Michigan - 5 States with Unusually High Auto Insurance Rates | HowStuffWorks

In fact, there are quite a bit of states above Florida.

Now I'll agree that people in Miami honk more than other states. That really has nothing to do with "bad driving", you might not find it courteous, but it's not dangerous driving.
PA is also No-Fault, My insurance there was just as cheap as here. GA was also cheap and I lived in the Atlanta area.

Michigan is high due to many reasons, including what you stated, also auto theft in Detroit is very high, last I read seven times the national average. Like FL also a lot of people drive without insurance, the terms within their insurance also drives up the cost.

Excessive horn blowing as soon as the light turns green is due to impatience also the amount of people from the NY metro area where it's quite common.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2016, 11:23 AM
PDF
 
11,386 posts, read 10,525,717 times
Reputation: 6606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I am not stating it is all peaches and cream ANYWHERE but I am saying that it is just as bad, if not worse in all major metros in the U.S.
Miami is not on the same level as these other cities you are talking about. That much is obvious. Driving in some of those places might be bad, yes, but South FL/Miami is completely different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2016, 11:26 AM
 
10,236 posts, read 12,267,752 times
Reputation: 14124
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
IMO, the bad drivers are the 20-40 yr old who are impatient, who are texting, who got licenses without any sort of drivers ed training......old timers are predictable......these 20-40 yr olds aren't.

This one gets interesting at the 2:45 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsKdjuWK2Yw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2016, 11:31 AM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 13,259,891 times
Reputation: 6010
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Miami is not on the same level as these other cities you are talking about. That much is obvious. Driving in some of those places might be bad, yes, but South FL/Miami is completely different.
Your personal opinion is noted. Nothing factual (studies, reports, statistical contemplations) back it up, but people will believe whatever the voices in their heads tell them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2016, 11:33 AM
 
Location: North County San Diego Area
786 posts, read 496,197 times
Reputation: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
You mistakenly perceive my comments as a defense while my purpose is to show that these problems exist in many places.


I dont know what you do to cause people to nearly run you off the road or have cars come inches from your bumper and people hanging out yelling and screaming with threats of "I'm going to kill you $#%#$".

I don't see why you are commenting on S. FL when you live in San Diego Not even one in the same, might as well be a different country.
Your comments are "defensive" and I'm finding it hard to imagine why you are discussing a part of FL you do not even live in? I lived in SoFla for a long time, just because I recently moved to San Diego doesn't mean my data and experiences are out of date. Have you ever lived in SoFla? I'm intrigued to know where you are gathering your life experiences from?

You don't have to do anything to get harassed, it just happens, say you do not go right on a red when it say's you cannot go, guy behind you is blowing his horn, he is compelled to follow you into your parking lot at work and starts yelling and screaming at you for obeying the law, also calls you every name in the book.

I have experienced it all and so has my wife and others I know, it's not like you go out looking for a fight, it often comes to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2016, 11:47 AM
 
Location: Savannah GA/Lk Hopatcong NJ
13,106 posts, read 24,898,943 times
Reputation: 11146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Of course CA does not have the same cross section population.

15 cities with the worst drivers
Rank City Average no. of years between accidents
1 Worcester, MA 4.3
2 Boston 4.4
3 Washington 5.1
4 Springfield, MA 5.4
5 Providence, RI 5.4
6 Baltimore 5.4
7 Glendale, CA 5.8
8 Alexandria, VA 5.9
9 Philadelphia 6.2
10 New Haven, CT 6.3
11 San Francisco 6.4
12 Hialeah, FL 6.5
13 Los Angeles 6.5
14 Pittsburgh 6.6
15 Miami 6.7

Read more: What cities have the worst drivers? - Bankrate.com
Wowza, there is one poster moaning about drivers from NJ or NY, strange not one city in either state is in the top 15.
I've driven all over NJ,NYC,Bklyn and never had the bejesus scared out of me like here in SW FL.
I think it's a multitude of issues. Young people, old people, snowbirds, vacationers not familiar with the terrain and when is FL going to join the rest of the country and ban hand held devices??? You can't text but you can glue that phone to your ear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2016, 11:55 AM
 
Location: SWFL
22,882 posts, read 19,316,357 times
Reputation: 21333
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
It is horrendous. I don't need CTtoFLs approval. I'm sure PDF would agree, someone that's been here, what 6 months, still has the rose colored glasses on.
My rose colored glasses came off the first Monday I went out onto 436. I thought the traffic I had encountered the month before when I came down to sign my lease was weekend traffic!! WRONG. You have no idea how bummed out I am about moving here and I am stuck. No money behind me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
"Bad" compared to what? NYC, Houston, LA, Chicago? or Madison Wisconsin? Believe it or not, every large U.S. city has traffic problems and along with that comes a percentage of drivers who loose their patience in traffic or are inept for the conditions. Does it mean they are "bad drivers" or is it more of the "rats in a cage" supposition which I have referred to before?
I have driven in NYC, Houston, Baltimore, most capital cities all along the East Coast. As bad as those cities are, they DO NOT compare to the traffic in my part of Central Florida! I drove down to Key West 10 years ago and I had no problem but I doubt I would now. NOTHING compares to the traffic in Florida. NOTHING.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aewan68 View Post
SoFla is quite bad for driving, you have a mix of seniors and people from Caribbean countries where rules of the road and proper driving skills are not required. Then you have to figure in the people who are very aggressive short fused, which in SoFla there is plenty of. Turn signals, never used, I need to go right but I'm in the far left lane, let me cut across 4 lanes of traffic and then come to a complete stop and turn into a strip mall. People driving down the wrong way on 95, pulling into a strip mall and then driving through store fronts.
I see that every time I go out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Of course CA does not have the same cross section population.

15 cities with the worst drivers
Rank City Average no. of years between accidents
1 Worcester, MA 4.3
2 Boston 4.4
3 Washington 5.1
4 Springfield, MA 5.4
5 Providence, RI 5.4
6 Baltimore 5.4
7 Glendale, CA 5.8
8 Alexandria, VA 5.9
9 Philadelphia 6.2
10 New Haven, CT 6.3
11 San Francisco 6.4
12 Hialeah, FL 6.5
13 Los Angeles 6.5
14 Pittsburgh 6.6
15 Miami 6.7

Read more: What cities have the worst drivers? - Bankrate.com
And all my moaning and groaning comes from a person who, up until 6 months ago, had no problem driving in #s 1,2,4,5 and 10 all my life!! So you think Florida DOESN'T SUC at driving??? Think again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
It is true that the revenue from tickets appears to be more important in Florida than any safety issues. Not just unconstitutional high-profit camera tickets either.

In SoFla, the HOV lane is half-empty during much of the time. Every morning there are tons of cops pulling single person cars over and ticketing them, and the fines are expensive. Meanwhile, nobody is obeying the law in the other 4 lanes, but cops don't do anything. I asked a couple of cop friends about it, as it seems so senseless. They said the orders come straight from the top--the governor's office--to prioritize the high revenue HOV lane tickets, and the the cops think it as stupid as we do.

The legislature for years refused to make texting while driving illegal, despite the numerous accidents, injuries and fatalities it causes. They finally made it illegal, but only as a secondary offense--not in and of itself.

There was a movement in the legislature at one time to make the interstates' left lanes for passing only in order to alleviate road rage and accidents due to slow moving people in the left hand lane (by drivers who are either brain-dead or inconsiderate control freaks--take your pick) and also because it-duh-makes sense. This was vetoed by the legislature and governor.

Florida's legislature and governor are determined to keep Florida a dangerous and obnoxious state to drive in, despite anyone's or any group's attempt to change the laws favoring safety and rationality. But that's ok, because you can have as many guns in your vehicle as you want, in case you get pissed off at other drivers.
The government of Florida sux too. BIG TIME.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aewan68 View Post
Yes, I have driven in San Diego 78, 15, 5, I also drive in North San Diego County daily, nothing comparable to SoFla yet. LA though is a not a fun place to drive.

Since you insist on internet sources, here you go and yes I have first hand experienced some of this aside from actual shooting, I have been nearly run off the road a few times, had cars come inches from my bumper and people hanging out yelling and screaming with threats of "I'm going to kill you $#%#$".

I do not know why you are defending SoFla when you live in Spring Hill? Not even one in the same, might as well be a different country.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sout...w=1366&bih=633


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCAjfuLcvQ8
When I was down here in September to sign my lease, I was stopped at the corner of 436 and Maitland (didn't know that then but now I do). Turning right but the red arrow was on. The dude behind me would not get off the horn. I so badly wanted to flip the bird but I contained myself because I was scared. I heard stories of worse road rage down here. I put the windows up, seriously thought of blowing the arrow because I was nervous this crazy person behind me would come shoot me through the window! I held my ground. I didn't know at that time that people are "packing" all the time, whether legal or not.

Wow, I would LOVE to see roads like that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
Now I'll agree that people in Miami honk more than other states. That really has nothing to do with "bad driving", you might not find it courteous, but it's not dangerous driving.
A month after I moved here, a woman was beat up because she did not make the right turn against the red arrow. A pregnant woman! Plus read my above post. You, sir, talk out your nether regions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2016, 12:00 PM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 13,259,891 times
Reputation: 6010
Quote:
Originally Posted by aewan68 View Post
Your comments are "defensive" and I'm finding it hard to imagine why you are discussing a part of FL you do not even live in? I lived in SoFla for a long time, just because I recently moved to San Diego doesn't mean my data and experiences are out of date. Have you ever lived in SoFla? I'm intrigued to know where you are gathering your life experiences from?

You don't have to do anything to get harassed, it just happens, say you do not go right on a red when it say's you cannot go, guy behind you is blowing his horn, he is compelled to follow you into your parking lot at work and starts yelling and screaming at you for obeying the law, also calls you every name in the book.

I have experienced it all and so has my wife and others I know, it's not like you go out looking for a fight, it often comes to you.

You find it defensive because it shows opinions are like .... everyone has one. I never take opinion over factual statements. Ive seen and given many opinions that agree with factual evidence. I'm not one who takes opinion as gospel.


Ive spent quite a bit of time in S. Fl. My parents had a house on Normandy Island and many vacations were spent there but no difference, that was 20 years ago +. Miami Beach was our "home base" for our excursions throughout the state. Currently, I have a brother in Pembroke Pines, childhood friends in Ft. Lauderdale and Miramar. I have other relatives in Coral Springs, Venice and Port St. Lucie and for the past 27 years that Ive lived in Fl I have spent quite a lot of time in S. Fl, February 2016 being the most recent

I moved from NYC and after 17 years in Orlando came to Spring Hill as I long ago learned that I dont prefer life in metros.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2016, 12:04 PM
 
Location: Gorgeous South Florida
499 posts, read 415,926 times
Reputation: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Your personal opinion is noted. Nothing factual (studies, reports, statistical contemplations) back it up, but people will believe whatever the voices in their heads tell them.
EXACTLY right! No matter what metrics you are looking at - fatalities, accident rates, tickets, car insurance rates, car repair rates, etc. the FACTS do NOT back up your claims. Just more whining and Florida bashing from the usual sources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:14 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top