U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2016, 12:13 PM

12,135 posts, read 13,269,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Miami is not on the same level as these other cities you are talking about. That much is obvious. Driving in some of those places might be bad, yes, but South FL/Miami is completely different.
If you perceive it to be, that's fine. When was the last time you drove aroun Bensonhurst, Brooklyn NY or on the Van Wyck Expressway in Queens, NY? How about the Eisenhower, the Kennedy or the Dan Ryan in Chicago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 12:14 PM

499 posts, read 416,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
You find it defensive because it shows opinions are like .... everyone has one. I never take opinion over factual statements. Ive seen and given many opinions that agree with factual evidence. I'm not one who takes opinion as gospel.

Ive spent quite a bit of time in S. Fl. My parents had a house on Normandy Island and many vacations were spent there but no difference, that was 20 years ago +. Miami Beach was our "home base" for our excursions throughout the state. Currently, I have a brother in Pembroke Pines, childhood friends in Ft. Lauderdale and Miramar. I have other relatives in Coral Springs, Venice and Port St. Lucie and for the past 27 years that Ive lived in Fl I have spent quite a lot of time in S. Fl, February 2016 being the most recent

I moved from NYC and after 17 years in Orlando came to Spring Hill as I long ago learned that I dont prefer life in metros.
Don't bother arguing about it...its a complete waste of time & energy. Like you said, experiences are like you-know-whats and everyone has one. For whatever reason, many posters on this thread feel their driving experiences trump what the FACTS show and what numerous studies conclude.

Old 04-17-2016, 12:15 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,534,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCTtoFL View Post
Don't bother arguing about it...its a complete waste of time & energy. Like you said, experiences are like you-know-whats and everyone has one. For whatever reason, many posters on this thread feel their driving experiences trump what the FACTS show and what numerous studies conclude.
This is how I (and many others) feel trying to debate with Spring Hillian. And not just in this thread. Leave it be.

Old 04-17-2016, 12:20 PM

Quote:
EXACTLY right! No matter what metrics you are looking at - fatalities, accident rates, tickets, car insurance rates, car repair rates, etc. the FACTS do NOT back up your claims. Just more whining and Florida bashing from the usual sources.
I always wonder why the people who left FL consistently return via this website? I also wonder why people blindly move to areas and cities that they don't know about.

Even some who claim to live here (as well as those who don't) spout outdated and incorrect information.

Old 04-17-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
This is how I (and many others) feel trying to debate with Spring Hillian. And not just in this thread. Leave it be.
Its not much of a debate when the opposing parties rely on personal opinion and misinformation in their attempts to discredit a place where they didnt like because .... (insert personal laundry list here) but fail to acknowledge facts.

Old 04-17-2016, 09:35 PM

786 posts, read 496,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
You find it defensive because it shows opinions are like .... everyone has one. I never take opinion over factual statements. Ive seen and given many opinions that agree with factual evidence. I'm not one who takes opinion as gospel.

Ive spent quite a bit of time in S. Fl. My parents had a house on Normandy Island and many vacations were spent there but no difference, that was 20 years ago +. Miami Beach was our "home base" for our excursions throughout the state. Currently, I have a brother in Pembroke Pines, childhood friends in Ft. Lauderdale and Miramar. I have other relatives in Coral Springs, Venice and Port St. Lucie and for the past 27 years that Ive lived in Fl I have spent quite a lot of time in S. Fl, February 2016 being the most recent

I moved from NYC and after 17 years in Orlando came to Spring Hill as I long ago learned that I dont prefer life in metros.
20 years ago, those were different times and based on your visits you probably take the FL Turnpike the entire way. Try commuting to a job at rush hour, take 95 South From West Palm Beach to Miami and then back again at 5PM, or avoid 95 and take some of the heavily populated streets that are grid structure throughout SoFla and see how far you get. 595 near the Hollywood Airport, also another joy to drive at rush hour.

Since your going back 20 years ago, I remember driving on the turnpike and there was no cars, was dark and not used too heavy. Lot's of roads in SoFla were 2 lane and sparsely populated, cattle roamed along side much of it, now those said areas are 4 to 8 lanes of north and southbound traffic, developments, big box stores and strip malls and endless traffic that never seems to end all hours of the day, with exception very early morning as I did it 3AM or so a few times.

Old 04-17-2016, 09:41 PM

Quote:
EXACTLY right! No matter what metrics you are looking at - fatalities, accident rates, tickets, car insurance rates, car repair rates, etc. the FACTS do NOT back up your claims. Just more whining and Florida bashing from the usual sources.
What Facts would that be? It's not FL bashing, car insurance rates are insane in SoFla, that much is a fact and I'm not just using my own experience but all the people I know who still live there.

Car insurance rates vary widely - Sun Sentinel

Old 04-17-2016, 09:43 PM

Quote:
What are the "Facts"? I really want to know these details. Do you commute to work or just drive to the Wellington Green and back from Isles of Wellington on Lake Worth Road?

Old 04-17-2016, 11:37 PM

22,895 posts, read 19,331,879 times
What's wrong with moving blindly? You try being a disabled widowed female with no family, living with 107"+ of snow a winter and an acre of land to mow in the summer. Oh, that's right, you are a male, so you can spout off.

People ask me how I like Florida, I say "fine, except the traffic." To a person they shake their head and agree. Natives too.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:39 AM

167 posts, read 114,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aewan68 View Post
What are the "Facts"? I really want to know these details.
The facts are 25% of the drivers on the road are uninsured, the facts are florida leads the nations in hit and run accidents, the facts are 4 florida cities top the charts in pedestrian and bicycle deaths due to automobiles. What other FACTS do you people want?

Besides the bad drivers yea there are other parts of the state that make it a decent place to live just because it does terrible at something doesnt mean you people need to get all crazy about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida