U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2016, 10:42 AM

526 posts, read 463,042 times

Advertisements

Personally, i find Florida drivers to be the absolute worst in the nation. After living in multiple states and moving the Fl, down here is with out a doubt the worst. The biggest factor to all this IMO is simply lack of consequences. It is hard to get pulled over in Florida. Being on 95 or 75 and going 90 just to flow with traffic is not rare. Turn signals? not even sure why we have them. Exit from the left lane? no problem, wont get you pulled over. In NY where i came from, you knew if you were going 15 over you would get stopped. You knew not signaling would equal a ticket, down here not so much. Its not rare for me to drive a hundred miles and not see a single police car radaring for speeders where as in NY it seemed like every few miles.

There are many other factors that make it bad to including the mix of people and the lack of cell phone laws. Texting and driving isnt even illegal yet and its not rare at all to see someone driving 80 in the left lane texting away on their phone. I took a quick look at FL versus NY fatal accident numbers (close in population) and FL is more than double. 3500 to 1500 or so for 2014.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 10:47 AM

893 posts, read 556,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02blackgt View Post

There are many other factors that make it bad to including the mix of people and the lack of cell phone laws. Texting and driving isnt even illegal yet and its not rare at all to see someone driving 80 in the left lane texting away on their phone. I took a quick look at FL versus NY fatal accident numbers (close in population) and FL is more than double. 3500 to 1500 or so for 2014.
Those numbers are misleading due to the sheer tourist numbers we get who rent cars, and seasonal residents who come down in their cars as well. Simply put, there are more drivers on Florida roads than our population suggests.

A lot of tourists come to NYC as well, but they don't rent cars in Manhattan (God Forbid). There is a reason why our traffic clears nicely from June-December.

Old 04-18-2016, 11:47 AM

12,135 posts, read 13,259,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aewan68 View Post
20 years ago, those were different times and based on your visits you probably take the FL Turnpike the entire way. Try commuting to a job at rush hour, take 95 South From West Palm Beach to Miami and then back again at 5PM, or avoid 95 and take some of the heavily populated streets that are grid structure throughout SoFla and see how far you get. 595 near the Hollywood Airport, also another joy to drive at rush hour.

Since your going back 20 years ago, I remember driving on the turnpike and there was no cars, was dark and not used too heavy. Lot's of roads in SoFla were 2 lane and sparsely populated, cattle roamed along side much of it, now those said areas are 4 to 8 lanes of north and southbound traffic, developments, big box stores and strip malls and endless traffic that never seems to end all hours of the day, with exception very early morning as I did it 3AM or so a few times.
Tip: Take a course in reading comprehension. I wrote that it was 20 years ago when my parents lived on Normandy Island.

Obviously, you missed the rest of the post.

"Currently, I have a brother in Pembroke Pines, childhood friends in Ft. Lauderdale and Miramar. I have other relatives in Coral Springs, Venice and Port St. Lucie and for the past 27 years that Ive lived in Fl I have spent quite a lot of time in S. Fl, February 2016 being the most recent"

Driving in S FL can be tedious at times but certainly the same as any other metro area.

Old 04-18-2016, 12:03 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,525,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Famalam View Post
The facts are 25% of the drivers on the road are uninsured, the facts are florida leads the nations in hit and run accidents, the facts are 4 florida cities top the charts in pedestrian and bicycle deaths due to automobiles. What other FACTS do you people want?

Besides the bad drivers yea there are other parts of the state that make it a decent place to live just because it does terrible at something doesnt mean you people need to get all crazy about it.
Yes! It's all or nothing with these folks, I guess.

Old 04-18-2016, 09:57 PM

786 posts, read 496,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
Those numbers are misleading due to the sheer tourist numbers we get who rent cars, and seasonal residents who come down in their cars as well. Simply put, there are more drivers on Florida roads than our population suggests.

A lot of tourists come to NYC as well, but they don't rent cars in Manhattan (God Forbid). There is a reason why our traffic clears nicely from June-December.
Rental cars are easy to spot, though the state changed the plates from the old days when a few got lost in Miami and got robbed and murdered, back in 1993. That's back when rental cars were easy to spot with Y or Z starting letters, the state changed that and now all you have to look for are the small barcodes on the windows or "no smoking sticker", easy to spot. I saw them, but not the sheer numbers one would expect. Most snowbirds have their cars brought down on trailers.

Traffic is less in SoFla when there is a holiday since a lot of the population works county jobs, no goverment work, no school = less cars on the road. I would save 15 minutes on my commute during the summer often, not having to deal with school zones and people who drive their kids to school.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:03 PM

786 posts, read 496,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Tip: Take a course in reading comprehension. I wrote that it was 20 years ago when my parents lived on Normandy Island.

Obviously, you missed the rest of the post.

"Currently, I have a brother in Pembroke Pines, childhood friends in Ft. Lauderdale and Miramar. I have other relatives in Coral Springs, Venice and Port St. Lucie and for the past 27 years that Ive lived in Fl I have spent quite a lot of time in S. Fl, February 2016 being the most recent"

Driving in S FL can be tedious at times but certainly the same as any other metro area.
Tip, don't quote dated info that does not apply to the current state of SoFla. 20 years ago is not current events.

It's not the same as other metro area, but you can keep telling yourself that if you like.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:06 AM

128 posts, read 343,309 times
I have to agree with most people that driving in Florida is a challenge. I don't really have any concrete evidence to prove or disprove the possible reasons but after almost 20 years in traffic enforcement down here I have a few opinions. This isn't an all inclusive list, just a few things that popped into my head as I read the comments in here.

First, the sheer number of vehicles in this state has got to contribute to poor driving habits. We are now the third most populated state in the nation. When you throw in the 80 million plus tourists that we have every year, it makes for some crowded roadways. If you add the permanent population of Florida and the tourists, you have about 100 million people in this state. There are only 12 countries in the entire world that have a population of 100 million people or more. When we consider that the residents of Florida are from all over the country, we have to remember that driving styles vary from region to region. I'm originally from an extremely rural area of the northeast. Every road near my home was two lanes. I would have had to drive about 40 miles just to find a roadway that wasn't two lane. I had to adapt to the new driving patterns quickly when I moved here.

Second, the roads ARE well maintained here. They just aren't designed well. This is purely my opinion. I think the interstates are well designed, but the local roads aren't. Most of the roads, at least in my area, are very unforgiving. They might have ten or eleven foot travel lanes, but if you mess up and drive over the white fog line you either hit grass, curb, or a ditch. Many of the places I have driven around the country has at least a couple feet of paved shoulder to compensate for a slight error. Here, if you drive off the pavement and don't know how to properly correct yourself, things can go bad fast.

Third, traffic enforcement is difficult. The primary traffic enforcement organization is the Highway Patrol. Do Sheriff's Offices and Police Departments work traffic? Of course, but it isn't their primary focus. And the further north you go in the state, the less likely they are to work traffic. Contrary to popular belief, the highway patrol does NOT just work interstates and state roads, especially outside of metropolitan areas. In my area the county Sheriff's office doesn't even respond to crashes. They just forward the call to FHP. In my district we have 14 people to work an average of 400 to 500 crashes per month. And at least 60% of those calls are on county or local roads. That leaves very little time for enforcement. A few years ago I did some unofficial research and found out the staffing for FHP was WAY below the national average. Despite being the third largest state in the union, the resident to trooper ratio was fourth from the bottom. Only Texas, Wisconsin, and Georgia had fewer troopers to residents. And they don't have the 80 million tourists to deal with.

Fourth, we have a combination of drivers that are in a big hurry and others that have no where to go. When I travel to a specific town I have to take a two lane road. It's about twelve miles long and there are only three passing zones the entire way. Inevitably, I always get behind someone going ten miles an hour under the speed limit. Then the people driving the speed limit get stuck behind them. It can get frustrating. But after a few miles and a line of cars stacked up behind the slow driver, someone makes the improper pass going well over the speed limit in a no passing zone. This is just one example.

It's a combination of slow drivers and fast drivers. It's a combination of old people and young people. It's a combination of residents and tourists. There isn't one single factor that is responsible for poor driving. We all need to take responsibility for our own actions and not blame it on someone else. It's the only way to do our part to keep our roadways a bit safer.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:10 AM

12,135 posts, read 13,259,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aewan68 View Post
Tip, don't quote dated info that does not apply to the current state of SoFla. 20 years ago is not current events.

It's not the same as other metro area, but you can keep telling yourself that if you like.
You are missing it. 20 years ago was when I stayed with my parents when they lived there. Its nothing like that today. However, Ive been going there frequently over the past several years so I am quite up to date on the current conditions.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:24 AM

2,182 posts, read 1,392,020 times
I had to drive up to Orlando and back on Thursday (from Fort Lauderdale). Plenty of bad drivers, and it was interesting that a majority of the bad drivers had out of state plates. I'm sick of hearing how bad the Florida drivers, are, it's not us. Apparently, nobody is taught in other States that slower traffic keeps right..

Old 04-25-2016, 11:09 AM

8,964 posts, read 6,268,491 times
Well most drivers are from out of state anyway. They just happen to have FL plates now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida