U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 06:42 AM

167 posts, read 113,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
I feel really bad for people who may be driving a bit slowly because of a sudden health issue or car problem, just desperately trying to get to the repair shop, a place to park, where ever. With all the road rage you could get killed for having a simple problem. You'll get lumped in with the other folks who are perceived as deliberately causing problems.

You can't even honk at your friends lets say at a traffic light anymore because someone will think you are honking at them and shoot you in the face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 08:14 AM

2,130 posts, read 1,369,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
That would be driving under the posted speed limit in the left lane. It's not illegal for a driver going at or over the posted speed limit in the left lane, just because you want to speed at well over that limit in the left lane, and you come up behind himand you figure he's in your way.

That said, it's never a good idea to hang out endlessly in the left lane, whether one is cruising at below or at the speed limit, a little above, or fancying the left lane to be his own personal Daytona 500 speedway.
This is what happens when you just make things up as you go along. You have no idea what you are talking about, obviously.

The Statute that makes it illegal to drive in the left lane has NOTHING to do with speed and doesn't mention speed limit, at all. It's very clear that regardless of speed, it's illegal to drive in the left lane unless overtaking. In fact, it mentions "normal speed of traffic" which has nothing to do with the posted speed limit. Maybe you should actually read the law before shooting from the hip.

"(3) On a road, street, or highway having two or more lanes allowing movement in the same direction, a driver may not continue to operate a motor vehicle in the furthermost left-hand lane if the driver knows or reasonably should know that he or she is being overtaken in that lane from the rear by a motor vehicle traveling at a higher rate of speed."

Old 04-27-2016, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upgrader View Post
If that happens, sadly, it will be another accident stalling traffic. Traffic accidents seem to happen every day between Tampa and Sarasota (I check that route as I round-trip it once a week).

You seem to be into shootings. Wayne LaPierre would love you. Email him. Tell him "the only way to stop a bad guy behind the wheel is by a good guy with a gun".

I like to think there are better ways to educate people on traffic flow.
Clearly you are looking for any opportunity to spout off about gun control. Blah blah.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
As for the left lane- one time I started out intending to stay in the right lane . Got into the left lane to pass a slow vehicle. Cars were very close together so I couldn't get back into the right lane and then the cars in the left lane behind me passed me on the right . It was so crazy I almost missed my right turnoff. I ended up having to act like a jerk just to get back into the right lane. No one is more important than anyone else on the road, but very few realize that.
You are just a bad driver.

"I couldn't get back over because cars were so close to each other" - but apparently there was enough space for cars to move into that lane and actually pass you.... weird, since the cars were so close to each other that you couldn't get over. Whoops. Seriously, you are a dangerous driver.

Old 04-27-2016, 10:13 AM

12,135 posts, read 13,221,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
He's an idiot. That's how shootings happen. He'll try it with the wrong person and karma will find him.
If the other car is going so slow and you pass and go on your merry way what's the problem? Grow a set and drive.

"Florida Drivers Handbook - Chapter 3 - Passing
Passing on the right is only legal when there are two or more lanes of traffic moving in the same direction or the vehicle you are passing is making a left turn. Pulling off the roadway to pass on the right is against the law."

"California Driver Handbook - Lane Control
You may pass on the right only when:

An open highway is clearly marked for two or more lanes of travel in your direction.
The driver ahead of you is turning left and you do not drive off the roadway to pass. Never pass on the left if the driver is signaling a left turn."

"2015 Minnesota Statutes
169.18 DRIVING RULES.

Passing on the right.

The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass upon the right of another vehicle only upon the following conditions:

(1) when the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left turn;

(2) upon a street or highway with unobstructed pavement not occupied by parked vehicles of sufficient width for two or more lines of moving vehicles in each direction;

(3) upon a one-way street, or upon any roadway on which traffic is restricted to one direction of movement, where the roadway is free from obstructions and of sufficient width for two or more lines of moving vehicles;

(4) when the driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass another vehicle upon the right only under conditions permitting such movement in safety. In no event shall such movement be made by driving in a bicycle lane or onto the shoulder, whether paved or unpaved, or off the pavement or main-traveled portion of the roadway."

Old 04-27-2016, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
If the other car is going so slow and you pass and go on your merry way what's the problem? Grow a set and drive.

"Florida Drivers Handbook - Chapter 3 - Passing
Passing on the right is only legal when there are two or more lanes of traffic moving in the same direction or the vehicle you are passing is making a left turn. Pulling off the roadway to pass on the right is against the law."

"California Driver Handbook - Lane Control
You may pass on the right only when:

An open highway is clearly marked for two or more lanes of travel in your direction.
The driver ahead of you is turning left and you do not drive off the roadway to pass. Never pass on the left if the driver is signaling a left turn."

"2015 Minnesota Statutes
169.18 DRIVING RULES.

Passing on the right.

The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass upon the right of another vehicle only upon the following conditions:

(1) when the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left turn;

(2) upon a street or highway with unobstructed pavement not occupied by parked vehicles of sufficient width for two or more lines of moving vehicles in each direction;

(3) upon a one-way street, or upon any roadway on which traffic is restricted to one direction of movement, where the roadway is free from obstructions and of sufficient width for two or more lines of moving vehicles;

(4) when the driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass another vehicle upon the right only under conditions permitting such movement in safety. In no event shall such movement be made by driving in a bicycle lane or onto the shoulder, whether paved or unpaved, or off the pavement or main-traveled portion of the roadway."
No idea what point you are making here.

Old 04-27-2016, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_Geek18 View Post
I've done that, and the last time I did it, he slowed down, so I passed on the right, then he started tailgating me and not letting me into the left lane to get around people in the middle and right lanes and forcing me to slow down. Then he'd speed way up and all of a sudden slow back down again. It stayed like that for a couple miles on I-95 in the Ormond Beach/Daytona area, so I got off and took US 92 back to DeLand instead of I-4 just incase he got on I-4. It's already a mess and I didn't want to deal with him there too.
So the "slow" left lane driver moved to the right and tailgated you which prevented you from moving left?

Old 04-27-2016, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
No idea what point you are making here.
If you read it you would see the rules of the road, uniformly, allow one to pass on the right.

Old 04-27-2016, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCTtoFL View Post
I wish that more drivers responded appropriately to that. Most of the time, I flash my lights and they either ignore me completely, drive even slower, or worse - slam on their brakes. And I am not a tailgater or someone who drives aggressively (at least not since I've had kids, lol). I don't like to pass someone on the right - not just because its illegal but because its potentially unsafe as well (I don't think drivers pay attention enough to be looking for someone passing them on the right). I don't understand what other drivers are thinking - here's a newsflash: If you're driving in the left lane and cars traveling in the RIGHT lane are passing you, you are driving too slow and should change lanes - its as simple as that, but yet so many drivers just don't get it
I agree that the left lane should be reserved for passing and that is illegal to be in the left line for a length of time whether you are at the speed limit or below it, but in the real world drivers do cruise in the left lane and the only viable option is to pass them and go along your way.

Old 04-27-2016, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I agree that the left lane should be reserved for passing and that is illegal to be in the left line for a length of time whether you are at the speed limit or below it, but in the real world drivers do cruise in the left lane and the only viable option is to pass them and go along your way.
Of course you pass on the right, when able. Of course it's legal. Nobody is even arguing otherwise. The point is that bad drivers are breaking the law by sitting in the left lane and disrupting traffic. We are talking about bad drivers. If your answer is just "move on" then why are you bothering to comment on a thread about bad drivers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida