U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-17-2016, 05:30 AM
 
893 posts, read 557,735 times
Reputation: 352

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
How long have you lived in Florida?
If driving in Florida (and remember, they live in SoFla!!) was as horrendous as you claim, they'd notice it right away. Not after years and years of living there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-17-2016, 05:53 AM
 
4,349 posts, read 6,067,210 times
Reputation: 10458
Bad drivers on vacation with their heads up their butts. Everyone drives like they're entitled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2016, 08:55 AM
 
Location: FLORIDA
8,964 posts, read 6,278,951 times
Reputation: 3380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
If driving in Florida (and remember, they live in SoFla!!) was as horrendous as you claim, they'd notice it right away. Not after years and years of living there.
It is horrendous. I don't need CTtoFLs approval. I'm sure PDF would agree, someone that's been here, what 6 months, still has the rose colored glasses on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2016, 09:24 AM
PDF
 
11,386 posts, read 10,537,353 times
Reputation: 6606
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
It is horrendous. I don't need CTtoFLs approval. I'm sure PDF would agree, someone that's been here, what 6 months, still has the rose colored glasses on.
Pretty much. You have one or two outliers saying it's not bad, but the majority would agree that it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2016, 10:05 AM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 13,272,176 times
Reputation: 6010
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Pretty much. You have one or two outliers saying it's not bad, but the majority would agree that it is.
"Bad" compared to what? NYC, Houston, LA, Chicago? or Madison Wisconsin? Believe it or not, every large U.S. city has traffic problems and along with that comes a percentage of drivers who loose their patience in traffic or are inept for the conditions. Does it mean they are "bad drivers" or is it more of the "rats in a cage" supposition which I have referred to before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2016, 10:17 AM
 
Location: North County San Diego Area
786 posts, read 497,258 times
Reputation: 724
SoFla is quite bad for driving, you have a mix of seniors and people from Caribbean countries where rules of the road and proper driving skills are not required. Then you have to figure in the people who are very aggressive short fused, which in SoFla there is plenty of. Turn signals, never used, I need to go right but I'm in the far left lane, let me cut across 4 lanes of traffic and then come to a complete stop and turn into a strip mall. People driving down the wrong way on 95, pulling into a strip mall and then driving through store fronts. Tailgating, weaving in and out of traffic. Horn blowing as soon as the light turns green.

I use to commute 30 miles one way to Boca, it took me 45 minutes to an hour depending on what time of the year it was. Though the traffic flowed it was heavy and on top of it I had to deal with a plethora of landscaping trucks that would drive in the fastlane at 45 mph and cause jams further irritating the impatient group of drivers. With the wealth there, you would almost always experience a yuppie or graying around the ears type driving a BMW or other expensive car with a cocky and narcissistic style. Then toss in the motorcycle riders, rice boys and etc.

My wife and I lived in SoFla and FL a combined 30 years, it got progressively worse each year. It explains why car insurance is so expensive, % of uninsured motorists on the roads and etc. My car insurance with Geico went up each year the past 5 years I lived there. When I asked Geico why they gave me a round of answers, much of what I said also stated that there is a high degree of drivers who do not use their turn signals, of course fraud was a big one.

I moved to the San Diego Area several months ago and my car insurance went from $150/month to $40/month, same exact coverage and same car. I commute 10 minutes to work, people here are much better drivers, I have not had any road rage incidents, fingers or horn blowing incidents, sure it happens but when I was in SoFla it was a daily ordeal. I had several road rage incidents for minding my own business, people almost ran into me or ran me off the road and while I miss some aspects of SoFla I don't miss some of the people and the driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2016, 10:23 AM
 
17,004 posts, read 20,709,146 times
Reputation: 33994
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Sounds like anyplace USA.
Not even close. Have never seen anything like FL. Bad mix of poorly trained young drivers in their 98 Honda Civic who think they're NASCAR drivers and elderly people who renew their license at 80 and they're good to go till 88.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2016, 10:28 AM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 13,272,176 times
Reputation: 6010
Quote:
Originally Posted by aewan68 View Post
SoFla is quite bad for driving, you have a mix of seniors and people from Caribbean countries where rules of the road and proper driving skills are not required. Then you have to figure in the people who are very aggressive short fused, which in SoFla there is plenty of. Turn signals, never used, I need to go right but I'm in the far left lane, let me cut across 4 lanes of traffic and then come to a complete stop and turn into a strip mall. People driving down the wrong way on 95, pulling into a strip mall and then driving through store fronts. Tailgating, weaving in and out of traffic. Horn blowing as soon as the light turns green.

I use to commute 30 miles one way to Boca, it took me 45 minutes to an hour depending on what time of the year it was. Though the traffic flowed it was heavy and on top of it I had to deal with a plethora of landscaping trucks that would drive in the fastlane at 45 mph and cause jams further irritating the impatient group of drivers. With the wealth there, you would almost always experience a yuppie or graying around the ears type driving a BMW or other expensive car with a cocky and narcissistic style. Then toss in the motorcycle riders, rice boys and etc.

My wife and I lived in SoFla and FL a combined 30 years, it got progressively worse each year. It explains why car insurance is so expensive, % of uninsured motorists on the roads and etc. My car insurance with Geico went up each year the past 5 years I lived there. When I asked Geico why they gave me a round of answers, much of what I said also stated that there is a high degree of drivers who do not use their turn signals, of course fraud was a big one.

I moved to the San Diego Area and my car insurance went from $150/month to $40/month, same exact coverage and same car. I commute 10 minutes to work, people here are much better drivers, I have not had any road rage incidents, fingers or horn blowing incidents, sure it happens but when I was in SoFla it was a daily ordeal. I had several road rage incidents for minding my own business, people almost ran into me or ran me off the road and while I miss some aspects of SoFla I don't miss some of the people and the driving.
Save me the time and Google "San Diego road rage" and take a read on the dozens of related incidents.

Perhaps during your 20 minutes on the road each day you are oblivious to what happens there.

http://my.xfinity.com/slideshow/news...essivedrivers/

Last edited by Spring Hillian; 04-17-2016 at 10:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2016, 10:36 AM
 
Location: South Florida
4,822 posts, read 5,382,991 times
Reputation: 4874
Quote:
Originally Posted by aewan68 View Post
SoFla is quite bad for driving, you have a mix of seniors and people from Caribbean countries where rules of the road and proper driving skills are not required. Then you have to figure in the people who are very aggressive short fused, which in SoFla there is plenty of. Turn signals, never used, I need to go right but I'm in the far left lane, let me cut across 4 lanes of traffic and then come to a complete stop and turn into a strip mall. People driving down the wrong way on 95, pulling into a strip mall and then driving through store fronts. Tailgating, weaving in and out of traffic. Horn blowing as soon as the light turns green.

deal with a plethora of landscaping trucks that would drive in the fastlane at 45 mph and cause jams further irritating the impatient group of drivers. With the wealth there, you would almost always experience a yuppie or graying around the ears type driving a BMW or other expensive car with a cocky and narcissistic style. Then toss in the motorcycle riders, rice boys and etc.
Let's not forget the drunk and drugged up drivers.

Last edited by cfbs2691; 04-17-2016 at 10:36 AM.. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2016, 10:36 AM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 13,272,176 times
Reputation: 6010
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Not even close. Have never seen anything like FL. Bad mix of poorly trained young drivers in their 98 Honda Civic who think they're NASCAR drivers and elderly people who renew their license at 80 and they're good to go till 88.
Of course CA does not have the same cross section population.

15 cities with the worst drivers
Rank City Average no. of years between accidents
1 Worcester, MA 4.3
2 Boston 4.4
3 Washington 5.1
4 Springfield, MA 5.4
5 Providence, RI 5.4
6 Baltimore 5.4
7 Glendale, CA 5.8
8 Alexandria, VA 5.9
9 Philadelphia 6.2
10 New Haven, CT 6.3
11 San Francisco 6.4
12 Hialeah, FL 6.5
13 Los Angeles 6.5
14 Pittsburgh 6.6
15 Miami 6.7

Read more: http://www.bankrate.com/financing/in...#ixzz466RMFmjl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top