U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 11:28 AM

2,523 posts, read 1,808,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeriously View Post
In 2005 we moved to Florida because of the weather. In 2010 we moved out of Florida because of the weather.
Up north people are pretty much housebound 3 months in the winter due to cold. Down here it's pretty much 3 months in the summer due to heat and humidity. Take your pick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 07:01 AM

9,013 posts, read 8,292,809 times
Quote:
In 2005 we moved to Florida because of the weather. In 2010 we moved out of Florida because of the weather.
Lol i can see that....
The Winters are the only time
I'd be there.....
No way would I want to do
summertime out there
I have a cousin in Sarasota,
As well as clients already in Naples.....
So I'd be doing the Snowbird thing as well.

Probably start this year in Florida.
Next winter in Vegas.
After that winter in Phoenix.....
I want to compare who's got the best winters
I'll make good $$ wherever I go....

Old 04-18-2016, 07:36 AM

167 posts, read 113,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
Up north people are pretty much housebound 3 months in the winter due to cold. Down here it's pretty much 3 months in the summer due to heat and humidity. Take your pick

Thats not true, especially in the northeast it snows maybe 1 or 2 times a season so bad that you cant leave your house but there are plenty people that enjoy the winters, its the cowards that run away because they cant handle the weather.

Old 04-18-2016, 12:19 PM

103 posts, read 164,434 times
I can add my experience with the schools. I am a Florida native and did attend private schools. My kids were born in CT and started school up there. We decided to move back to Florida in 2013. My kids were then going into 5th & 7th grades. We did our research before deciding where to settle. We were somewhat limited because we did want to be near family, etc....We chose a county that had very good school ratings (higher than the CT schools my kids were attending) and we've been thrilled with their education so far. And they do go to public schools. We even realized that our first year here, my 7th grader was learning the exact same thing in a certain class that her 8th grade cousin was learning at a magnet school in CT. That made us feel even better! My kids are now in 7th & 9th, both on honor roll & taking advanced classes. Just like anywhere else, you just have to do your research as some places are better than others.
On another note, we couldn't wait to escape the winters. In addition to the snow, ice and gray weather, I felt like I could never get warm enough. And missed the sunshine. Yes, it is hot down here for a longer length of time, but everywhere is air-conditioned, we have a pool and we live near crystal clear springs where we can swim or kayak. And nothing beats the sunset over the Gulf of Mexico.
Florida is not for everyone and everyone deserves to be happy & content where they live. Think hard & do your homework before you decide.
Good luck!

Old 04-18-2016, 12:48 PM

499 posts, read 413,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellygirl925 View Post
I can add my experience with the schools. I am a Florida native and did attend private schools. My kids were born in CT and started school up there. We decided to move back to Florida in 2013. My kids were then going into 5th & 7th grades. We did our research before deciding where to settle. We were somewhat limited because we did want to be near family, etc....We chose a county that had very good school ratings (higher than the CT schools my kids were attending) and we've been thrilled with their education so far. And they do go to public schools. We even realized that our first year here, my 7th grader was learning the exact same thing in a certain class that her 8th grade cousin was learning at a magnet school in CT. That made us feel even better! My kids are now in 7th & 9th, both on honor roll & taking advanced classes. Just like anywhere else, you just have to do your research as some places are better than others.
On another note, we couldn't wait to escape the winters. In addition to the snow, ice and gray weather, I felt like I could never get warm enough. And missed the sunshine. Yes, it is hot down here for a longer length of time, but everywhere is air-conditioned, we have a pool and we live near crystal clear springs where we can swim or kayak. And nothing beats the sunset over the Gulf of Mexico.
Florida is not for everyone and everyone deserves to be happy & content where they live. Think hard & do your homework before you decide.
Good luck!
Thank you! This is one of my biggest concerns for my daughter. (We left CT for FL last year when she was 2). Your post just made me feel a whole lot better!

Old 04-19-2016, 11:28 AM

103 posts, read 164,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCTtoFL View Post
Thank you! This is one of my biggest concerns for my daughter. (We left CT for FL last year when she was 2). Your post just made me feel a whole lot better!
Good, glad I made you feel better! It was a concern to us as well because you hear so many negative comments. Just research as much as you can before she starts school. I still don't like all of the standardized testing but what can you do.........

Old 04-20-2016, 01:27 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,782,303 times
Quote:
Cape Cod but we snowbird to FL.
I miss the Cape! Many fond memories there.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:58 AM

34,272 posts, read 41,320,656 times
He wants to move here only because of the weather and beaches

What happens when the novelty of the beaches wears off and the realty of hot and humid weather becomes apparent?
Personally i find i can dress for anything winter throws my way,not so with heat and humidity.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:24 AM

882 posts, read 1,923,801 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Very common!
Yes, this is very common. I was the hubby who said move down to FL so we can do all this outdoorsy stuff as well, that lasted about two years and in the fifth year of our residency we hardly went to the beach of gone fishing. FL is a great place to vacation and snowbird, but if you don't use what FL has to offer, and it sounds you already have that mindset, I wouldn't not do the move because you'll be very unhappy and it'll affect your marriage. But then again, if you're open to giving it a try a few years, at least you'll find out for yourselves instead of speculating then you'll end up like some of us return Midwestern residents.

Old 04-22-2016, 11:16 AM

22,795 posts, read 19,238,204 times
Quote:
Cape Cod but we snowbird to FL.
How I would love to return home and be able to afford doing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
I pick being inside because of heat. You don't shovel sunshine.

To the person who called those who move south because of weather, cowards, growing older and/or not having a mate to help with the burden of shoveling sometimes feet, not inches of snow, is not being a coward in many cases. It's being fortunate to be able to get down here. Only those who REALLY, REALLY enjoy snow and the activities that it affords, never dream of flying south with the geese!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or