Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2016, 02:05 PM

16 posts, read 11,410 times

Advertisements

Hey!
I have a friend who lives in Florida Fort Lauderdale and wanted to give him hope and to get some resources for him. He works at a Japanese Sushi restaurant. Is this a cultural thing? He's experiencing a lot of abuses at work in the restaurant he works in. His boss who is a male would assault and sometimes "hit" with a light tap on his head as well as make gestures that would threaten to hit him as well as say things like "you better be careful not to **** me off" like an abuse for no reason according to him. He informed me that he's not really experienced in the industry at the same time he relies on this job to make it by until he finds another job.

I'm really sad for him because he's going through a lot. He attends counseling now because he was involved in some religious political stuff and they wrote a lot of things in the Internet about him when he decided to switch sides and they are things that according to him aren't true. he has lost support from his family, communities and religion because of his liberal views.

According to him, he's at the mercy of his supervisors at work and he has to do hazing things like they would at a fraternity of cleaning the floor like three times a day, scrubbing the walls and other mindless tasks just to put him in his place and he gets paid $3/Hr when he's assigned to serve tables. He would always happen to be involved with people who try to get him to do things for them and if he doesn't, they always try and break off his relationships with the restaurant by making his coworkers dislike him. "If they can't control you, they control how others perceive you."

I told him to leave the work and start a different job. He said that he couldn't because of the online things posted against him as well as this is the only job he has. I wanted to tell him that if they are treating you that way, that his boss and supervisors don't like him and will fire him anyway if they find his replacement. But I didn't want to say this because I don't think he can handle it.

How would you advice him? Looks like he's falling into the low end and would like him to get hope and support he needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2016, 02:06 PM

30,389 posts, read 21,210,559 times
Time to sue.

Old 04-16-2016, 02:32 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,118,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Time to sue.
For what?

Old 04-16-2016, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
For what?
There are laws for the work force.

Old 04-16-2016, 03:05 PM

First off, he probably needs a new occupation. Let them fire him so he can apply for unemployment benefits.

The minimum wage for tipped employees is $5.03 an hour. That means that, as long as a server earns at least $3.02 per hour in tips, the employer can pay $5.03 per hour. However, if tips drop below that rate by the end of the shift, the employer must make up the difference. For example, say that a server earns an average of $2.02 in tips per hour during a shift. To compensate the employuee the employer must pay $6.03 per hour for that shift. Anything besides that is against wage and hour laws. Contact the Department of Labor.

Assault is a criminal offense. Contact the local law enforcement agency. Under Florida Statute 784.011, the crime of Assault is committed when a person 1. Makes an intentional and unlawful threat - by word or act - to commit violence against another person 2. With the apparent ability to carry through with the threat at the time it was made and the threat created a genuine fear in the intended victim that the violence was imminent. Under Florida Statute 784.03, the crime of misdemeanor battery is committed when a person either intentionally touches or strikes another person against their will or intentionally causes bodily harm to another person. A battery can occur from something minor such as grabbing another person's arm or by throwing something that strikes another person. When it comes to touching or striking a person there is no requirement that the person be injured as the non-consensual contact is sufficient to have battery occur.

Having liberal views is fine, but having people argue against your views is part of democracy. Libel, slander and defamation of character on the other hand are another thing. In Florida, "defamation" is a false statement of fact communicated to a third party which is meant to hurt the plaintiff’s reputation or economic well being. In FL the legally accepted elements of defamation are publication, falsity, actor must act negligently on a matter concerning a private person, the statements must be defamatory. Where the statement was said or written can be in a wide variety of places. Statements made in most forms of communication including blogs, websites, forums, e-mails are considered to be portals used to defame another. Defamation that is written is called libel. On the internet a statement that “defames” or harms someone’s reputation can be considered to be defamation. A lawyer should be consulted as there are many laws both federal and state involved and there are certain steps that must be taken to file a civil suit for libel.

Good luck to your friend.

((the above information is not legal advice and I am not an attorney))

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyriatraveler View Post
Hey!
I have a friend who lives in Florida Fort Lauderdale and wanted to give him hope and to get some resources for him. He works at a Japanese Sushi restaurant. Is this a cultural thing? He's experiencing a lot of abuses at work in the restaurant he works in. His boss who is a male would assault and sometimes "hit" with a light tap on his head as well as make gestures that would threaten to hit him as well as say things like "you better be careful not to **** me off" like an abuse for no reason according to him. He informed me that he's not really experienced in the industry at the same time he relies on this job to make it by until he finds another job.

I'm really sad for him because he's going through a lot. He attends counseling now because he was involved in some religious political stuff and they wrote a lot of things in the Internet about him when he decided to switch sides and they are things that according to him aren't true. he has lost support from his family, communities and religion because of his liberal views.

According to him, he's at the mercy of his supervisors at work and he has to do hazing things like they would at a fraternity of cleaning the floor like three times a day, scrubbing the walls and other mindless tasks just to put him in his place and he gets paid $3/Hr when he's assigned to serve tables. He would always happen to be involved with people who try to get him to do things for them and if he doesn't, they always try and break off his relationships with the restaurant by making his coworkers dislike him. "If they can't control you, they control how others perceive you."
I told him to leave the work and start a different job. He said that he couldn't because of the online things posted against him as well as this is the only job he has. I wanted to tell him that if they are treating you that way, that his boss and supervisors don't like him and will fire him anyway if they find his replacement. But I didn't want to say this because I don't think he can handle it.

How would you advice him? Looks like he's falling into the low end and would like him to get hope and support he needs.

Old 04-16-2016, 03:07 PM

Quote:
There are laws for the work force.
More or less, yes. Minimum wage laws are a question here as are criminal acts of assault, battery, defamation but those are criminal charges. It all has to be proven before any lawsuits get filed.

Old 04-16-2016, 04:30 PM

A boss can't be putting his or her hands on the workers under them for starters.

Old 04-16-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:
A boss can't be putting his or her hands on the workers under them for starters.

Hands = battery

Old 04-17-2016, 05:25 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,630,765 times
The sushi guy is mean to my friend at work.... and people write things on the internet....

Oh my. This is hopeless. GO GET ANOTHER JOB. He's scrubbing pee off a restaurant floor, he can be working tomorrow somewhere else doing the same thing. If he says "I can't" - then move on, it's hopeless.

Old 04-18-2016, 01:02 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,339,799 times
Anyone who has worked in a restaurant kitchen understands that some crazy stuff happens in there! Usually lots of stressful hollering when things get busy and mistakes get made, and there's often a Nazi chef. I myself had to take a big chef's knife and keep it my my dishwasher just to send a message! Kitchens are usually chaos, and not the happy "cooking with love" scene that some people think they are. Actually, if most people knew what went on in most kitchens, they would eat at home! This little episode below is not far from the truth.

http://putlocker.is/watch-fawlty-tow...putlocker.html

Last edited by smarino; 04-18-2016 at 01:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: