Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2010, 08:44 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,241,493 times

Advertisements

If it takes me 2 years of slick wording the bashing of Florida and not once have said I would like to move to Florida or say a single important thing positive it pretty much tells me you wont like Florida Coach.

I have done my research, you have done yours but you still post nothing but nicely worded negatives.

If you have read my posting you will also see that I tell people to research, research and research. And spend TIME in the place of your choice before moving.

You quoted me when asking to how to convince your wife.

You have been posting about Florida for 2 years and from what I have read you show to ME, no signs that you really want to move to Florida at all.

Let me help you.

You wont like Florida and if you have to convince your wife, then you need to stay in Pa because she has already made up her mind that she does not like it. Especially if she needs to be convinced by you.

You really need to stay in Pa, Florida has nothing to offer you or you would have found it by now.

Like I said, Florida is NOT for everyone.

Just to let you know, the COL in the town of my choice would save me a ton of money a year and I get to be outside year around, be in shorts and flip flops, go scuba diving, swim in my pool, go surfing, go to Disney or Busch, enjoy tons of nature around me. All for LESS money!!!

Florida is not for the non active person.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
When did you live here full time and for how long?
I know you are sour about Florida because you are the owner of bash Florida threads. I know you like many others around the country have lost their jobs and do not know what to do. But let me fill you in, it is NO better anywhere else either.

I feel bad for you and tons of others who have felt the current economy caused them problems. And I do not think it will get any better anytime soon with the massive silly spending we are doing.
I know you are trying to find a way to bash Florida because of your issues but please do not blame Florida for the problems.
It is not the state of Florida's the people of Florida's fault.

The way I look at it is if you do not like it move so there is more room for those who want to be there.

Instead of sitting here bashing Florida like so many do, I would be trying something different so I could make it in Florida.

If Florida was as bad as many of you make it out you would not see many people living there. It would look like a deserted island and it does not.

Success stories of those who like and love are all over the place.

The Florida bashers have chased off some pretty good posters in this forum with their constant complaining.

Ken, how about asking Coach how he can spend 2 years bashing Florida with slick wording and has not been to Florida much, if at all.

RESEARCH AND TIME SPENT IS THE KEY.

FLORIDA IS NOT FOR EVERYONE.

If you move to Florida and fail, it is your fault, no one else's.

If you move to Florida and do well, you get the credit for a job well done and get to post your success story like so many have.

If you are a negative type person who hates Florida before you even get there then you need to stay where you are.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:57 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,219,214 times
Those beautiful postcards and Disney commercials will do it every time. Especially in the winter months.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:19 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,723,341 times
Then what are we to do if we have been here for 16 years, liked it at first, did well here, then grew to not like it, throw in the way the state took a dive, and how I just cannot deal with the heat and humidity anymore? I only stayed here because of a job, or I would have been long gone.

I started this thread believe it or not, but after returning from a short lived stint in MA, I wish I could have stayed up there. Things have just gotten stale here for me. And i cannot take the heat anymore, I have to put up with t for 1 more summer, yahoo....

Old 03-28-2010, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
Then what are we to do if we have been here for 16 years, liked it at first, did well here, then grew to not like it, throw in the way the state took a dive, and how I just cannot deal with the heat and humidity anymore? I only stayed here because of a job, or I would have been long gone.

I started this thread believe it or not, but after returning from a short lived stint in MA, I wish I could have stayed up there. Things have just gotten stale here for me. And i cannot take the heat anymore, I have to put up with t for 1 more summer, yahoo....
Chris you are the perfect example of why I always say that Florida is not for everyone.

I truly hope you get to go wherever you want to go. There is nothing worse then being some place that you do not want to be.

We want to come to Florida as bad as you want to leave it, so we know the feeling.

Good luck to you.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:21 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,283,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post

I can now recall that you've gone Florida, Mass, Florida, Mass..... ten bucks says you'll be back, lol.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:37 AM

210 posts, read 662,085 times
I miss the weather, I miss the shrimp boats, I miss boiled peanuts and indian river fruit stands, I miss the rolling hills around Marianna, Tallahassee, Gainsville and Ocala, I miss crossing the Suwannee River, chasing ghost crabs on the beach at St. George Island, sunsets on the Gulf of Mexico, fishing the tidal creeks, lakes and rivers, I miss the Mangroves, I miss the Australian pines on beaches like Anna Maria Island, I miss Pink Shrimp Boils and cheese grits, I miss the salt air and the century old live oaks shrouded in moss, I miss seeing old plantation houses along highway 90, I miss Keylime pie and the kind of deviled crabs you can only get in Tampa, I miss the blackwater rivers that snake all the way out into the gulf, I miss the palmettos, I miss looking out the window at miles of orange groves rising from sandy hills, I miss the intense pride of small towns and rural places, I miss the humidity, I miss the old Florida families holding tightly to their Southern traditions no matter how many newcomers outnumber them, I miss the pine forests and swamp lands, throwin bread crumbs to alligators off old wobbly docks in Odessa.............I miss the sun.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:58 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,723,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I can now recall that you've gone Florida, Mass, Florida, Mass..... ten bucks says you'll be back, lol.
Yeah, but the last time I came back I was offered a job here by a friend so I came back, but it was not so willingly.... Believe me. A job was first and foremost before comfort. Plus the house I rented up there was a winter nightmare(built in 1793) I dreaded coming back to the heat. I never say never, I'll be back when I am 75 and too old to deal with winter. So I have 35 years to go.

I can't wait to get up there so I can go cycling and not be run over... Cycling here is a different world. Hiking, yeah down here it isn't hiking, it's walking...

Old 03-29-2010, 08:06 AM

17,454 posts, read 38,838,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeFloridan View Post
I miss the weather, I miss the shrimp boats, I miss boiled peanuts and indian river fruit stands, I miss the rolling hills around Marianna, Tallahassee, Gainsville and Ocala, I miss crossing the Suwannee River, chasing ghost crabs on the beach at St. George Island, sunsets on the Gulf of Mexico, fishing the tidal creeks, lakes and rivers, I miss the Mangroves, I miss the Australian pines on beaches like Anna Maria Island, I miss Pink Shrimp Boils and cheese grits, I miss the salt air and the century old live oaks shrouded in moss, I miss seeing old plantation houses along highway 90, I miss Keylime pie and the kind of deviled crabs you can only get in Tampa, I miss the blackwater rivers that snake all the way out into the gulf, I miss the palmettos, I miss looking out the window at miles of orange groves rising from sandy hills, I miss the intense pride of small towns and rural places, I miss the humidity, I miss the old Florida families holding tightly to their Southern traditions no matter how many newcomers outnumber them, I miss the pine forests and swamp lands, throwin bread crumbs to alligators off old wobbly docks in Odessa.............I miss the sun.
Those are all things I also love about my home state. Where are you now, and why did you ever leave? I know Florida isn't for everyone, but for some of us, it gets in our blood and it is impossible to leave.

This state is precious to me, so I hope everyone who doesn't like it here will be able to leave and find their utopia. I could do with less population. I really don't want anymore new developments and paving. I am a wildlife lover. That is one of the bright sides of the downturn in the economy to me, i.e. that they quit building those sprawling developments (filled with Chinese drywall I might add).

Anyway, we considered relocating or retiring to NC in a few years and had even bought a little home there for vacations, but after 3 years of visits, as nice as it is, we knew we could never, ever move there, it would NEVER feel like "home." I was missing Florida before ever moving. So we sold that house and relocated instead to Manatee County (from Polk County) and have never looked back. I am much more of a "salty air" flatland type than the mountain type.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:09 AM

371 posts, read 1,185,656 times
Chris, see that's the beauty of the situation, you are not happy and you are doing something about it. I applaud anyone that knows when it's time to 'cut bait and go home'.

I know that Florida will not be our forever home. I just dont see it as being conducive to our 'old age needs'. Especially when we aren't able to be active anymore. But we sure are going to enjoy what it has to offer while we are still 'young' and our children are young. When it's time to move on, we'll know it and plan accordingly. If we can only take a few years of it before it gets old, then so be it, we'll move on to our next adventure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida