Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 11:55 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times

Advertisements

I am so glad FL is just not right for some people. It is getting to crowded already. Vast acreages of wildlife habitat turned into golf courses and concrete jungles as it is. Farm lands being destroyed every day with more asphalt and concrete....All in the name of progress....I miss the old FL I grew up in.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:14 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
NOTE:

You no longer live in Florida and are posting how foolish people in Florida are in the NJ forum which is wrong!
Yeah but you only lived in Florida 27 years ago as a college kid, right? I don't understand why there's such hostility to people with different likes and dislikes.

So I think it's fair that someone who lived here as recently as a couple of months ago posts their opinions just like you get to do after 27 years.

We all have different likes and dislikes. I grew up on the NJ shore in Longport right on the beautiful bay on Sunset Avenue. We had a large house that we rented out apartments in in the summer with a dock, boats and peace and quiet. We went to the boardwalk as much as our parents would allow, it was only a few blocks away. My father even worked on the Steel Pier as a piano player. The NJ shore is a lifestyle. And one that Florida missed out on, frankly by keeping tourism confined to just Disney.

People from all over the midAtlantic rent summer homes in NJ and every kid that has ever been there LOVES the honky tonk as well as diverse other communities with a more laid back boardwalk and we all love the beauty of the ocean, bays, beaches and boating. So for you to criticize it and say you have the same thing Ohio is odd. Ohio is landlocked if I'm not mistaken.

It wouldn't have hurt to have had a couple of boardwalk attractions here instead of just beaches, albeit they'd have to be small given the small size of the communities and the fact that all the beach front was given up to HOUSES and CONDOS.

The NJ shore and boardwalk(S) are famous, fun, exciting and popular. The NJ shore runs the length of the state and every town has a different vibe.

If you think Ocean City is trash you must really hate Wildwood and I love them both. Cape May is a famous destination town on the shore, too, with activities all year round like other shore towns.

There's no reason to trash what other people like, in my opinion. I miss NJ too that doesn't mean I'm a "Florida HATER" for goodness sakes.

I even miss FLORIDA while living here
. The Florida that I knew from the 1960's up until now. Thank goodness Vero Beach, Tequesta and another couple of towns around here are similar.

By the way, tourists and TRUE locals go to the NJ beach and boardwalk all year round. Yes many seasonal businesses close but there are still attractions. Swimming isn't the only thing you do when you live there so you saying it's only 3 months a year is innacurate. The ocean doesn't go away lol.

Old 04-26-2009, 02:02 PM

9 posts, read 38,495 times
LOL, you gonna PAY to get onto Jersey beach, and on top of that, they beaches SUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Many are saying they miss the beach. But when I was living in Florida the only beaches that appealed to me were South Beach and Fort Lauderdale Beach. I really missed the boardwalks of the Jersey shore and the high energy enviroment of it.

Old 04-26-2009, 03:07 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
Default When I lived on LI

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSMaronica View Post
LOL, you gonna PAY to get onto Jersey beach, and on top of that, they beaches SUCK
we had PRIVATE Town beaches where you couldn't pay any amount of money to go there. You had LIVE in that town to go to those beaches. I went maybe 5 times in 20 years.

Who the hell cares about BEACHES? I didn't there and don't give a damn in FLOREDUH either.

That is ALL Florida has stupid BEACHES.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:01 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,301,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretlady4719 View Post
Oh my goodness, yes - I miss it terribly!!!

I grew up in central FL (outskirts of Orlando). Of course, back in the 60's and even early 70's, Orlando was a totally different place than it is now. It was an entirely different world then, I really miss the way things were then. But even with all the changes, I still love Florida, and it will forever be "home" to me. I lived in various places around central FL, lived in St Pete for some time, down in Naples for a few years, then back in Orlando for a while again. We would have preferred staying in Naples, but a job change made us move back to Orlando. That was fine, as long as we were in FL. I wouldn't want to live in Orlando again now- but I miss Florida so bad, it hurts.

We had to move up here to northern Alabama a few years ago for a variety of reasons & we've both been utterly miserable since. Hubby is from this area, and busted his butt to get out of here to begin with - now we're stuck in this hell-hole again. I HATE the cold weather!!! It might not be as bad as northern cold, but it still does get quite cold here & stays cold. This last winter was especially bad - we both felt like we were prisoners in our own home - we couldn't go outside at all unless we wanted to get chilled to the bone. I hate the "southern" culture that is prevalent here, and it is so much more expensive here. Housing itself is cheaper, but OMG, everything else is so much higher. Food, gas, taxes, utilities - all the day-to-day living expenses are SOOO much higher here than in any location in FL we ever lived.

I MISS the hot weather! I miss the beaches & ocean so much. I wasn't into sunbathing or just sitting/laying around in one spot, but I loved to just stroll along the beach for miles or swim in the ocean for hours & hours on end. I LIKE the feel of sand between my toes and the smell of the saltwater, I love watching the pelicans & dolphins, finding shells, watching the sandpipers scurry about, and so forth. I miss water, water, everywhere! I hate being land-locked with no significant body of water close by, other than one grungy dirty river.

I miss a "tropical" sunny Christmas, and wearing shorts in December, and being able to be outside any time of year without piling on multiple layers of clothing. I don't even like to wear long sleeves, much less several thicknesses of clothing. Let me sit around in a tank top, shorts & flip-flops in January, and I'm happy as a clam!! I miss my friends who are still in Florida. I miss so much about living in Florida! I miss seeing shuttle launches up close & feeling the ground rumble under your feet during blast-off. I miss airboat rides through the swamps. I miss seeing gators!! And sandhill cranes & cattle egrets.

Thankfully, hubby feels the same way I do & wants to get back to Florida just as badly as I do. We finally decided enough is enough - we would do WHATEVER it took, in order to get back to Florida. We're going to sell our home here, knowing that we will have to take a big loss on it in order to sell it quickly, we're selling all our possessions in order to make moving as simple as possible, and we're packing what few things will fit in the van & we're COMING HOME!!!! It is worth it to us to lose money on the house, and lose material belongings, just to be back HOME where we belong!

Gawd, I start crying every time I think about getting back there - for a while now, it had seemed impossible - but now there's a light at the end of the tunnel with a glimmer of hope.

It will probably take a few months before we can make it - we're hoping by late summer. I'm not counting the days, I'm counting the *hours*!!! After 3 long depressing miserable years, I'm finally going back home!!!! Wish us luck getting rid of our house here just as quickly as possible!
I wish you all the luck in the world so you can get back to paradise.
I would take a loss myself to be living in Florida get to get to have a life without the cold grey skies for 9 months.

Hang in there, you will be in Florida before you know it!!

Old 04-26-2009, 04:07 PM

Default My husband is on a business trip in NY today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
I wish you all the luck in the world so you can get back to paradise.
I would take a loss myself to be living in Florida get to get to have a life without the cold grey skies for 9 months.

Hang in there, you will be in Florida before you know it!!
It is actually HOTTER today in NY than it is in Floreduh. 9 MONTHS OF WINTER? Do the MATH. It's APRIL. Hello?

The North doesn't have NINE MONTHS of WINTER. Is 85 degrees winter? Cause that is what it is today.

Some people are totally CLUELESS.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:12 PM

So you got private beaches aint nobody can use, or pay 7 bucks to get on crowed public beach. Either way SUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
we had PRIVATE Town beaches where you couldn't pay any amount of money to go there. You had LIVE in that town to go to those beaches. I went maybe 5 times in 20 years.

Who the hell cares about BEACHES? I didn't there and don't give a damn in FLOREDUH either.

That is ALL Florida has stupid BEACHES.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:14 PM

Default I could use them

Quote:
So you got private beaches aint nobody can use, or pay 7 bucks to get on crowed public beach. Either way SUCK
Anybody who LIVED there could use them. Keeps the YOU KNOW WHAT OUT.

Incidentially, in Naples, FLORIDA, unless you live here and have a town beach sticker you will have to PAY to park in a municipal lot.

Enjoy.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:15 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Quote:
Did you ever even live in NJ?

PLENTY OF BEACHES are free with no beach tag required. Go THERE. kids are free too.

You can also pay around 25.00 for the entire season. If it's a hardship and the beaches are ugly that eliminates a whole bunch of people anyway. No problem.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 04-26-2009 at 04:24 PM..

Old 04-26-2009, 04:27 PM

at South Beach my girl and me drink and smoke up right on the beach, look at HOT ppl all day, why go to jersey, to look at someones fat butt and deal with shore cops, boring beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Did you ever even live in NJ?

PLENTY OF BEACHES are free with no beach tag required. Go THERE. kids are free too.

You can also pay around 25.00 for the entire season. If it's a hardship and the beaches are ugly that eliminates a whole bunch of people anyway. No problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida