U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2016, 08:07 PM

2,498 posts, read 1,424,447 times

Advertisements

If you pay cash for the house, live in an area North of Palm Beach County and buy a home that is 2002 and newer the cost to live in FL isn't so bad. Just keep the HOA's and taxes under control which you can do by not over buying your home and shopping the communities as they are certainly not all created equal.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 04:59 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,196,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
But it ain't hell on Earth.If it was,all those people who move here for the weather would ship out within a few months.And most of then don't.
A significant number (hundreds of thousands?) ship out of here every April/May and return in October....ever curious why?

As for OP, if you don't mind hopping in your car for bookstores, shopping, you can find your retirement community and take a daytrip into those areas. I do it once in awhile where I live to St Pete and Sarasota (downtown) where you get the shop, coffee, used bookstores, marina, water, beach. You have to accept that being less affluent doesn't mean you have to sacrifice. It just might not be available out your backdoor. Shoot, people buy RVs and live a FL lifestyle, some better than I do in an established retirement home.

Old 05-01-2016, 07:37 AM

3,557 posts, read 6,202,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathte View Post
I don't think Retiring in FL. is exactly the same as retiring anywhere else. The reason we might move to Florida is because hubby is retired and his SSD won't get taxed down there like it is up here in NYC.
SSD will convert to regular SS when he is retired. It then can be taxed if you make above a certain amount even in Florida.

Old 05-01-2016, 08:26 AM

3,689 posts, read 2,013,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
A significant number (hundreds of thousands?) ship out of here every April/May and return in October....ever curious why?
I would imagine to escape the worst of their winter back home.
Who knows ?
The fact is there are more people moving to Florida than leaving.
Go figure.

Old 05-01-2016, 05:07 PM

3,926 posts, read 4,773,823 times
Here is a suggestion. You can rent a nice manufactured home at a reasonable price during snowbird season, much less in summer seasons, come down and spend some time.

We moved from Texas. Our homeowners insurance is about the same as Dallas, taxes are much lower. Utilities are a fraction the cost in Texas. If you live in the central part of the state, you might be able to get homeowners insurance from Allstate, etc as opposed to Florida Peninsula, Citizens, etc.

Housing costs, everything is just what you want and where you want it. So do your research. BTW, Zillow estimates of values can be skewed so don't rely solely on those.

Good luck.

Old 05-01-2016, 05:45 PM

6,950 posts, read 3,857,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post

As for OP, if you don't mind hopping in your car for bookstores, shopping, you can find your retirement community and take a daytrip into those areas. I do it once in awhile where I live to St Pete and Sarasota (downtown) where you get the shop, coffee, used bookstores, marina, water, beach. You have to accept that being less affluent doesn't mean you have to sacrifice. It just might not be available out your backdoor. Shoot, people buy RVs and live a FL lifestyle, some better than I do in an established retirement home.
Curious? No! That's an easy one. They have deep seated roots in areas that have severe winters and return to those roots, friends and families when the miserable winter weather subsides only to reverse their route in the fall or winter as the northern weather again makes life miserable there.

Old 05-01-2016, 05:52 PM

10,575 posts, read 10,842,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
SSD will convert to regular SS when he is retired. It then can be taxed if you make above a certain amount even in Florida.
At the state level? How so?

Old 05-01-2016, 06:59 PM

17,521 posts, read 10,605,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
At the state level? How so?
Only federal level as far as I know. They give and take.

Old 05-01-2016, 07:29 PM

1,288 posts, read 1,747,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Only federal level as far as I know. They give and take.
Florida has no State income tax on wages or anything

Old 05-04-2016, 04:14 AM

2,056 posts, read 2,464,773 times
According to this website below, New York SSD benefit recipients are exempt from state taxes. Also, Florida is one of 12 states that does not tax pensions or social security benefits, no matter how much they amount to (second link). There is no state tax in this state, period. Federal taxes are another story.

taxes. Does My State Tax Social Security Disability Benefits? | Disability Secrets

State-by-State Guide to Taxes on Retirees-Kiplinger
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida