U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2016, 06:36 AM

1 posts, read 1,666 times

Advertisements

So many posts are 5-10 years old so the information may not be applicable to today's Florida. I would love to hear from people about what it's like to live in Florida today. Personally, I am looking for a certain feel to where I retire. Retirement communities are fine. First I am NOT a golfer and could care less about a retirement community that has golf courses (it seems that everyone thinks golfing is the only thing retirees want to do). My preference would be coffee shop/bookstore/great little shopping area. I am not excited about humidity so the less of that the better. I am not wealthy so searching for a lower cost of living but that will not put me in a trashy, high crime location is a must. Quality healthcare is important. I would love to be near water on either side.

Also, have read that insurance is a killer from so many. Is this still the case?

Is my order too tall? Are there places in Florida that might fit all of what I am hoping for?

Thanks to anyone responding. I am grateful for any help.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 07:50 AM

986 posts, read 984,815 times
It's difficult to say if your order is too tall without learning about your housing budget and how large of a home you want. My guess is that Citrus County might be doable -- but that's just a guess. Our insurance on a 2700 sq. ft. home in SoFla runs $5k a year. If you're considering a condo/villa/townhouse, HOA fees covering insurance and maintenance of common areas can easily be comparable.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:01 AM

2,391 posts, read 4,043,474 times
I love the sun and I love the beaches. But best of all I love the the variety entertainment of local entertainment to the famous stars that come to perform.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:13 AM

7,678 posts, read 16,092,150 times
You can often bring insurance costs down quite a bit by buying a newer home (less than 10 years old) built to current windstorm code that is not in a flood zone.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:29 AM

499 posts, read 415,192 times
Humidity is pretty consistent throughout the state and hard to escape for a good part of the year (May through October). Its something you have to get used to and just deal with if you're going to spend time outdoors during those months.

Old 04-30-2016, 02:24 PM

9,137 posts, read 8,281,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharonrae View Post
I am not excited about humidity so the less of that the better. I am not wealthy so searching for a lower cost of living but that will not put me in a trashy, high crime location is a must. Quality healthcare is important. I would love to be near water on either side.

Everywhere in Florida is going to have very high humidity June-August.

South Florida will have pretty high humidity about 9 months of the year.

Lower cost of living usually equals trashy high crime in many situations. What do you consider lower cost of living?

Near water? How near.

Near water and lower cost of living really don't co-exist especially with great healthcare.

There are places that are less expensive, parts of the panhandle, Fort Myers, Fort Pierce, Port St. Lucie, Daytona, Coco Beach.

Old 04-30-2016, 02:47 PM

3,689 posts, read 2,013,475 times
Here's the absolute skinny.
Retiring in Florida is exactly the same as retiring anywhere else,except for the weather.
You can find the same 55+ communities of golfers or arty coffee bar and craft beer types in Florida like you can find anywhere else.
Florida is a huge state and you simply can't generalise or pluck out of the air a perfect community that fits all of your requirements.
But be under no illusion - if you don't like long summers of heat and humidity then Florida really isn't for you.
Seriously.It gets hot and humid for half of the year.If that worries you and you're not prepared to adapt then don't move here.
The reality is,though,that many,many people retire here for exactly the same reasons that many people on CD hate Florida for.
Me,personally,I like to wake up every morning to predictably blue skies,predictably hot weather and predictably summer months of humidity.
But it ain't hell on Earth.If it was,all those people who move here for the weather would ship out within a few months.And most of then don't.

Old 04-30-2016, 02:56 PM

149 posts, read 102,668 times
I don't think Retiring in FL. is exactly the same as retiring anywhere else. The reason we might move to Florida is because hubby is retired and his SSD won't get taxed down there like it is up here in NYC.

Old 04-30-2016, 03:12 PM

3,689 posts, read 2,013,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathte View Post
I don't think Retiring in FL. is exactly the same as retiring anywhere else. The reason we might move to Florida is because hubby is retired and his SSD won't get taxed down there like it is up here in NYC.
So you have to weigh up the equation that states are the savings on my husband's pension worth living in a place that's hot and humid for half the year.
Whichever way you cut it that's the deal about retiring to Florida.
If you were considering retiring to Alaska you sure as hell would think about the cold. You've gotta do the same about heat and humidity in Florida.

Old 04-30-2016, 07:18 PM

2,932 posts, read 4,011,881 times
Lots of places come to mind. Knowing a budget would help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida