Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 05:56 PM

809 posts, read 746,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I want trump to build a wall around my gated community and I want everyone living around my community to pay for it!
If you promise to vote for him, I'm guessing he'll promise to build you that wall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2016, 07:17 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,632,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsVaslovik View Post
Oh gee, I'm not so sure about that, given some of the gate guards I've come across. And FYI, I don't live in one of those places because I don't think they are worth it if you are paying for security in an exclusive neighborhood. I've no trouble at all with that where I live, so why shuck out all the extra bucks for an illusion? And trust me, it IS an illusion.
The only people who call it an illusion are people who can't afford it. No offense. It's not an illusion. As I pointed out in another post, I have lived in a non-gated and now gated, it's VERY obvious how much less random traffic and people are in the neighborhood, and that's what you pay for.

You don't think it's worth it because you can't afford it, and thus you can't justify the value. For some people, the cost is trivial and it's a nice amenity. There is no reason to talk others down just because it's something you can't have.

Old 05-08-2016, 08:26 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,831,016 times
Eh. My suburblet is a mix of gated and non-gated neighborhoods and the older non-gated areas command a bit of a premium because you get far larger lots and better architectural diversity compared to the gated areas. And homes in the non-gated areas also tend to sell decidedly quicker than similar-sized homes in the gated areas.

Old 05-08-2016, 10:25 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,835,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
but you won't have unwanted people just willy-nilly cruising the streets looking to be mischievous, trashing the streets, being loud, etc etc.....don't like gate communities, don't live there.....I'm happy in mine - have been the last two communities I've lived.
Other than a period in the military I have never lived behind a gate but have also never experienced the willy-nilly mischief makers and street trashers of which you speak. I suppose if I had I might look to a gated community to alleviate that. Have you really lived somewhere where that was the norm? I wouldn't want to put myself through the daily inconvenience of needing to barter myself and any business people or friends into my own home nor would I like to pay extra for the privilege. I also like to see people out and about and don't really care if they live across the street or on the other side of town.

I must admit I have cruised the streets of neighborhoods to see what houses were for sale and to get the lay of the land, so to speak. I wonder if any of the real estate people here have any data on added time it might take to sell a home inside a gated development because potential buyers who like to screen areas themselves are not given access.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:55 AM

6,410 posts, read 4,905,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Other than a period in the military I have never lived behind a gate but have also never experienced the willy-nilly mischief makers and street trashers of which you speak. I suppose if I had I might look to a gated community to alleviate that. Have you really lived somewhere where that was the norm? I wouldn't want to put myself through the daily inconvenience of needing to barter myself and any business people or friends into my own home nor would I like to pay extra for the privilege. I also like to see people out and about and don't really care if they live across the street or on the other side of town.

I must admit I have cruised the streets of neighborhoods to see what houses were for sale and to get the lay of the land, so to speak. I wonder if any of the real estate people here have any data on added time it might take to sell a home inside a gated development because potential buyers who like to screen areas themselves are not given access.
I don't think it affects the time it takes to sell a house because people that are looking for houses in gated communities realize that you need to go with a realtor (or wait for an open house). Also with the advent of the online realty services (not sure I can mention them on here) you can get a pretty good idea of what the place looks like.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post

Miami man convicted of murder in deaths of two Cooper City bicyclists - Sun Sentinel

That is my old neighborhood. Break-ins weren't terribly common and it's considered a very safe (non-gated community), but these guys come up from Miami and cruise the neighborhood. No gates, so they cruise around looking for targets. They got caught, and ran over 2 innocent bicyclists and killed them.

This doesn't happen in proper gated communities. You can't just get into my current gated community, there is no "gate code" that everyone knows, you can't follow in, etc. You could enter through someones backyard, but you won't be cruising around in your car. It's just much more risky and less appealing to a criminal to deal with a neighborhood with proper gated access. Plus I have my children outside playing, riding bicycles, and the less traffic, the better. It's only my neighbors. Which means people feel more accountable if they are to speed down the street, because everyone knows who they are.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:54 AM

By the way, for those who are so convinced it's an illusion.... Let's look at this crime map. My previous neighborhood. The left half (left of Hiatus) is Rock Creek, which is non-gated. Expensive, middle-upper class neighborhood. There is one small gated area, I circled all gated parts in Red. The right half is Embassy Lakes - which is gated with manned security.

See any difference in burglaries? Yeah, me too..... Gated communities are NOT an illusion.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:57 AM

499 posts, read 586,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Miami man convicted of murder in deaths of two Cooper City bicyclists - Sun Sentinel

That is my old neighborhood. Break-ins weren't terribly common and it's considered a very safe (non-gated community), but these guys come up from Miami and cruise the neighborhood. No gates, so they cruise around looking for targets. They got caught, and ran over 2 innocent bicyclists and killed them.

This doesn't happen in proper gated communities. You can't just get into my current gated community, there is no "gate code" that everyone knows, you can't follow in, etc. You could enter through someones backyard, but you won't be cruising around in your car. It's just much more risky and less appealing to a criminal to deal with a neighborhood with proper gated access. Plus I have my children outside playing, riding bicycles, and the less traffic, the better. It's only my neighbors. Which means people feel more accountable if they are to speed down the street, because everyone knows who they are.
Exactly! We are VERY happy in our 24-hr manned gated community. And it's not some 85 year old struggling to stay awake manning our gates - these guys look like football players and pay attention to everyone who comes in and out. But that's besides the point for me. Like BNBR said, less traffic and more accountability - with small children, it's a much better environment.

Old 05-09-2016, 03:25 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,571,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
The only people who call it an illusion are people who can't afford it. No offense. It's not an illusion. As I pointed out in another post, I have lived in a non-gated and now gated, it's VERY obvious how much less random traffic and people are in the neighborhood, and that's what you pay for.

You don't think it's worth it because you can't afford it, and thus you can't justify the value. For some people, the cost is trivial and it's a nice amenity. There is no reason to talk others down just because it's something you can't have.

I know plenty of people who could afford to live in any gated community but choose not to. It's not just jealous haters who do not care for gated communities.

I agree that the gated community will cut down on random traffic and people cutting through. You dont have annoying things like Missionaries or salespeople knocking on your door.

The super wealthy don't live in gated communities... they live in gated estates. ( i.e. Palm Beach)

I don't like the idea of the security guards knowing ( or being able to find out about) all my comings and goings, monitoring my guests, knowing if i get pizza delivered or new furniture etc. Call me paranoid but i don't like the complete documentation of my life.

Old 05-09-2016, 03:59 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,424,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post

I don't like the idea of the security guards knowing ( or being able to find out about) all my comings and goings, monitoring my guests, knowing if i get pizza delivered or new furniture etc. Call me paranoid but i don't like the complete documentation of my life.
Hate to tell you this, but all your neighbors see you come/go, get pizza, furniture and have guests at your home -----I can't see why you'd care if a low paying guard is aware......as if they couldn't care less.....my community has thousands of homes. You think they keep track of them all? Unless you happen to be dealing in illicit drugs or activity where you're afraid you'd get caught and the security system would be evidence against you and your criminal partners.

Last edited by BucFan; 05-09-2016 at 04:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida