Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2011, 11:40 AM

3,804 posts, read 6,169,557 times

Advertisements

So I was looking around at some maps yesterday, and I noticed Monroe County, FL. Admittedly it looks like only a handful of park rangers are the only ones legally living on the mainland, but still that trip from the top of the Keys to Key West when you need to go to the court house has to be killer. I've driving as far as Key Largo twice, and that was a long trip down a mostly two lane road. I can't imagine going all the way to Key West. Has anyone ever considered dividing the mainland part between the surrounding counties, and then splitting the Keys into a North Key County and South Key County?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 01:02 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
What purpose would that serve? Splitting the Keys that is.

Back in 1980 I faced the same problem. I thought it was a breeze to drive form Miami Beach to Key West and back. We got to Key Largo, decided that was it, enjoyed Pennekamp State Park and a Holiday Inn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
So I was looking around at some maps yesterday, and I noticed Monroe County, FL. Admittedly it looks like only a handful of park rangers are the only ones legally living on the mainland, but still that trip from the top of the Keys to Key West when you need to go to the court house has to be killer. I've driving as far as Key Largo twice, and that was a long trip down a mostly two lane road. I can't imagine going all the way to Key West. Has anyone ever considered dividing the mainland part between the surrounding counties, and then splitting the Keys into a North Key County and South Key County?

Old 06-26-2011, 02:46 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Actually Monroe County has split services so driving to Key West isn't a necessity. Here's an example:

https://gov.propertyinfo.com/FL-Monr...tionHours.html

Old 01-09-2012, 12:33 PM

1 posts, read 5,112 times
Oh, yeah, Al. That's been proposed. There are similarities up and down the Keys, but also differences between the Upper, Middle and Lower Keys (which includes Key West). We do have courthouses and government offices in all 3 areas. I was a County Commissioner (interim, not elected) and we would rotate Commission meetings between the 3 areas. But living in Monroe County is not all about the courts and govt offices. It is about the waters, the climate, fishing, diving, and a somewhat relaxed lifestyle. We have much less crime and traffic than many other areas. However, it's sometimes tough making a living here, and many locals have 2 or 3 jobs. Housing is expensive, jobs pay not so much. I came back here "temporarily" in 1984 and haven't left, if that tells you anything. When we need a culture or shopping fix, it's an hour and a half to Miami from where I live. We're always glad to get back, after "getting off the rock".

Old 01-09-2012, 08:39 PM

334 posts, read 1,151,058 times
It's about a 2 hour drive from Key Largo to Kew West, not particularly long or difficult. I wouldn't want to do it every day, but it's hardly terrible. Besides, how often does anyone actually go the courthouse? I only go once every 5 years or so for jury duty here in Brevard County.

And you folks who gave up driving in Key Largo - the stretch between Key Largo and Florida City (Miami) is really dull. You guys stopped right when the drive gets interesting!

Old 01-09-2012, 08:52 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoty View Post
It's about a 2 hour drive from Key Largo to Kew West, not particularly long or difficult. I wouldn't want to do it every day, but it's hardly terrible. Besides, how often does anyone actually go the courthouse? I only go once every 5 years or so for jury duty here in Brevard County.

And you folks who gave up driving in Key Largo - the stretch between Key Largo and Florida City (Miami) is really dull. You guys stopped right when the drive gets interesting!
Agreed. I love the drive to key west. Beautiful

Old 01-09-2012, 08:57 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Getting from Kendall to Brickell seems much more of a pain.

Old 05-17-2016, 05:02 AM

1 posts, read 3,213 times
Many of us in the upper keys hope for federal jury duty in Key West. It's like an all expense paid mini vacation to enjoy Key West. It's worth the drive! Now that I think about, I haven't been called for it in quite some time, what's up with that? Call me maybe?

Old 05-17-2016, 07:08 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,570,629 times
At one time the Keys were split between Monroe and Dade County. I think having the Keys in one county makes sense.

As for the mainland portion of Monroe less than a handful of people actually live there, so it really doesnt matter what county it is part of.

Old 05-17-2016, 06:32 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
My parents live in Key West part of the year and they love living in Monroe County!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida