U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 09:46 AM

3,182 posts, read 1,609,111 times

Advertisements

We have looked at numerous gated communities in our house hunting odyssey. There are 2 types, manned and unmanned. Unmanned are useless since every pizza delivery person has the code plus its easy to follow another car through in most. Manned are more desirable but there are many grades of guards ranging from a 90 year old man who would blow over in a stiff breeze to ex police or military who are very professional. It depends how much the community pays. If they pay almost minimum you get a disinterested person who goes through the motions if they pay more you get a real guard. Its not the most exciting job in the world. Some communities are also patrolled which is the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2016, 09:57 AM

4,978 posts, read 7,273,156 times
Oh please, most gated communities provide a false sense of security anyway. I've lived in numerous gated communities through south FL, some manned, some unmanned and if someone wants to gain access to the neighborhood....they will find a way to gain access.

Currently, I live in an unmanned gated community, however at night it is patrolled by some overweight goober on a golf cart who stares at his phone all night.... makes me feel all warm and safe on the inside.

Then again, most gated communities are located in decent neighborhoods anyway that are generally safe, so what are they actually keeping out? Crime that barely exists anyway.
Whatever.

Old 05-06-2016, 10:28 AM

2,514 posts, read 1,800,926 times
generally speaking, I would rather have surveillance cameras than a single person in a guard shack. Ideally a gated community should have both.

Old 05-06-2016, 11:28 AM

17,444 posts, read 10,514,899 times
Gated communities, manned or unmanned, give a false sense of security. Usually they are in good areas and the homeowners have security systems, so more bad guys stay away in any event, Unmanned or even no HOA type development are usually just as safe, if in a good area. I would rather pay for my own security system and have cameras mounted than depend on a gate guard. The biggest difference might be in child safety as it is harder to grab a child as the level of security goes up.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:20 PM

499 posts, read 413,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Gated communities, manned or unmanned, give a false sense of security. Usually they are in good areas and the homeowners have security systems, so more bad guys stay away in any event, Unmanned or even no HOA type development are usually just as safe, if in a good area. I would rather pay for my own security system and have cameras mounted than depend on a gate guard. The biggest difference might be in child safety as it is harder to grab a child as the level of security goes up.
I agree that it is a false sense of security in many regards. We still have a security system that we use. We prefer to be in a manned gated community at this time in our lives because we have a 3 year old. It is harder to grab a child b/c of the gate and there are cameras filming each car that enters and exits. Another benefit is it somewhat limits the amount of traffic on the neighborhood roads, which is also nice when you're walking or biking with a small child.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:52 PM

17,444 posts, read 10,514,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCTtoFL View Post
I agree that it is a false sense of security in many regards. We still have a security system that we use. We prefer to be in a manned gated community at this time in our lives because we have a 3 year old. It is harder to grab a child b/c of the gate and there are cameras filming each car that enters and exits. Another benefit is it somewhat limits the amount of traffic on the neighborhood roads, which is also nice when you're walking or biking with a small child.
Yes, if you have children it is a better type of community to be in.

I am old and no one wants to grab me.

Old 05-06-2016, 01:09 PM

I disagree that manned gates give you a false sense of security. Nothing will make your house burglar proof but a manned gated community with patrols cuts down your chances significantly and depending on the neighborhood can make a big difference. Its easy to case a house in an non gated community and it acts a deterrent if access is more difficult. Burglars are inherently lazy and if you make it more difficult there is a good chance they will look elsewhere. I would always supplement it with a good home security system with local monitoring. Plus if someone is coming over you don't want to see (in-laws) you can tell the guard to tell them you are not home .

Old 05-06-2016, 02:47 PM

16,992 posts, read 20,601,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
We have looked at numerous gated communities in our house hunting odyssey. There are 2 types, manned and unmanned. Unmanned are useless since every pizza delivery person has the code plus its easy to follow another car through in most. Manned are more desirable but there are many grades of guards ranging from a 90 year old man who would blow over in a stiff breeze to ex police or military who are very professional. It depends how much the community pays. If they pay almost minimum you get a disinterested person who goes through the motions if they pay more you get a real guard. Its not the most exciting job in the world. Some communities are also patrolled which is the best.

LOL...do you honestly think a four foot wall and a security guard making $9 an hour is going to protect you?

You're better off with a large dog and a gun for your own protection.

There was an incident in the Tampa area where the guard was in on the robberies, he knew who the snowbirds were.

They're mostly designed for middle class people who retire from the northeast, sell their house for a nice chunk of change, buy the house in FL for cash and think living in a gated community makes them feel like they have "arrived".

It's all about show and showing off.

Old 05-06-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
LOL...do you honestly think a four foot wall and a security guard making $9 an hour is going to protect you?

You're better off with a large dog and a gun for your own protection.

There was an incident in the Tampa area where the guard was in on the robberies, he knew who the snowbirds were.

They're mostly designed for middle class people who retire from the northeast, sell their house for a nice chunk of change, buy the house in FL for cash and think living in a gated community makes them feel like they have "arrived".

It's all about show and showing off.
I didn't say it would protect me, I said it acts as a deterrent. I would have a locally monitored security system as well. I don't fit in the above category. I would think I had arrived because the MANNED gated communities tend to be nicer and whatever falsely placed confidence I had in the security makes me feel better.

Old 05-06-2016, 07:45 PM

6,861 posts, read 3,809,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
And across the entire country how many kids are "grabbed" each year? It's like safeguarding against dragons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida