Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2016, 09:23 AM

2 posts, read 1,273 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have the opportunity to relocate to Pensacola or Tampa areas. We are a mid forties quiet couple looking for a better quality of life. As we are both very positive we struggle with which area to go to. We currently live in a very rural area. We both also grew up in the Detroit area and are familiar with fast pace life. We enjoy the city life (night life, dining, coffee shops and shopping) and we also enjoy beaches, kayaking and metal detecting. My husband and I have been to Tampa and we enjoyed the area but we have never been to Pensacola. My husband is a licence social worker and I am a house wife. I also take care of my mother with health issues. We don't have any children but we do have four legged fur babies. We are leaning more towards Pensacola as housing is cheaper and seems to be more pet friendly. This is a huge move for my family. In our situation my mother and I will be moving first and then my husband will follow once I get to work. We are looking for advice from someone that has made a big move and can guide us on the do's and don'ts . We are also looking for advise on area, things to do and what areas to stay away from. Thank you in advance for any information you can help us with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 09:24 AM

2 posts, read 1,273 times
Orlando is also a possibility

Old 05-10-2016, 09:28 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,559,700 times
Tampa is a larger city there is more opportunity for work. But with it comes traffic, congestion etc. If you want to be near the beach Pinellas County is on the Gulf directly, so Clearwater, St Petersburg are closer to gulf. Tampa itself is probably no less thatn 30 minute drive to gulf.

Pensacola is a much smaller city some would say town. Compared to rural northern Michigan, Pensacola is bustling. Being near the beach is probably more affordable in Pensacola, but its still a drive.

Old 05-10-2016, 09:32 AM

4,361 posts, read 4,310,848 times
We have lived in Pensacola for 3 years now. I recommend you get a lease on a house and learn the area before looking to buy.

Old 05-12-2016, 01:24 PM

5,005 posts, read 5,612,891 times
Pensacola:
1 Closer to Beach
2 More Affordable
3 Quieter
4 In Florida, but close to other states
5 Slightly better hiking options
6 Milder/Shorter Summers

Tampa
1 More Job Opportunities
2 Close to Disney/Universal
3 Way more overall attractions
4 Better Airport With Many Stops
5 More Water Sports/Longer Season
6 Education/Services/Healthcare

Old 05-12-2016, 02:30 PM

26,974 posts, read 43,486,513 times
The Pensacola-Fort Walton Beach-Destin area is thriving and a good bit less expensive (and crowded) than the Tampa Bay or Orlando area. It's had the lowest unemployment rate in the state and wasn't as affected by the recession as Central Florida. Given your criteria and circumstances I would give it a sizable edge, and would urge you to consider Mobile/Gulf Shores AL area as well which has similar attributes to Pensacola and some very nice areas like Fairhope or Daphne.

Mobile Bay Hotels, Events, Things to Do & Restaurants | Mobile Bay AL
Gulf Shores Alabama - Orange Beach - Alabama Gulf Coast Vacations
Beautiful Fairhope Alabama | Visit
All About Daphne | City of Daphne
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida