U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-06-2016, 03:38 PM
 
210 posts, read 244,438 times
Reputation: 61

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Agreed. People always told me oh it gets just as hot in NH as it does in Fla.. Not even close. It was 116 heat index here yesterday with 70% humidity. Wasn't even close to that in Boston. I call it reverse SADD here. It gets to the point where the sun and heat are unbearable for 6-8 months on end. We're not even in "summer" yet and we are triple digits. Come give us a visit mid August.
Hey man its all about living close to the equator. Its comparable to people complaining about the clod in Massachusetts, we live up north, of course its going to be cold during the winter! You can't complain as you live in a place that has that weather naturally. I don't mind the heat, I've had to spend many winters huddled around an electric heating system, to no longer have to deal with the issue of heating my home(as well as the bill that comes with it that can be costly when it comes to electrical heating) is a huge plus for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-06-2016, 05:51 PM
 
Location: Derby, CT
3,584 posts, read 2,501,774 times
Reputation: 2927
Instead you'll be running AC 24/7 11 out of 12 months out of the year. When it drops to the 60's and you think that it's safe to shut off the AC, don't. Humidity in your home is bad news no matter how cool it is outside.

Like I said, I hope that you've lived in this sort of heat before... because it'll be something you never saw coming. Heat like this is just oppressing especially to a native northerner.

Good luck though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2016, 05:42 AM
 
210 posts, read 244,438 times
Reputation: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Instead you'll be running AC 24/7 11 out of 12 months out of the year. When it drops to the 60's and you think that it's safe to shut off the AC, don't. Humidity in your home is bad news no matter how cool it is outside.

Like I said, I hope that you've lived in this sort of heat before... because it'll be something you never saw coming. Heat like this is just oppressing especially to a native northerner.

Good luck though!
Can't be as oppressing as the rudeness of Bostonians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2016, 06:04 AM
 
Location: Derby, CT
3,584 posts, read 2,501,774 times
Reputation: 2927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontworryboutit View Post
Can't be as oppressing as the rudeness of Bostonians.
It's worse

It's physically oppressing to the point of sometimes not being able to breathe properly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2016, 10:37 AM
 
210 posts, read 244,438 times
Reputation: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
It's worse

It's physically oppressing to the point of sometimes not being able to breathe properly.
Aw dude grow up, you live in South Florida close to the equator along with millions if other people. The weather clearly isn't a health hazard as long as you take good care of yourself. You complaining about the hot weather is like going to Alaska and complaining that its cold. Also what's wrong with humidity? I happen to be one of the few who likes humid environments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2016, 11:17 AM
 
Location: Derby, CT
3,584 posts, read 2,501,774 times
Reputation: 2927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontworryboutit View Post
Aw dude grow up, you live in South Florida close to the equator along with millions if other people.
Irrelevant. The number of people living there has nothing to do with it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontworryboutit View Post
The weather clearly isn't a health hazard as long as you take good care of yourself.
The weather claims plenty every year between the heat, lightning strikes, floods, sink holes etc. I'm not worried about any of those things really. I just find the heat to be atrocious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontworryboutit View Post
You complaining about the hot weather is like going to Alaska and complaining that its cold.
I agree, it's exactly like that. You asked for advice on moving to FL. You are coming from a cold(er) environment to a place that is the complete polar opposite. I happen to be a fellow New Englander and I think that someone who has done exactly what you are going to do is someone you'd probably at least want the opinion of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontworryboutit View Post
Also what's wrong with humidity? I happen to be one of the few who likes humid environments.
Depends on the person, I happen to dislike humidity quite a bit and I think I'm not the only one. I would assume that if you've lived in the north all of your life that you haven't felt the humidity that Florida gives. This isn't the same thing, I promise you that.

If you end up liking it there then great! I'm just letting you know MY personal experience doing exactly what you are doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2016, 04:37 PM
 
Location: North Carolina
3,552 posts, read 6,172,629 times
Reputation: 5375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontworryboutit View Post
Aw dude grow up, you live in South Florida close to the equator along with millions if other people. The weather clearly isn't a health hazard as long as you take good care of yourself. You complaining about the hot weather is like going to Alaska and complaining that its cold. Also what's wrong with humidity? I happen to be one of the few who likes humid environments.
You like New England humidity. Get ready to play a whole new ballgame called sub tropical humidity. You'll laugh at what new englanders call humid. It was 103 heat index at 10:30 last night with 85% humidity. 4 th of July night my neighbors shot off fireworks in 109 degree heat index at 9:30pm. It's currently 63 in Boston right now at 6:30. I haven't seen 63 since probably January. God luck bud. Plenty of New Englanders and northerners boast how much they love the heat and humidity and summer. They're also the ones who usually find their way back after 7 months of triple digit heat indexes.. Maybe you'll be different ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2016, 09:16 PM
KPB
 
1,434 posts, read 924,096 times
Reputation: 1204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
You like New England humidity. Get ready to play a whole new ballgame called sub tropical humidity. You'll laugh at what new englanders call humid. It was 103 heat index at 10:30 last night with 85% humidity. 4 th of July night my neighbors shot off fireworks in 109 degree heat index at 9:30pm. It's currently 63 in Boston right now at 6:30. I haven't seen 63 since probably January. God luck bud. Plenty of New Englanders and northerners boast how much they love the heat and humidity and summer. They're also the ones who usually find their way back after 7 months of triple digit heat indexes.. Maybe you'll be different ..
Agreed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2016, 09:36 AM
 
Location: Florida -
8,763 posts, read 10,837,755 times
Reputation: 16632
In Florida, the large inner-city and beach town areas are typically more expensive because that's where the action and tourists are drawn. There are a ton of small towns within 30 minutes of the city or beach that will save you a significant amount on rent, yet leave you within a highly practical travel distance from work, clubs and the beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2016, 01:47 AM
 
19 posts, read 16,464 times
Reputation: 21
Hello ! Im also 23 turning 24 and from Boston planning to move down to southern Florida haha. The weather is what kills me, the winters drain me and its not likes its 3 months of the year, the winter is literally october all the way to end of april. Its insane. So I was actually down in Miami last weekend and loved it. I have gone down there at least once every year for the past 4 years. The only thing that I think im gonna have to get used to is the humidity and heat. It's vastly different from summers up north. But I prefer the heat over the snow any day. The job market does seem to be better up north, and wages are higher here, but If you can find a decent salary that allows you to atleast rent out a room or even studio, hey, its all about progressing and starting out small. I wish you the best of luck in your move down there ! Im planning to move in October before the snow gets here lol.

Cheers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top