Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 03:15 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,124,405 times

Advertisements

Hernando County is 45 miles or so north of the city of Tampa. It goes from semi rural to full blown rural.
You can find a house for less than 100k in a decent area. You wont get an acre for that price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfamilyhouse View Post
Tentatively researching different states to find what it is we're looking for. There are just too many threads on here for me to read through them all, although I've read through quite a few over the past few hours. Easier to just make my own thread

Housing below 100k, we don't mind fixer uppers at all. Small house, nothing too fancy.
Small town-ish community feel. We want to be able to take our kids on walks outside, go to the park, find a community feel, maybe homeschool groups or something. We moved hours away from home, bought land, built a house, doing the homestead thing but the area is HORRIBLE with meth addicts and trash. We're not happy, so we're doing our research before we move again. We want our kids to be able to go outside and play and not worry about crazy crime etc... (I know there is crime everywhere).

We don't want to be in the city but close-ish to an area for jobs if need be (we both work from home but who knows what will happen in the future).

We'd love to live in a small community, one acre or so is possible, small family home (again, we're NOT fancy), super kid friendly, low-crime.

Doesn't have to be near any particular beaches. We can drive and the beach is not our main reason for being interested in FL, definitely a bonus, not a necessity.

Uh, hurricanes. Guess that's hit or miss with mother nature, but yeah, we'll figure that out. lol

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 06:46 AM

3 posts, read 3,419 times
Thanks Spring Hillian, I'll browse around that area

Old 05-18-2016, 02:28 PM

27,205 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I can tell you there is no hit or miss with hurricanes in any part of Florida. If you live here you WILL be hit at some point in time. Even inland
Well, not so much. I have lived here for nearly 40 years off/on and was affected directly by a hurricane just once, Hurricane David in 1979. Hurricane impact in the state is a bit overstated by the drama queens where in reality one is more likely to see damage/injury through driving on our roads.

Old 05-18-2016, 04:04 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,171,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Well, not so much. I have lived here for nearly 40 years off/on and was affected directly by a hurricane just once, Hurricane David in 1979. Hurricane impact in the state is a bit overstated by the drama queens where in reality one is more likely to see damage/injury through driving on our roads.
I guess I am with the drama queens! Been here 40 years too. No off times for me. Yep, you can name the hurricanes that have hit the state . It is harder to name the ones that affected most of the state that were tropical storms that caused flooding or the ones that were huge and aimed right at Central East Coast and stayed off shore by 50 miles.

Impact on people does not always mean losing your home, dying, etc. Sometimes the impact is the watching a storm like Hurricane Floyd aim right for you. Thousands of people fled the coast and learned exactly what is the important things in their lives. We took the kids, the pets, some pictures and left everything else behind knowing we would be homeless and own absolutely nothing if it really came ashore.

Impact is the preparing your home for a pending storm-even if it does not hit. It affects you with the expense just to get ready for a storm. Getting ready is not for the poor. You need tree limbs or trees cut and removed. You need shutters, you need food, you need activities for the kids, you need to bring in anything that could blow in the wind and do damage to your house or your neighbors. The winds of Jeanne actually made a hole in one wall when it blew a nail in and across the bedroom. BTW most of us were so tired by the time Jeanne came in in 2004 we stayed in our damaged houses moving from room to room as more damage was done. I can say I am more scared of hurricanes now than I was after David, Erin, Floyd, or the floods of TS Fay . Hurricane Charley affected us too-even though it really never came near my part of the county. Our son was at UCF- a 1 day on the job of resident assistance training which turned into a storm shelter training. It was days of worry for us. And of course when he wasn't hunkered down in the bathroom, he would call and report about the water coming in, the glass, breaking, the funnel clouds he saw between the buildings , or having to run through the storm because they saw flashlights in a closed dorm. Found drunk students that hid from campus police during evacuation to shelter. Then the worry was reversed for Francis and Jeanne.

Impact means deciding whether to stay or run. Running is an expense you have to plan for. Then when you are out of the area and see some one like Jim Cantore reporting from your block, you know in your heart there may be nothing left for you to return to.

When you do come back to the area and all the street signs, stop lights are gone you feel it in the pit of your stomach. When you are stopped by the National Guard and have to show proof you live in an area you turn a little gray with worry. You worry about your neighbors that stayed.........we found out the kids in the condo below ours knew when our home had the wind whirling through it. They said they watched their glass sliding door to the patio bowing in and out and actually sat with their backs to it so it would not blow in. Crazy move on their part.

Then you have the weeks/months/even years after.....a whole new experience. If you own a car, have electricity, or homeowners insurance etc. You are still being affected because of the hurricane coverage and fees that doubled and tripled-even if you filed no claim.

If you live in a part of the state that wasn't hit directly this time, you may have had winds, rain, and tornadoes in your area. The bands can precede the eye by 12 hours or so. If they predict it to come in at Stuart for example you might be getting the bands on all sides of Stuart in 100-200 miles.

Just like when you live in Tornado alley. You don't always get hit......but the impact is still there because it could happen anywhere. When you hear that siren the fear is there. If you are the one that sustains the damage even a little bitty hurricane, tornado, earthquake etc. is a big thing. In Florida we have to make sure everyone is prepared . We can't forget. It is always better to be prepared than to be another Louisiana.

So if I am a drama queen so be it. At least maybe I am saving 1 life instead of being someone who down plays something that could change their lives forever. There are a lot of new people in the state again who have never experienced a hurricane and they have to be aware. Just like people in Oklahoma etc need to know what to do if there is a tornado warning.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:34 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,961,204 times
Quote:
Been here over 30 years and I can name a handful of storms that did damage and I'm in a hard place to hit. Usually the storms have to come all the way around Cuba and the pennisula and make a real hard right immediately to get any direct hit. Donna and Wilma are the only two that I know of that made that sharp right. Here in Naples we had a particularly nasty wind storm as a result of hurricane Andrew in 1992 that came through a day or so after the storm had passed due to outer bands. Andrew hit on the complete opposite side of the state and yet we sustained a lot of damage just from the outer bands. We had a massive oak tree in our back yard at the time and the entire thing was uprooted and on its side by days end.

Wilma of course was a direct high for us at Cat 4 (I think) at landfall I can't remember now. We didn't evacuate but went about 10 miles inland. At about 6 am we woke to the rafters on the house creaking and groaning trying to rip off. We watched as water got through the roof and all the seams in the house where wall met ceiling and corner met corner began to change color from the water being forced in.
The pressure at one point became so low that water was being forced through the nail holes along our windows and door knobs. I remember thinking my head was going to explode from the pressure in the house. We barely made it but our neighbors hid in their closets with two children while the back of their house ripped off. I would probably only evacuate for a Cat4 + after that. Charlie also caused extensive damage and large power outages for a week plus and hit two hours north of us. That's just the ones that stick out. We've had many more skirt us causing flooding, outages, food shortage, gas shortage etc.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:00 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Drama queens? Really? Well good for you you haven't been affected, but we certainly have. As others have stated, even when not a direct hit, serious damage can be sustained, We had a tree fall over and crush our roof in 2004, can't remember which one did that, since that was the year that FOUR HURRICANES criss-crossed the state, you don't remember that?????

And power out for a week. We lived inland, north of Tampa on high ground, lots of wind damage, and since power was out, no water either because we were on a well. Those were some bad times, but we didn't have it nearly as bad as many in the CENTER of the state, who still didn't have roofs even a couple years later.

Old 05-21-2016, 03:16 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
Quote:
Wow drama queens? Overstated?

Gee I'd say whatever the opposite is of "drama queen" would apply to the opposite hyperbole that hurricanes should just be dismissed.

Just because you lived in a low risk safer hurricane county doesn't mean it's applicable to everywhere. And Hurricane David didn't even cause that much damage in FL.

Why don't you list the financial impact of each hurricane since 1979?

Or just try 2004 (followed by another bad year 2005).

Here: I'll do it for you:

Hurricane Frances alone caused $9.5 billion in damage as one of the costliest hurricanes in the country. With 37 deaths in FL. JUST FRANCES. Then we had a few OTHERS right away including Jeanne with another $8 Billion in damage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_A...rricane_Jeanne

My entire BUILDING and most of our HOA had to be rebuilt for an entire YEAR after the back to back hits in 2004.

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/hgh...7604108147391/

I've been flooded out of my HOA with impassible roads for the past three days due to the record rains and as a dog walker/pet sitter I dont' have the luxury of sitting around in my condo laughing about it while my client's dogs and cats are locked up in their houses unattended.

Luckily I can stay at any of my clients' homes while they're away.

The same "RAIN" that caused tornadoes in St Lucie County and damage 3 days ago.

My kid had to stand holding a queen sized mattress up against his front door during RITA for EIGHT HOURS. As he watched a tree fall down on his new car. Then had to fight strangers up at Publix who kept trying to steal his little portable generator.

Let's see YOU do that and not be a "drama queen".

Last edited by runswithscissors; 05-21-2016 at 03:51 PM..

Old 05-21-2016, 04:27 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Wow drama queens? Overstated?

Gee I'd say whatever the opposite is of "drama queen" would apply to the opposite hyperbole that hurricanes should just be dismissed.

Just because you lived in a low risk safer hurricane county doesn't mean it's applicable to everywhere. And Hurricane David didn't even cause that much damage in FL.

Why don't you list the financial impact of each hurricane since 1979?

Or just try 2004 (followed by another bad year 2005).

Here: I'll do it for you:

Hurricane Frances alone caused $9.5 billion in damage as one of the costliest hurricanes in the country. With 37 deaths in FL. JUST FRANCES. Then we had a few OTHERS right away including Jeanne with another $8 Billion in damage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_A...rricane_Jeanne

My entire BUILDING and most of our HOA had to be rebuilt for an entire YEAR after the back to back hits in 2004.

Flickriver: Photoset 'Hurricane Charley 2004' by HGHjim

I've been flooded out of my HOA with impassible roads for the past three days due to the record rains and as a dog walker/pet sitter I dont' have the luxury of sitting around in my condo laughing about it while my client's dogs and cats are locked up in their houses unattended.

Luckily I can stay at any of my clients' homes while they're away.

The same "RAIN" that caused tornadoes in St Lucie County and damage 3 days ago.

My kid had to stand holding a queen sized mattress up against his front door during RITA for EIGHT HOURS. As he watched a tree fall down on his new car. Then had to fight strangers up at Publix who kept trying to steal his little portable generator.

Let's see YOU do that and not be a "drama queen".
Thank you!!!!

Old 05-22-2016, 04:20 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
Bad damage can and does happen from hurricanes and tropical storms all over the state.

I would be more concerned about your housing allowance.

$100K is going to put you in an area that is conducive to meth labs and undesirables.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida