U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-19-2016, 05:30 PM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 13,212,782 times
Reputation: 6009

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urosfan View Post
Thanks for the replies to all. I won't be working, just relaxing lol. Looking to rent at first orb would like to stay around 2,000 or less a month for rent initially.will go higher if needed.
You Need to Make a Whopping $158,000/Year to Live Comfortably in NYC | spoiled NYC
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-20-2016, 07:15 AM
 
1,444 posts, read 1,922,400 times
Reputation: 1162
Do you want to be near the beach? And other than the weather and relaxation what are you looking for. Florida has from South Beach nightlife scene with beautiful people to rustic cabin in the woods in the Ocala National Forest( 1.5 hour drive to Orlando or Jacksonville 30 minute drive to the store not sure what you consider 'near')

It really depends on what you are looking for in a new home.

Jacksonville has the Mayo Clinic, Cleveland clinic is in Weston to give some well known names. But if you are looking for primary care and access to specialists most of Florida would be a fit.

I find things I like about most areas of Florida. When you are in some of the smaller towns it can be rural or have lots of retirees and the sidewalks are rolled up at 9PM.

I live near Jacksonville and I like it. It is not overrun with snowbirds and tourists. You can live right on the beach and be 20 minutes from big city amenities; but for people looking for absolutely no winter, Jacksonville is not a fit. It can get cold. We have a handful of freezes every year. The dead winter in Jax is like late October or November in New York. If you want year round warmth stay south of Melbourne or Tampa. Jacksonville is very "Southern" as well in contrast to someplace like Sarasota. Jax is a metro area of 1.5 million so there is quite a bit of diversity, the Navy brings people from everywhere.

If you are Hispanic( or even if non-Hispanic) and want to be able to speak Spanish everywhere Kissimmee or Miami would be perfect.

You are probably more familiar with Miami and Orlando, Florida is varied and diverse, just figure out what is important to you
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2016, 10:10 AM
 
11 posts, read 6,275 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
Do you want to be near the beach? And other than the weather and relaxation what are you looking for. Florida has from South Beach nightlife scene with beautiful people to rustic cabin in the woods in the Ocala National Forest( 1.5 hour drive to Orlando or Jacksonville 30 minute drive to the store not sure what you consider 'near')

It really depends on what you are looking for in a new home.

Jacksonville has the Mayo Clinic, Cleveland clinic is in Weston to give some well known names. But if you are looking for primary care and access to specialists most of Florida would be a fit.

I find things I like about most areas of Florida. When you are in some of the smaller towns it can be rural or have lots of retirees and the sidewalks are rolled up at 9PM.

I live near Jacksonville and I like it. It is not overrun with snowbirds and tourists. You can live right on the beach and be 20 minutes from big city amenities; but for people looking for absolutely no winter, Jacksonville is not a fit. It can get cold. We have a handful of freezes every year. The dead winter in Jax is like late October or November in New York. If you want year round warmth stay south of Melbourne or Tampa. Jacksonville is very "Southern" as well in contrast to someplace like Sarasota. Jax is a metro area of 1.5 million so there is quite a bit of diversity, the Navy brings people from everywhere.

If you are Hispanic( or even if non-Hispanic) and want to be able to speak Spanish everywhere Kissimmee or Miami would be perfect.

You are probably more familiar with Miami and Orlando, Florida is varied and diverse, just figure out what is important to you
Thanks for the response, i dont have to be right near the beach i would say 30 mins drive to the beach would be nice. I would prefer suburb feel like westchester county and or long island feel would like to be like 30 mins to 45 mins big city amenities would be nice and the biggest thing would be school
District and things to do for the kids. I should have clarified primary care is ali i need in regards to doctors and stuff. Thank you once again
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2016, 10:43 AM
 
Location: Sarasota, FL
7 posts, read 8,388 times
Reputation: 15
Sarasota is a known hot spot and there are some good private schools in Bradenton. The rent for a house starts between $1300.00 and goes up from there. There a nice downtown area and beautiful beaches. Crime rate isn't that bad for a city of over 390,00 people.

Be prepared for warm hot weather!!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2016, 11:05 AM
 
11 posts, read 6,275 times
Reputation: 15
Warm weather beats snow any day of the week lol thanks for the suggestion though
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2016, 12:12 PM
 
Location: North Carolina
3,550 posts, read 6,147,709 times
Reputation: 5368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urosfan View Post
Warm weather beats snow any day of the week lol thanks for the suggestion though
Warm or hot? Big difference.. 110 heat index in Naples today with 80% humidity. Feels every bit of it too. That's May. Wait till you see Aug. and for those "it doesn't get that hot"... Yes it does

Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2016, 12:59 PM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 13,212,782 times
Reputation: 6009
If anybody would think that FL, overall, does not get hot and humid in the summer must have spent most of their life in a dark closed box.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2016, 01:32 PM
 
Location: North Carolina
3,550 posts, read 6,147,709 times
Reputation: 5368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
If anybody would think that FL, overall, does not get hot and humid in the summer must have spent most of their life in a dark closed box.
I think (and I think most of us on this board can agree) that they mistake warm vs. hot. A lot of places in the US are warm during the summer but at night frequently get down into the 50's and 60's and cool off. They have a cooler morning and it warms during the day and then repeats. We do not have that pattern and its not unusual to see us remain in the upper 90's and 100+ heat index all night with humidity still staying around 100%. That's where I think a lot of people start to say they can't escape the heat and its smothering. Its day AND night. Living in NH it cooled off considerably at night, sometimes needing sweaters even in the summer. Here its oppressive 24/7 for 8 months+
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2016, 02:48 PM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 13,212,782 times
Reputation: 6009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I think (and I think most of us on this board can agree) that they mistake warm vs. hot. A lot of places in the US are warm during the summer but at night frequently get down into the 50's and 60's and cool off. They have a cooler morning and it warms during the day and then repeats. We do not have that pattern and its not unusual to see us remain in the upper 90's and 100+ heat index all night with humidity still staying around 100%. That's where I think a lot of people start to say they can't escape the heat and its smothering. Its day AND night. Living in NH it cooled off considerably at night, sometimes needing sweaters even in the summer. Here its oppressive 24/7 for 8 months+

I guess a lot of people dont have a problem with hot weather as there are 20 million people here now compared to over 9 million in 1980, over 12 million 1990 and 16 million by 2000. I am certain most of them understood FL weather before they got here.

I personally do not find the weather "oppressive". Is it hot? Of course its hot from May-October as I see it.
FL weather has never interfered with my daily life. I dont mow the lawn or do any laborious work outside in the summer from 11 am until 5 pm but that is about the only adjustment I make.

I am not a fan of cold weather.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2016, 01:35 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
6,009 posts, read 3,347,532 times
Reputation: 7675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I guess a lot of people dont have a problem with hot weather as there are 20 million people here now compared to over 9 million in 1980, over 12 million 1990 and 16 million by 2000. I am certain most of them understood FL weather before they got here.

I personally do not find the weather "oppressive". Is it hot? Of course its hot from May-October as I see it.
FL weather has never interfered with my daily life. I dont mow the lawn or do any laborious work outside in the summer from 11 am until 5 pm but that is about the only adjustment I make.

I am not a fan of cold weather.
I noticed a pattern where people who actually grew up in Florida, and never lived where it is cold, a lot of us end up getting sick of the heat and want to move out where the weather gets colder, and then you get the thousands upon thousands of northerners with the reverse. They got tired of the cold up north and came down where it is warm over 90% of the year. The grass is always greener, huh? Lol

I personally could not stand the heat in Florida, so I'm glad I'm out. Now I know what you're thinking "But Texas gets hotter weather than Florida.." yea, for 3 months only. Otherwise it is wonderful, plus we still have a winter, which I love (just wish it was snowier and colder) I also did not move here for the weather, but I do appreciate it and see it as a plus.

Btw for as hot as Texas is in the summer, you can still have the occasional early and late summer relief. I was living in Abilene and on June 1st our low was 57. 57 is Miami around Christmas time! Then in late August we had a cool front where it dipped to about 65 degrees and the next day the high was 80. This was in rural west Texas at the time. You don't find such relief further south in the state though, I wouldn't want to live in Houston or San Antonio.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top