Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 06:31 PM

11 posts, read 9,346 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Looking at a possible move to Florida lifelong New Yorker from nyc looking for warmer weather.my concerns are as follows lookimg for excellent school systems, low crime areas, would like to be somewhat nearmedical providers. Open to suggestions and I will be renting at first . Thanks to all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 06:41 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,442,558 times
Naples

Old 05-18-2016, 08:16 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,633,582 times
Liberty City, Opa Locka, Lauderhill. There are a few good options.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:27 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,962,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Naples
hope they have a hefty budget

Old 05-19-2016, 07:30 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,692,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Liberty City, Opa Locka, Lauderhill. There are a few good options.
lol. Nice suggestions.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:43 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,633,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
lol. Nice suggestions.
Just suggestions based on the grammar of the original post. You really have to get a good feel for the posters and where you think they would best fit in.

Old 05-19-2016, 01:40 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,572,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urosfan View Post
Hello all,

Looking at a possible move to Florida lifelong New Yorker from nyc looking for warmer weather.my concerns are as follows lookimg for excellent school systems, low crime areas, would like to be somewhat nearmedical providers. Open to suggestions and I will be renting at first . Thanks to all
If you are a life-long New Yorker from the city, you will have some culture shock just about anywhere in Florida. ( even moving to Long Island or New Jersey suburbs can be a shock) Be prepared for driving much more than in the city, everything is spread out. If you move to Northern Florida or Central Florida you will find it to be very "Southern" or "Country" and you will have neighbors from all over.

Any of the larger metro locations will have medical providers galore.

What kind of budget for housing? Will you be working and what field do you work in? Do you have a job lined up or are you searching for one?

Florida is defintyly warmer than NYC, remember it will be HOT from April thru November. Like a July or August heat wave that goes on for months. ( I like the heat so it doesn't bother me, i think Jax is too cold sometimes)

Do you have any family or friend in Florida? Maybe take a trip to scout some places out

Old 05-19-2016, 01:55 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,460,736 times
If you want to avoid high crime, avoid the southeastern part of the state, unless you wanna pay an arm and a leg for an expensive suburb. Schools suck through much of the state, you gotta weed them out. There are some good public schools, but again, those are in more expensive areas. Excellent school systems like in the north, yeah, not gonna happen. I dunno about New York, but Florida is a standardised testing purgatory. They did away with the dreaded FCAT apparently, but my siblings tell me they made a worse even more difficult and arbitrary test.

Any urban area is going to have medical providers, though. And if you want good schools, you won't find them way out in the sticks.

I personally prefer the gulf side of Florida to the east side. Central Florida's also nice. I'd avoid Miami like the plague, at least for living.

Old 05-19-2016, 02:17 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,442,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
hope they have a hefty budget
They are coming from NY lot and lots of New Yorker's are living there, so they are used to paying high housing prices.

Old 05-19-2016, 05:14 PM

11 posts, read 9,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
If you are a life-long New Yorker from the city, you will have some culture shock just about anywhere in Florida. ( even moving to Long Island or New Jersey suburbs can be a shock) Be prepared for driving much more than in the city, everything is spread out. If you move to Northern Florida or Central Florida you will find it to be very "Southern" or "Country" and you will have neighbors from all over.

Any of the larger metro locations will have medical providers galore.

What kind of budget for housing? Will you be working and what field do you work in? Do you have a job lined up or are you searching for one?

Florida is defintyly warmer than NYC, remember it will be HOT from April thru November. Like a July or August heat wave that goes on for months. ( I like the heat so it doesn't bother me, i think Jax is too cold sometimes)

Do you have any family or friend in Florida? Maybe take a trip to scout some places out
Thanks for the replies to all. I won't be working, just relaxing lol. Looking to rent at first orb would like to stay around 2,000 or less a month for rent initially.will go higher if needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida