U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 04:43 PM

1,141 posts, read 768,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsVaslovik View Post
My own experience in Florida over the last 6 years has been that it's impossible to make friends here. If people here don't already know you they don't want to, unless they are those looking to use you in some way or get something from you. If you can deal with that and just keep to yourself it's a pretty nice place to live. Just keep them all at arm's reach, or further. Just hole up by yourself and enjoy the peace of that and you will be fine.
I feel like I have known my neighbors my whole life and it's only been eight months. I have helped them plant new bushes around their house and there's hardly a day that goes by one of them doesn't come over to see us or pet our dog. They are always asking us to go fishing or ride bikes or something. They have lived in Florida for 20 yrs and are an asset to have if we need to know anything about the area. Great people don't come around like that every day and we feel blessed to have them next door. Don't give up because you never know what's around the corner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2016, 10:12 AM

3,552 posts, read 6,176,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsVaslovik View Post
My own experience in Florida over the last 6 years has been that it's impossible to make friends here. If people here don't already know you they don't want to, unless they are those looking to use you in some way or get something from you. If you can deal with that and just keep to yourself it's a pretty nice place to live. Just keep them all at arm's reach, or further. Just hole up by yourself and enjoy the peace of that and you will be fine.
I have to say I never really experienced that in the 40 years I have been here. Until 2015.

My 1st neighborhood had all Florida natives(husband from TN, me from Illinois) and they accepted us and became friends for life. We moved up to the 2nd neigborhood and our neighbors were from all over the world. My kids gained a Jamaican and Italian grandmother and a whole new group of friends they went to school with and played with until they left for college. Even in the condo we lived in while building a new house in a different neighborhood we had good neighbors and helped each other out-especially during the hurricanes. At the new house we didn't have a lot of close houses but the fire of 2007 brought us together more. Then we moved to a smaller house(1500 sq ft) when we retired. The first year everyone on the street became our friends. Then one neighbor inherited the farm back in Pennsylvania and he rented the house.....within a week got the post card saying he was a sex offender. Ugh Then the man next door got married and they moved. His house was bought by a corp that rents it. The renters this time are just strange. Any effort from any of the neighbors to even just wave or say hi has been met by them or their kids snubbing us all and running in the house. Unfriendliest people we have ever met. Makes you wonder if they don't want to get to know anyone because they are hiding out here. Vehicles have never been registered in the state and 1 sat without tags in undriveable state for at least the last 7 months. Sorry to say but we can't wait for them to leave and hope the next renters try to fit in a little more and at least smile. :-0 I guess we can say at least these renters did not burn their Christmas tree in the middle of the backyard like the last so maybe not so bad after all.

It is easy to add to your friends the parents of your kids friends and the people you work with, go to church with, meet in same interest type sports or hobbies/clubs and you can probably say you have as many friends in Florida as you had anywhere you lived. Just the fact that you are outside a lot down here makes making friends easier.
You just can't stay inside all the time. You have to make the effort. Usually, being friendly yourself is all it takes.

Old 06-05-2016, 06:04 PM

17,432 posts, read 10,510,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
You just can't stay inside all the time. You have to make the effort. Usually, being friendly yourself is all it takes.
In general friendly people have friends and unfriendly people have ..........................................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or