U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 02:43 PM

30 posts, read 57,104 times

Advertisements

I live in Wisconsin right now, but i ALWAYS loved Florida! i love how warm it is, and I love the palm trees most! I'm 20 years old right now and I'm planning on moving there possibly.. but there's one thing that's making me somewhat hesitant. I am TERRIFIED of spiders! all of them! they are so creepy because they look so demented and unnatural with all 8 of their long twisted legs and how they bite and their fangs! and how they can crawl on walls and run fast! it gives me the chills just thinking about it.

but the small ones aren't too much of a problem. I can easily kill them, but I'm REALLY afraid of the large ones! like the huntsman spiders! they're about the size of 2 human hands put together and they are TERRIFYING!

when i was 13 and 14 i lived with my biological uncle in the Dominican Republic. Luckily, he kept the humidity in his house turned down low (huntsman spiders can't survive in dry places because they shrivel up and die) but I will still find them dried up and dead near the doorways of our house, which still creeped me out but they weren't as scary as live ones..

I read online that they apparently have them in Florida... please tell me this isn't true...

To all the people who live in Florida, have you ever seen a huntsman spider?? or any giant spider walking around your house?? and if you do, how exactly do you kill them?
i guess you could squash or stomp them but their guts would get everywhere and that'd be disgusting! or do you flush them down the toilet? but can't they survive that?

and also, does anyone know how to keep spiders out of your house? that'd be the most helpful advice.
living in wisconsin, i find spiders in my house from time to time but they're tiny! and no where near as big as the monster spiders in the dominican republic! is the same in florida?

Old 05-26-2016, 03:09 PM

15,184 posts, read 31,120,332 times
There are loads of spiders in Florida, I like them, most are your FRIEND because they eat bugs and vermin. If you are that terrified, I wouldn't move here. I don't know what a "huntsman" spider is, but I have seen some pretty big ones, in every house I have ever lived in.

Remember, this is a hot, jungle-y state, and lots of critters and insects live here.

Old 05-26-2016, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
There are loads of spiders in Florida, I like them, most are your FRIEND because they eat bugs and vermin. If you are that terrified, I wouldn't move here. I don't know what a "huntsman" spider is, but I have seen some pretty big ones, in every house I have ever lived in.

Remember, this is a hot, jungle-y state, and lots of critters and insects live here.
ummm... i really didn't want to post a picture of what but here's what they look like...

PLEASE TELL ME YOU HAVE NEVER SEEN SPIDERS THAT BIG IN FLORIDA!

i mean, i can handle the common small house spiders the size of dimes or pin heads, but something like that would give me a heart-attack, even though im only 20 years old... I can't even stand looking at the picture!

and also, that one isn't even at it's full size... the larger ones are 20 times scarier

and i was actually planning on living in an apartment near the clear-water/tampa area

Old 05-26-2016, 06:31 PM

9,619 posts, read 6,597,302 times
Yeah, they're here. as posted above, most are your FRIENDS. Spiders here are kind of cool if anything. They are borderline friendly, in that they won't bother you if you leave them be. They don't come out in the open willingly, and they take care of unwanted vermin. We've had some huge black spider (not a widow, FYI) hide up in the attic and come out at night through a tiny peep hole in the ceiling since we moved here. It's still alive some 7 years later. It takes care of bugs, which are plentiful in FL, especially if you live in a wooded are like ours. If you hate them, I suggest you keep away LOL.

Old 05-26-2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Yeah, they're here. as posted above, most are your FRIENDS. Spiders here are kind of cool if anything. They are borderline friendly, in that they won't bother you if you leave them be. They don't come out in the open willingly, and they take care of unwanted vermin. We've had some huge black spider (not a widow, FYI) hide up in the attic and come out at night through a tiny peep hole in the ceiling since we moved here. It's still alive some 7 years later. It takes care of bugs, which are plentiful in FL, especially if you live in a wooded are like ours. If you hate them, I suggest you keep away LOL.
seriously?? you have got to be kidding me!
are they really that common?? and there not cool at all! they scare the hell out of me! they look so creepy twisted and unnatural and they have long scary legs!
plus they bite!

how often would you see one in the Tampa area of Florida? and would u find them in apartments too?

if they're really that common, then forget it, i'm moving to South Carolina instead...

Old 05-26-2016, 08:00 PM

874 posts, read 574,283 times
I haven't seen a single Huntsman spider... but the golden orbweavers are supercommon, and frequently pretty impressive in size. I've definitely seen their webs be 4 or more feet accross, and the spiders themselves are easily 4 inches from toetip to toetip. (Speaking of the larger females, sorry the boys never get that big).

If you're that terrified of spiders, opt for South Carolina.

Old 05-26-2016, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnRyan View Post
I haven't seen a single Huntsman spider... but the golden orbweavers are supercommon, and frequently pretty impressive in size. I've definitely seen their webs be 4 or more feet accross, and the spiders themselves are easily 4 inches from toetip to toetip. (Speaking of the larger females, sorry the boys never get that big).

If you're that terrified of spiders, opt for South Carolina.
i googled the golden orbweavers. they're not as scary as the huntsman spiders but ewwww! they are still creepy though and i would never want to run into one!

do u guys seriously find spiders that big walking around in your house?? i'm in wisconsin right now, and i see quite a few spiders every now and then but they're tiny! and i'm always able to kill them. i could easily kill a huntsman too but cleaning up it's guts would be a pain! i'm creeped out from just typing this and i can't even stand looking at pictures of them!

i always been terrified of huntsman spiders. when i lived in the Dominican republic, they had a ton of huntsman spiders in the Spanish villages. the kids who lived in the village were never afraid of them but i definitely was! one day, they filled up a whole bucket full of LIVE HUNTSMAN SPIDERS that were HUGE! much bigger than the one in that picture! and they dumped all of them on me... i didnt notice it right away but then i felt them crawling on me. and i even saw one crawl across my face and i flipped out!

they always scared me but i am terrified of seeing them now! and if i ever moved to an apartment and florida and saw a spider that big.. god forbid if it was at night.. I would scream sooo damn loud that i would wake up everyone and i would be evicted.

yeah, guess South Carolina would be a better place. I didnt think the Tampa area would have spiders like that. i just wanted to be in a place with palm trees but i guess south carolina is the best place so i can still get the palm trees and so i don't have to see giant spiders at all.

i feel like im the only person on this whole webforum who's afraid of spiders oh well.

Old 05-26-2016, 08:16 PM

i really am terrified of spiders. i can not stand them at all. i don't even like the small ones at all, but the small ones don't scare me too much.

i don't know how you guys aren't afraid of them either but they're gross, they're ugly, and they creep me out. and i'm actually really sad now that i can't move to florida without seeing them even though South Carolina seems like a beautiful place anyway and they still have palm trees.

but anyway, aren't there any ways of keeping them out of your house?? or out of your apartment?? like sprays or something like that??

and also, i was wondering, how likely would it be for you to find them in an apartment? or how likely are you to find them in general? is it rare?

Last edited by lonelyguy20; 05-26-2016 at 08:34 PM..

Old 05-26-2016, 11:58 PM

17,914 posts, read 17,814,409 times
I live in Dr. Phillips, which isn't a rural area, but the home I live in is in a non-HOA area, so it's more country feeling than the surrounding area. I was worried about spiders too because I have a small phobia of them. If I see one in the wild, I don't care, but the last thing I want is to see one crawl in bed with me lol. I haven't seen any spider the size of the picture you posted yet (been back in Orlando for 6 months), but I do see all types of spiders, most of them are very small (no bites or anything), but when I clean out my pool filter, I occasionally see a fairly fat one wash out (maybe the size of a quarter, but still fat) ewww.

You can hire a pest control company to spray and do some things inside the house (angieslist has a lot of these deas for like $60 or something) and then they will come back once every month or 3 months for like $25 to spray the outside). I've only done this one time back in January and I haven't had a problem inside the home, so I never continued the service.

Old 05-27-2016, 04:52 AM

1,142 posts, read 776,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonelyguy20 View Post
i really am terrified of spiders. i can not stand them at all. i don't even like the small ones at all, but the small ones don't scare me too much.

i don't know how you guys aren't afraid of them either but they're gross, they're ugly, and they creep me out. and i'm actually really sad now that i can't move to florida without seeing them even though South Carolina seems like a beautiful place anyway and they still have palm trees.

but anyway, aren't there any ways of keeping them out of your house?? or out of your apartment?? like sprays or something like that??

and also, i was wondering, how likely would it be for you to find them in an apartment? or how likely are you to find them in general? is it rare?

They will get in your car and drop down on you while you're driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or