U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-27-2016, 02:27 PM
 
Location: PVB
3,186 posts, read 1,616,830 times
Reputation: 3694

Advertisements

I advise anyone looking to move to Florida watch this PBS show Nova called Sinkholes - Buried Alive

Watch Full Episodes Online of NOVA on PBS | Sinkholes

They gave an example that if you had 50 acres you wanted to sell, you don't want to know if there are sinkholes because then you couldn't sell it. If a developer bought it they don't want to know because they put in all that infrastructure for nothing. The local government doesn't want to know because then they wouldn't get tax revenue. So in the end it falls on the homeowner.

I asked my realtor about sinkholes and he said they won't insure homes within a mile of one. I asked what would happen if one opened up within a mile of an existing developement, would they cancel everyones insurance? He had no answer for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-27-2016, 02:52 PM
 
Location: Westchester County, NY -> Pinellas County, FL -> Dutchess County, NY -> Denver?
348 posts, read 356,705 times
Reputation: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
I advise anyone looking to move to Florida watch this PBS show Nova called Sinkholes - Buried Alive

Watch Full Episodes Online of NOVA on PBS | Sinkholes

They gave an example that if you had 50 acres you wanted to sell, you don't want to know if there are sinkholes because then you couldn't sell it. If a developer bought it they don't want to know because they put in all that infrastructure for nothing. The local government doesn't want to know because then they wouldn't get tax revenue. So in the end it falls on the homeowner.

I asked my realtor about sinkholes and he said they won't insure homes within a mile of one. I asked what would happen if one opened up within a mile of an existing developement, would they cancel everyones insurance? He had no answer for me.
I would start worrying about those property taxes in Buffalo if i were you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2016, 05:11 PM
 
17,464 posts, read 10,539,112 times
Reputation: 8351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
I advise anyone looking to move to Florida watch this PBS show Nova called Sinkholes - Buried Alive

Watch Full Episodes Online of NOVA on PBS | Sinkholes

They gave an example that if you had 50 acres you wanted to sell, you don't want to know if there are sinkholes because then you couldn't sell it. If a developer bought it they don't want to know because they put in all that infrastructure for nothing. The local government doesn't want to know because then they wouldn't get tax revenue. So in the end it falls on the homeowner.

I asked my realtor about sinkholes and he said they won't insure homes within a mile of one. I asked what would happen if one opened up within a mile of an existing developement, would they cancel everyones insurance? He had no answer for me.
This will help.

Sinkhole Maps of Florida Counties

Please be aware that virtually every State has sinkholes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2016, 11:01 AM
 
1,444 posts, read 1,923,850 times
Reputation: 1163
Sinkholes are most common in Florida NW or Orlando and NNE of Tampa. ^^^ the sinkhole maps of each county will give you more information. You will notice most counties do not have more than a handful sinkholes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2016, 02:54 PM
 
261 posts, read 175,986 times
Reputation: 192
The terrible traffic and horrible infrastructure plans is the main problem here. Sinkholes big deal some counties get more than others some in Florida none at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2016, 01:15 AM
 
Location: In the hot spot!
3,390 posts, read 4,781,071 times
Reputation: 3186
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
This will help.

Sinkhole Maps of Florida Counties

Please be aware that virtually every State has sinkholes.



Even the desert has them!
https://wryheat.wordpress.com/2013/0...es-in-arizona/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2016, 11:37 PM
 
Location: Somewhere
8,071 posts, read 5,378,007 times
Reputation: 5654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
I advise anyone looking to move to Florida watch this PBS show Nova called Sinkholes - Buried Alive
It's not all Florida, it's only a problem in Western-Central Florida the area better known as Sinkhole alley. I personally wouldn't buy a property around that area for that reason.

I read something today about phosphate mining contributing to the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2016, 07:07 AM
 
1,444 posts, read 1,923,850 times
Reputation: 1163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
It's not all Florida, it's only a problem in Western-Central Florida the area better known as Sinkhole alley. I personally wouldn't buy a property around that area for that reason.

I read something today about phosphate mining contributing to the problem.
Taking lots of water out of the ground is the problem. Phosphate mining and agricuture take much more water than residential use.

The limestone substrate of Florida is the reason sinkholes happen here. They can happen anywhere in state but most common area is as described above..

Alachua County(Gainesville) and the city of Alachua get it's name from the Spanishization of the Timacua word for sinkhole... la chua



An article from insurance journal... Top 10 counties for sinkholes in FL. NW of Orlando and N or Tampa are the worst
http://www.insurancejournal.com/news.../30/192278.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:08 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top