Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 07:48 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,460,736 times

Advertisements

There's no 60s in summer, for that to happen you have to be in north Florida and a rare day at that. Summer highs are in the 90s and lows in the mid 70s. Thunderstorms happen frequently in the afternoon. It can go from blistering sunshine with fluffy white clouds to a dark grey sky and pouring rain in a matter of minutes and then out of nowhere it clears off and you might see a rainbow

It's actually cool being on the beach or on a boat and seeing rainclouds over the ocean while its sunny in your spot. Summer is a great time for barbecuing, going to the beach or pool or going sailing or fishing. I loved summer when I lived in Florida, but I hated fall because fall is sposed to be cool and nice, but down in Florida its continuously hot until around Thanksgiving. The "cold fronts" are what y'all up north consider a warm October day. I love that I live where seasons change now, but Florida's always a day's drive away and having the best beaches in the contiguous US makes the hot sweltering summers more enjoyable.

It is hot, though. Wear sunblock, beware of fire ants and mosquitoes and do your best to cool off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 06:24 AM

1,978 posts, read 4,406,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstateanddown View Post
Everyone knows Florida has the most humid and oppressive sticky summers in the country aside from maybe gulf coast Texas and gulf coast cities , but I have a comparison question .

I'm up in the upstate New York mountain suburbs more so the valley and aside from a few weeks of humidity and a heat wave our weather is near perfect from may-October . However this past weekend we have had a rare late spring heatwave and it was 98 degrees Saturday with 62% humidity it was hot and it was sticky but it didn't really feel all that bad I was outside in for over an hour playing some basketball and it was fine . And then Later a quick storm rolled through and cooled off to the upper 60s and felt very nice .

Is that what Florida summers are for months on end ?
First off, your numbers are ludicrous and quite frankly, in my opinion, false. There's no way the temperature was 98 degrees with RH of 62%. That would put the dew point at 83 degrees. That doesn't even happen in Paramaribo Suriname. We get max dew points here of 80 degrees, and in an exceptionally rare case, 81.

Closer to reality would be to say that your temperature was in the 91 degree range with a dew point of 65 degrees. That would put the RH at 42%. That would still feel damp because a 65 degree dew point at 91 degrees as very sweatable. But seriously, nothing's gonna prepare you for our dew points. Just saying.

Old 06-12-2016, 06:27 AM

Here's a link to the archives for Saturday, May 28th in Rochester New York.

https://www.wunderground.com/history...lyHistory.html

Old 06-12-2016, 06:36 AM

You will never see a cool off of sixty something degrees here, at least in the summer. Night time temps are often 85 degrees and sometimes maybe cool down to 77 degrees. Dew points during the summer will always be above 73 degrees. Most commonly a dew point of 75 to 76. Day time temps will be in the high 80's most of the day and it will usually max out at 93 degrees which will trigger the thunderstorms which can cool it down to 78. That doesn't last long though, even at night because the ground temperature, which runs quite deep will radiate back up to evaporate that rain and turn it into steam and suddenly that temperature will jump back up to 84 to 85 degrees at night.

Old 06-12-2016, 08:06 AM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
There's no 60s in summer, for that to happen you have to be in north Florida and a rare day at that. Summer highs are in the 90s and lows in the mid 70s. Thunderstorms happen frequently in the afternoon. It can go from blistering sunshine with fluffy white clouds to a dark grey sky and pouring rain in a matter of minutes and then out of nowhere it clears off and you might see a rainbow

It's actually cool being on the beach or on a boat and seeing rainclouds over the ocean while its sunny in your spot. Summer is a great time for barbecuing, going to the beach or pool or going sailing or fishing. I loved summer when I lived in Florida, but I hated fall because fall is sposed to be cool and nice, but down in Florida its continuously hot until around Thanksgiving. The "cold fronts" are what y'all up north consider a warm October day. I love that I live where seasons change now, but Florida's always a day's drive away and having the best beaches in the contiguous US makes the hot sweltering summers more enjoyable.

It is hot, though. Wear sunblock, beware of fire ants and mosquitoes and do your best to cool off.
60's have happened every month here in the summer in the Tampa area. Only reason we saw 60's in July and Aug was thanks to strong T-storms with very high tops. I have also seen high 50's in late June and also Tampa saw lows of 58 two days in a row in Sept of 81 and highs around 78. That was a freak strong front.

Old 06-12-2016, 12:41 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
I will say that summers in South Florida are much more comfortable than my summers on the coast of South Carolina.

Here the temps have only hit 100 degrees since they've been keeping records.

In SC the temps regularly hit 100 degrees in July with the heat index in the 120s.

That doesn't happen here.

I do everything I do in the winter here in the summer. I just stay in the ocean long in July than I do in January.

Old 06-12-2016, 05:34 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,252,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
Keep in mind there are plenty of people on this forum that keep their Air conditioners set at 80 and think it is comfortable.

Florida has some very hot and humid summers. Not only that but summer weather lately can stretch all the way into December some years. Used to be that October, right around Halloween, was like a switch. More recent years (say the last 8 or so) it feels like Summer is creeping all the way through November and even into December some years.

Overall all though July, August, September and into October are terrible months to be here. June is hot but doesn't feel quite as bad because you just finished the spring.

Fall? What fall. We don't have a fall season anymore. At least not for the last 7 or 8 years that I remember.

Winter is usually very nice. December, January, February and March are great months almost any year. April and even May can be nice like it was for the first 2 weeks of this year.

Just like up North, you pretty much deal with 4 -5 months of crap weather. You just have to pick cold / snow vs hot and humid.
Very accurate post!

Old 06-12-2016, 05:44 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,252,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I love the weather in Florida and look forward to summer the most, to each their own lol
Good for you. I am the opposite, the summer is my least favorite time of the year in FL. It is too hot, it rains too much, and too many bugs. For me, Dec., Jan and Feb. when we have a nice cool winter. March can be a nice month as well.

Old 06-12-2016, 07:28 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post

Go to this site and put in a city and State and look at the Dew point as it controls humidity.

This link is for Melbourne FL.

https://weatherspark.com/averages/30...-United-States

Scroll down to see the dew oint and other information.

In checking many cities the biggest difference is not the max heat/humidity it is simply that in FL it lasts longer. Most places are just as bad but not for as long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida