Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 09:07 PM

11,936 posts, read 12,997,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Lol, you have been around here, surely you have read her 14 page posts before - well, skimmed them, nobody reads the whole thing.

Of course this is horrible advice. "Yeah, skip doses of your critical medication and supplements with herbal remedies from the hippy that lives at the park"
LOL, yes, your are correct.

Old 06-06-2016, 03:28 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,212,739 times

Old 06-06-2016, 06:55 PM

14,799 posts, read 11,943,405 times
I don't know about getting drunk as a skunk duringthe hurricane, that makes it hard to run in a straight line in the event you have to get out of the way of something crashing through your roof or window. I'd get that liquor for after the storm. IMO staying pleasantly plastered through the aftermath of the storm, dealing with the insurance company, county bureaucrats, neighbors, looters and contractors is the best way to go,

Old 06-07-2016, 10:17 AM

3,845 posts, read 7,913,543 times
That storm was Lame-O.. I think we got maybe 30 mins of rain total in Naples..

Old 06-07-2016, 12:20 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,824,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
AWESOME info, Travelassie.

We live in Palm Harbor, 3 miles from the gulf coast.

Because of your excellent post, I found the following and feel much better. THANK YOU!!!

Pinellas County, Florida - Emergency Management - Home Page

Pinellas County, Florida - Emergency Management - Special Needs

Sweet! Travelassie Rocks!

Old 06-07-2016, 12:24 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,669,445 times
Great thread, we are moving in on June 26 and have been looking at how to be prepared. Sounds like the normal (water, supplies, first aid, ect ect) we will not have hurricane shutters but our home is pretty inland and not in a flood zone. It's built well with hurricane clips and such which helped keep insurance cost down. Course it doesn't mean something couldn't happen. We will be prepared still for a worse case situation.

I'm glad this storm wasn't bad since we couldn't be there to watch over the house.

Old 06-07-2016, 12:56 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,824,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemodeled View Post
Great thread, we are moving in on June 26 and have been looking at how to be prepared. Sounds like the normal (water, supplies, first aid, ect ect) we will not have hurricane shutters but our home is pretty inland and not in a flood zone. It's built well with hurricane clips and such which helped keep insurance cost down. Course it doesn't mean something couldn't happen. We will be prepared still for a worse case situation.

I'm glad this storm wasn't bad since we couldn't be there to watch over the house.
So excited for you!!

Old 06-07-2016, 02:10 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,214,396 times
Quote:

Hurricane Charley wiped out parts of Arcadia and Zolfo Springs, around 60 miles inland.

Old 06-07-2016, 03:48 PM

Quote:

Are you talking about the metal hurricane straps used to attach the roof trusses to the tie beam at the top of the walls? Those are required according to current building codes, and as I understand it additional nails are now required by code to attach them. Those keep the trusses from flying off in a storm, providing a different sort of protection than shutters. Shutters help to protect windows from flying debris in high winds, and those hurricane force winds happen anywhere the path of the storm goes, whether or not the path crosses designated flood zones.

You might want to check out getting shutters, panels, or some sort of window protection for future storms once you get moved here and things settle down.

Old 06-07-2016, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
Sweet! Travelassie Rocks!
Thanks... just some tips from a storm-worn veteran here. Been in Florida for 40 years and seen a number of storms. Mostly tropical storms, thank goodness. And direct impact by three hurricanes, Andrew (1992) Katrina and Wilma (both in 2005).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida