U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 07:56 PM

11,646 posts, read 7,831,598 times

Advertisements

I have a lot of friends down in Florida and in South Georgia keep all of you who are being effected by Imra in our thoughts.

I just checked the NCH website out in all of Florida looks like it's going to be hit.

National Hurricane Center
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2018, 01:50 PM

12 posts, read 4,774 times
Could anyone give me an idea of what windstorm insurance cost down there post Irma? Friend and I looking at homes in mid Keys, both Townhouses and single family. In the range of 1500-2000 feet all with either shutters or impact windows, usually concrete block construction. Some say "above flood level" but I think that only affects flood rates, not wind(?). Thanks.

Old 05-20-2018, 10:47 AM

10,197 posts, read 6,122,088 times
I have a flashlight that can crank to get power, it never needs batteries. I use it every time it's dark outside when I take my dogs out to the backyard. It also has a little radio built in, but with just a scan and select button. I also have a lamp that is LED and looks like a mini camping lamp but that uses batteries but it lasts a long time.

Water. I save some empty 2 liter soda bottles, if I have to I will fill them with water for extra drinking water. I also try to fill a container with water for the tub in case it goes out. I have city water so the electric going out does not affect it like a well pump does. I also always have at least a case of bottled water at home at all times. If a storm is coming they see it coming a few days ahead that's the time to stock up on bottled water because it's the first thing to go.

Crackers are good to have. They last longer than bread as far as non spoilage, but will get stale if you buy them too many months ahead and put them in your pantry. Peanut butter and jelly is great to have too.

As far as food canned meats are the best and first things to go. Tuna, canned chicken, deviled ham, vienna sausages, etc. Those will be gone when the supermarkets reopen and the supermarkets will not have much food or any food in the cold or frozen or fresh produce section. After Irma my local supermarket shelves were empty. Some dried salami or pepperoni the uncut ones that come in a skinny roll is also good and will last a few days without much refrigeration.

You also need dog or cat food if you have pets and fresh water for them.

Have a medication bag ready if you need to leave too, as well as toothpaste and toothbrush and deodorant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or