U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-03-2016, 04:45 PM
 
Location: SW Florida
964 posts, read 459,854 times
Reputation: 1549

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
30+ year resident. I don't even bat an eye unless it's nearing a cat 3 and then I may just fill the tubs. Have yet to evacuate, it's harder to get back in than get out. Most of the time they don't let you back in to even assess damage and you're stuck floundering between hotels and trying again and again. . Even for Wilma which was cat 5 then 4 on impact I stuck around.

The news will try and scare you and hype everyone up. Everything is "get your supplies now , stock up for 2 weeks" etc etc. you see mass chaos 9 days out where people are fighting over and friggin can of soup. It's a lost cause half the time. Wait till about 3 days before. You'll have a better idea where impact is. Even then it's not certain. Charlie changed course 2 hours before impact and destroyed Port Charlotte. Was suppose to hit Tampa area. I mostly take anything in from the porch, fill
The tubs and have some water handy. The stores won't be down for weeks so food will be available sooner than you think. If yore lucky enough to be on the same switch board as a shelter you'll have power quick. I've never gone longer than 2 days.
I wonder if our local school is a shelter. That might explain why they're putting in concrete power poles on Gulfstream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-03-2016, 04:59 PM
 
Location: SW Florida
8,018 posts, read 5,042,519 times
Reputation: 9862
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
Excellent info, Travelassie.

Here are a few issues I know we need to reconcile:

1) Because of serious health issues, I am on multiple medications. Two of them are ones I cannot get until I am two days from running out. This could be a huge issue, if the timing is bad.mYhere is no way to get those two stocked up.

2) We always have extra batteries, but have been having a problem with them leaking when not in use.

3) Because of my health issues, evacuating is pretty much not a possibility. I need to stay horizontal as much as possible. 99% of the day.

4) We have a bedroom window air conditioner, so we do not have to AC the entire house that cool at night. Wondering how I would run a power cable to it, if we were to purchase a portable propane generator. The AC power cord is indoors, but the generator would be outside.

5) Speaking of portable generators, how do people prevent them from being stolen in times of need? Seems like an easy crime of opportunity.
I know, getting medications refilled before the dates that the insurance companies will pay for the refills has occasionally been a a problem for us in the past when we tried to get medication refilled in advance of an approaching storm. I think we ran into that situation with my daughter's asthma medication one time. I think we lucked out and the storm went elsewhere, which WAS lucky because even though we were only about two days early for the regular refill, the insurance company wouldn't pay.
But to keep you from running into the same problem in the event of a hurricane, my suggestion would be to speak to your pharmacist ( or doc) ahead of time about this, they might well call the insurance company and explain that the refills need to be obtained earlier than usual in preparation for an approaching storm, because you will not be able to get the refill if the storm hits. If it's possible to have some extra medication around ( not always possible, I know), that may tide you over a few days if you can't get refills.

As for evacuating, if you aren't on the coast or in a mobile home, it is likely you won't need to evacuate. You would get your house prepared (shutters, outside stuff that might blow around in) and find the safest spot, perhaps a closet or a bathroom-away from windows or doors, and hunker down there during the storm. Finding the safest place first would hopefully mean you don't have to move to a safer place in the house in the event a window blows out, or something.

Should you need to evacuate, you'd most likely fall into a special needs category, and you could be transported by medivan to a shelter set up for people with similar needs. But you have to register with your county ahead of time, so they know your needs and where you are located. You can contact your county emergency management folks-now would be a good time, to see what the process involves and get specific contact numbers and information. It's my understanding that folks on the special needs evacuation list need to register every year.

As for plugging an outside generator into an inside appliance, seems to me they use extension cords from the generator to the appliance via a slightly opened window or door. And keeping your generator from being stolen? I'd guess that making it harder for a thief to walk off with it would help, I've seen generators chained to structures in stores to keep them from walking away. If you are buying a generator, you might get some suggestions from the sales folks in that regard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2016, 05:20 PM
 
Location: USA's #1 MSA 4 Years Running
8,569 posts, read 7,306,320 times
Reputation: 4885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I know, getting medications refilled before the dates that the insurance companies will pay for the refills has occasionally been a a problem for us in the past when we tried to get medication refilled in advance of an approaching storm. I think we ran into that situation with my daughter's asthma medication one time. I think we lucked out and the storm went elsewhere, which WAS lucky because even though we were only about two days early for the regular refill, the insurance company wouldn't pay.
But to keep you from running into the same problem in the event of a hurricane, my suggestion would be to speak to your pharmacist ( or doc) ahead of time about this, they might well call the insurance company and explain that the refills need to be obtained earlier than usual in preparation for an approaching storm, because you will not be able to get the refill if the storm hits. If it's possible to have some extra medication around ( not always possible, I know), that may tide you over a few days if you can't get refills.

As for evacuating, if you aren't on the coast or in a mobile home, it is likely you won't need to evacuate. You would get your house prepared (shutters, outside stuff that might blow around in) and find the safest spot, perhaps a closet or a bathroom-away from windows or doors, and hunker down there during the storm. Finding the safest place first would hopefully mean you don't have to move to a safer place in the house in the event a window blows out, or something.

Should you need to evacuate, you'd most likely fall into a special needs category, and you could be transported by medivan to a shelter set up for people with similar needs. But you have to register with your county ahead of time, so they know your needs and where you are located. You can contact your county emergency management folks-now would be a good time, to see what the process involves and get specific contact numbers and information. It's my understanding that folks on the special needs evacuation list need to register every year.

As for plugging an outside generator into an inside appliance, seems to me they use extension cords from the generator to the appliance via a slightly opened window or door. And keeping your generator from being stolen? I'd guess that making it harder for a thief to walk off with it would help, I've seen generators chained to structures in stores to keep them from walking away. If you are buying a generator, you might get some suggestions from the sales folks in that regard.
AWESOME info, Travelassie.

We live in Palm Harbor, 3 miles from the gulf coast.

Because of your excellent post, I found the following and feel much better. THANK YOU!!!

Pinellas County, Florida - Emergency Management - Home Page

Pinellas County, Florida - Emergency Management - Special Needs
__________________
My mod posts will be bolded in red.

The Rules ~ Infractions & Deletions ~ Who's the moderator? ~ FAQ ~ Personal Attacks ~ Trolling ~ Copyrighted Material
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2016, 05:23 PM
KPB
 
1,102 posts, read 522,179 times
Reputation: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
Excellent info, Travelassie.

Here are a few issues I know we need to reconcile:

1) Because of serious health issues, I am on multiple medications. Two of them are ones I cannot get until I am two days from running out. This could be a huge issue, if the timing is bad.mYhere is no way to get those two stocked up.

2) We always have extra batteries, but have been having a problem with them leaking when not in use.

3) Because of my health issues, evacuating is pretty much not a possibility. I need to stay horizontal as much as possible. 99% of the day.

4) We have a bedroom window air conditioner, so we do not have to AC the entire house that cool at night. Wondering how I would run a power cable to it, if we were to purchase a portable propane generator. The AC power cord is indoors, but the generator would be outside.

5) Speaking of portable generators, how do people prevent them from being stolen in times of need? Seems like an easy crime of opportunity.
I would definitely get a portable generator, especially where your at but I wouldn't get a very expensive one because chances are your never gonna need it. You can find some very inexpensive ones like this one http://www.harborfreight.com/4000-pe...iii-69729.html
You might want to get a couple heavy duty gauge extension cords, the thin ones are no good. Put the cord from your a/c out the window to your generator. The noise the generator makes is gonna drive you and your neighbors crazy so hopefully you have a shed (not attached to the house) that you could put it in to muffle the sound. I've seen people even dig a hole and put it in the ground. If you wanted to spend more on a better generator I'd get a Honda like this one Electric Generator Depot - Honda EU2000i Super Quiet Light Weight Inverter 2000W 120v Fuel Efficient Generator with Parallel Capability and Oil Alert
The Hondas are VERY quiet (your neighbors couldn't hear it). Chain it to a tree so it won't dissapear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2016, 05:29 PM
Status: "Wandering Soul" (set 1 day ago)
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
2,962 posts, read 4,988,947 times
Reputation: 4566
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHfan View Post
I wonder if our local school is a shelter. That might explain why they're putting in concrete power poles on Gulfstream.
Most of our high schools are because the corridors are inside (here in Naples).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2016, 05:33 PM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 11,405,164 times
Reputation: 5981
Most of you folks posted great info. I was a boy scout and our motto was "be prepared".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2016, 06:39 PM
 
Location: USA's #1 MSA 4 Years Running
8,569 posts, read 7,306,320 times
Reputation: 4885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Most of our high schools are because the corridors are inside (here in Naples).
I believe East Lake High School is one and it is right next to our neighborhood.
__________________
My mod posts will be bolded in red.

The Rules ~ Infractions & Deletions ~ Who's the moderator? ~ FAQ ~ Personal Attacks ~ Trolling ~ Copyrighted Material
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2016, 06:48 PM
 
Location: SW Florida
8,018 posts, read 5,042,519 times
Reputation: 9862
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHfan View Post
I wonder if our local school is a shelter. That might explain why they're putting in concrete power poles on Gulfstream.

It looks like each county's emergency management website has the list of emergency shelters, so you could check on your county's site and see if it is.

We're seeing FPL replacing a number of the old wood power poles around here with concrete poles around here too. And those concrete poles look strong enough to survive a nuclear blast, but I'm not so sure they're much stronger than the wooden poles, from what I have seen happen to them when they get hit, or even in a strong hurricane. We had concrete poles in Miami, and were very surprised to see the large number of those poles that broke, and/or fell over in hurricane Andrew. I recall their blocking the streets for days in southern Dade county, till they could be removed. We also saw an accident in Arcadia not too long ago involving an SUV that ran off the road and hit a concrete pole. We were surprised when that pole fell over, it appeared to be knocked off its base. I'd expect this might happen with a vehicle traveling at a high rate of speed, but they weren't going all that fast. Those poles are hollow down at their bases, but I don' t know if they are hollow all the way I (I would guess they are).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2016, 07:09 PM
 
Location: USA's #1 MSA 4 Years Running
8,569 posts, read 7,306,320 times
Reputation: 4885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
It looks like each county's emergency management website has the list of emergency shelters, so you could check on your county's site and see if it is.

We're seeing FPL replacing a number of the old wood power poles around here with concrete poles around here too. And those concrete poles look strong enough to survive a nuclear blast, but I'm not so sure they're much stronger than the wooden poles, from what I have seen happen to them when they get hit, or even in a strong hurricane. We had concrete poles in Miami, and were very surprised to see the large number of those poles that broke, and/or fell over in hurricane Andrew. I recall their blocking the streets for days in southern Dade county, till they could be removed. We also saw an accident in Arcadia not too long ago involving an SUV that ran off the road and hit a concrete pole. We were surprised when that pole fell over, it appeared to be knocked off its base. I'd expect this might happen with a vehicle traveling at a high rate of speed, but they weren't going all that fast. Those poles are hollow down at their bases, but I don' t know if they are hollow all the way I (I would guess they are).
I wonder why they do not just bury them all, just like in the individual neighborhoods.
__________________
My mod posts will be bolded in red.

The Rules ~ Infractions & Deletions ~ Who's the moderator? ~ FAQ ~ Personal Attacks ~ Trolling ~ Copyrighted Material
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2016, 07:33 PM
 
Location: Ozone Park,Ny
175 posts, read 638,621 times
Reputation: 102
Don't forget to fill all your vehicles with gas. After Sandy hit NY it was a mess to find gas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top