Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 02:56 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times

Advertisements

My sister-in-law and her husband moved here in the 90's. They only stayed a short while and moved back. Her husband hated the heat and humidity.

If all my family wasn't living here I might consider leaving although the older I get the less I hate it. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2016, 03:01 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
We are coming from northern NY-

Heat and humidity is the least of my problems- hot and humid here also in summer- and buggy. We are originally from LI so we are use to traffic.

Thanks everyone.

How long are your summers? Two or three months? I remember when I lived on Long Island we would have a heat spell during the summer where it would be unbearably hot and humid but that didn't last long. The problem here in Florida is that heat and humidity last a long, long, long time. We're talking May-November some years. Last year it stayed hot until after Christmas. Can you deal with that? Making your Thanksgiving meal and putting up your Christmas tree with the a/c on?

Old 06-05-2016, 04:06 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,962,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
How long are your summers? Two or three months? I remember when I lived on Long Island we would have a heat spell during the summer where it would be unbearably hot and humid but that didn't last long. The problem here in Florida is that heat and humidity last a long, long, long time. We're talking May-November some years. Last year it stayed hot until after Christmas. Can you deal with that? Making your Thanksgiving meal and putting up your Christmas tree with the a/c on?
Let's not forget even though it's hot during the day it usually cools off at night up north into the 50's and 60's. Here most nights we stay above 100 in heat index and humidity. It does not get cool at any point for 7-8 months

Old 06-05-2016, 04:25 PM

30,430 posts, read 21,248,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
We have around 5 hard core months of hell. Lows around 75 to 82 and highs around 87 to 94 with dew points around 68 to 82.

Old 06-05-2016, 04:30 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Let's not forget even though it's hot during the day it usually cools off at night up north into the 50's and 60's. Here most nights we stay above 100 in heat index and humidity. It does not get cool at any point for 7-8 months
Wow. Amazing. Its the most southern state in the CONUS. It is closer to the equator than any other CONUS state. Back in elementary school we were taught that the closer you get to the equator the warmer it gets and the seasons dont change much since temperatures stay warm year round.

Old 06-05-2016, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Wow. Amazing. Its the most southern state in the CONUS. It is closer to the equator than any other CONUS state. Back in elementary school we were taught that the closer you get to the equator the warmer it gets and the seasons dont change much since temperatures stay warm year round.
Not always true about being warmer. Look at NM and AZ , and they are not as close to the equator.

Old 06-05-2016, 04:58 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Not always true about being warmer. Look at NM and AZ , and they are not as close to the equator.
A lot closer than Seattle.

Old 06-05-2016, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
A lot closer than Seattle.
And Seattle is a lot closer than Yellow knife. So what does Seattle have to do with this thread?

Old 06-05-2016, 05:59 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Closer to the equator, hotter. Further South BUT Closer to water a bit less hot, but humid unless you are in the West (West of the Rockies). AZ hot and dry, FL hot and wet. AZ hotter as nothing to moderate the heat, FL less so due to the water around it

Old 06-06-2016, 05:34 AM

885 posts, read 1,166,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWitch View Post
Hey Karen,

What would you say is your number 1 fear about moving to Florida? Is it more the cost or political views?

My #1 fear is moving there and then not making ends meet. We will have 2 pensions- Hubbie's is descent mine is $540/month, plus SS. Hubbie wants to wait until 70- but at least 65- before taking his SS: I look mine at 62 because we needed the money. Without Hubbie's SS we will have approx. $4500/ month.

We don't live a "big" lifestyle. We don't travel, we don't have cable TV, no cell phones (tho we do have 2 pay as u go trac phones for emergencies- esp with old cars), our cars are 10 and 15 yrs old, etc. The only thing I don't skimp on is food- tho again I don't buy lobster tails or anything like that. We have special diets and/ or food allergies. I need to be gluten free.

We also have dogs on special diets due to allergies- 1 gets monthly allergy shots that I do- and 2 take thyroid medication, all of them take vitamin supplements. We do like to "do things"- free is best, and maybe go out to eat a few times a month. We save and roll our coins sometimes to do that.

We only want a small- and cheap- house in a good area- 800 to 1000sf. I don't want a mortgage, no CDD, HOA, or gated community.

Yes we are liberal, but have some very conservative friends here in NY. We laugh at each other but we are very good friends. We are friendly ppl and make friends with anyone as long as YOU are willing.

The reason we are moving is for health- doctor recommended a better climate- can't take the cold any more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida